Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 28, 2009, 3:22 PM   #1

I am going to finally jump in to the DSLR market and have pretty much decided on a Canon, but am tossed up on which one to purchase the XSI, 40d or 50d. I am an amature but want a camer that I can grow with. I will be shooting indoors and outdoors, primarly motocross and supercross along with with other events. If there are any lens that you guys would rec. along with the camera Iwouldgreatly appreciate it. I have noticed some pretty good deals on ebay for D50's right now that are new in the box.
madday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2009, 3:28 PM   #2

Well, if you're shooting indoor motocross you'll want to jump up to the 40d or 50d because you'll need the higher ISO capability. You'll also need something like a 70-200 2.8 lens - the canon is preferable, but the $850 Sigma 70-200 2.8 is a good choice if you can't afford the Canon. While the Tamron is sharp it doesn't have a good focus motor so it's a poor choice for sports shooting.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 3:36 PM   #3
Administrator

madday wrote:
Quote:
I am going to finally jump in to the DSLR market and have pretty much decided on a Canon, but am tossed up on which one to purchase the XSI, D40 or D50.
The D40 and D50 are Nikon dSLR models. Canon makes the EOS-40D (a.k.a., 40D) and EOS-50D (a.k.a., 50D).

Quote:
I have noticed some pretty good deals on ebay for D50's right now that are new in the box.
I assume you mean 50D versus D50 if you're looking at Canon models.

I'd check the vendors' feedback and history *very* carefully to make sure you're not dealing with a scam artist or buying gray market gear (not intended for sale in the country you live in). For an item like a new dSLR, I'd suggest buying from a reputable dealer like http://www.bhphotovideo.com instead.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 3:46 PM   #4

Jim, sorry I wasn't reading what I was typing. You are correct
Old Feb 28, 2009, 3:49 PM   #5

John, thanks I was leaning towards the 40D, but thought the 50 may be a better option for the indoor work. Thank you for the lens rec. as well.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 11:25 PM   #6

would you guys rec. going with an image stabilizing lens in the 70-200. I cant find an IS Sigma in the 70-200. I dont mind spending the extra money for the Canon with image stabilization if you think its worth it. Thanks again
Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:12 AM   #7

It depends on what else you plan on using the lens for. For the sports work it's not terribly useful but it can be for other types of low light work.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote