Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:57 AM   #1

should I wait just a bit longer for the spring releases?

I have my heart set on the Panasonic FZ28 mainly because of price / value / hd video.

But is there something way way better just around the corner (2 weeks?) that will A. be more enticing or B. drop the price of the FZ28 drastically?

I turn to you, oh steve digicam forum regulars!
sleepkyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:39 PM   #2

I kind of doubt the FZ28 price will sink much soon. It did sink in October and Novermber of last year, but then a couple good reviews came out and the demand increased and the supply seemingly decreased. What was once on sale at a special price of $239 at a reputabledealer rose to over $310. If you want to wait for six months, the FZ38 or whatever the successor is may come out, but I doubt the price will sink for at least a couple months after it first hits the shelves.

I have the FZ28 and highly recommmend it.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 3:27 PM   #3

robbo is very correct. If anything, the demand for FZ-28's has increased. The FZ-28 is an excellent choice as an all around camera. If your are interested in low light level shooting, the FZ-28 excells at ISO 800 as you can see from the following FZ-28 sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 4:23 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to Steve's. What are looking to make the jump from, what sort of thing are you mainly wanting to shoot?

The FZ28 is one of the better superzooms out there at the moment giving some very good results, but aswith all SZs there are limitations so worth checking to see what you want from a camera before spending your hard earned money.

Panasonic doesn't do best with HD video in bright sun but apart from that the videoworks pretty well.

Sarah, how is your trip going? It's been mentioned before, but if you are trying to show quality then a photo of this size won't help at all. A small size is good for a general idea but please post a 100% crop of a detailed section such as a face so the members can see what can be done with the camera.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:51 AM   #5

hi everyone!
thanks for the replies.

basically, I don't have the money or time to really get to know a DSLR, but I want something that can take quality shots of my artwork and of the city I live in.

So I did some intense research at dpreview and here and decided that a superzoom fits nicely between a compact and a dslr.

most important things for me are image quality, ease of use and hd video.

I won't be travelling too much this year, and if i do, i felt like a superzoom would be ok to take along.

How big a print can you make with the FZ28?

In all honesty, I don't quite understand the difference between a super zoom ($2-500), an entry level dslr ($4-600) and a high end dslr ($1000+)

cheers everyone!
Old Mar 3, 2009, 7:23 AM   #6
Super Moderator

You should be able to get good quality results shooting your artwork. I would use a tripod so you can keep the ISO low which gives the least noise/most detail. Don't do it with the lens too wide but have the camera a bit of a way from the artwork otherwise you will get distortions.

If you have set things up well then you shouldn't problem with getting an A2 print.

As for the differences between different levels of camera are that as you go up the ranges you will get better image quality, especially in low light conditions, also you will often get faster continuous shutter speeds and better auto focus. Generally more expensive cameras are larger which for most users will give better handling/balance when using higher end lenses. Other things will be better/brighter/larger optical viewfinders more custom control...... hmmm, probably more but this gives you an idea.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:01 AM   #7

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
You should be able to get good quality results shooting your artwork. I would use a tripod so you can keep the ISO low which gives the least noise/most detail. Don't do it with the lens too wide but have the camera a bit of a way from the artwork otherwise you will get distortions.

If you have set things up well then you shouldn't problem with getting an A2 print.

As for the differences between different levels of camera are that as you go up the ranges you will get better image quality, especially in low light conditions, also you will often get faster continuous shutter speeds and better auto focus. Generally more expensive cameras are larger which for most users will give better handling/balance when using higher end lenses. Other things will be better/brighter/larger optical viewfinders more custom control...... hmmm, probably more but this gives you an idea.
Thanks so much Mark! I'm going to go with the FZ28!

Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:42 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Great, let us know how you get on and be sure to post some shots.

Steve's is a great place if you want to learn and take your photography to the next level.

Happy shooting!!
Old Mar 3, 2009, 12:06 PM   #9

just saw this on Gizmodo

http://i.gizmodo.com/5163482/panason...ll-1080p-video

I'm wondering if I should hold otu for the GH1 now?

hopefully it will be woefully out of my price range.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 12:50 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Unlikely that it will be an overly low price and also not sure how long it will take to get into the shops.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Size is still a little bigger than the FZ28 but it will give you more control giving creative images.