Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 25, 2009, 4:20 AM   #1

I am considering either the FZ28 or the FZ50. (I already have the old FZ10 and have been pleased with it).

Apart from the obvious differences, what are the advantages of the FZ50 in terms of image quality or other issues?

I like the idea of a more solid camera with manual focus and zoom (more SLR feel) but not of I'm not going to get better results.

Thanks
joggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2009, 6:48 AM   #2

The FZ-50 is a very capable landscape camera which is excellent under daylight conditions. However, it is several generations older than the FZ-28 which has a much more modern image processor and is a more capable camera suited to a wider variety of photographic tasks.

I own and use both cameras. IMO the FZ-28 would be my choice.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 3:35 PM   #3

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
The FZ-50 is a very capable landscape camera which is excellent under daylight conditions. However, it is several generations older than the FZ-28 which has a much more modern image processor and is a more capable camera suited to a wider variety of photographic tasks.

I own and use both cameras. IMO the FZ-28 would be my choice.

Sarah Joyce
Quote:
Hi, I was looking at buying the fz-28 but just wanted to know would it be ok for things like concerts and taking pictures in africa?? Thanks
tracy_tks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 5:46 PM   #4

I have the FZ28. I have never had the FZ50, though I picked it up at a camera store and checked it out. I have owned a number of other superzooms from Olympus and Fuji.

Why I would pick the FZ28:

1. I like the extra zoom range, 27-486mm vs 35-420. It may not make that much difference at full telephoto, but I think it is a big difference at full wide angle. You can take pictures of bigger groups of people from closer up.

2. I think it's slightly better at higher ISO's - 800 and 1600. That means better natual light pictures in low light.

3. It's lighter - easier to carry around.

4. It does HD video.

Why others would pick the FZ50:

1. It's very solidly built.

2. It has a manual focus ring.

3. It takes great pictures in good light.

4. It has a hot shoe for external flashes.

I know a number of FZ50 owners have been waiting (maybe in vain) for a successor to the FZ50.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote