Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 28, 2009, 2:29 PM   #1

I last owned a Kodak P 850 which I loved, until it broke. Im now looking for a camera to replace it. I 'm specifically looking for suggestions of a camera with the following features:

Price range 200-300 dollars

ability to record video clips

good shutter speed

Prefer rechargable battery but its not a necessary feature.

We are currently considering a Kodak Z1015 and I did also look at a Fuji Finepix S2000hd

We dont do anything fancy with the camera but we do have a 2 year old who is the focus of most of our pictures. We also tend to take a lot of pictures outside, particular at the beach.

I know nothing about cameras - I was fortunate to get my P850 as a gift and loved it for the 3 years I had it.
Thanks for any advice!

rossmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2009, 6:56 PM   #2

Currently you can get a great deal on the Fuji S8100fd ($205, see http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Finep.../dp/B0012Y0BIE.) The S8100fd is better than either the Kodak Z1015is or the Fuji S2000hd.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 7:54 PM   #3

I've been very happy with my Fuji ultracompact. Never have owned a Fuji superzoom. If you do end up in the market for a Fuji, know that their new S1500 is coming -

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/fu..._s1500_pr.html

No reviews yet, of course. So how its performance will compare to the current S2000 or S8100 is unknown.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 9:27 AM   #4

THanks to both of you! I'll check them out!
rossmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:51 AM   #5

The Kodak Z1012 is excellent value and quite fully-featured (I have one, bought as a backup to my much-loved Z712). It's similar to the Z1015. There's quite a bit of discussion on their relative merits in the 'Kodak' forum here on Steve's.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 9:01 AM   #6

Just recently bought the Fuji FinePix S8100 and it has all the features you mentioned wanting plus it can either use AA batteries or rechargibles. I am still testing it out but have taken some great moving shots of my dog on the move..... It does have video with sound only drawback is you have to zoom in before you begin shooting the video, once shooting you can not zoom. Still testing it out myself but price wise I do not think you can go wrong, it does also allow use of manual settings and has the 35mm equivalent of 27-486mm zoom lens.
SJS314 is offline   Reply With Quote