Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:15 PM   #11

Cool. Noted, I'll have a check on these when I go to the store. Thanks TCav!
daemonjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2009, 9:56 AM   #12

TCav wrote:
Quote:
daemonjin wrote:
Quote:
By the way, are these lens choices good for low light situations?
I like f/2.8for low light situations, but larger apertures are better. In fact, you might be better off with teh Nikon 85/1.8 instead of the Sigma 70/2.8. It will do well as a portrait lens and will even do well for indoor sports, should the occasion arise.
Umm.. TCav, I was thinking, will this lens work if I want to shoot fireworks or situations like camping where bonfires are the only source of light?

Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2009, 10:04 AM   #13

Yes, though that's more of a metering problem than a lens problem. The fireworks and bonfire are significantly brighter than everything else in the frame. For the bonfires, alarger aperture will let you use a faster shutter speed but will also greatly reduce the depth of field, which might affect composition in ways that won't be visible until you scrutinize the result.

These lenses are great tools for what you want to do, but the results you get will depend on you more than them.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2009, 10:58 AM   #14

Awesome, just want I need. So you recon, I'll just go for the D90 instead of getting the D300, ya?

Btw, a friend of mine said if I get a 17-50mm then a 70mm, I'll be missing on the range between 50-70mm. He advised me to try to look for a lens that has better range, so I wouldn't have to swap lenses.

Any thoughts?

Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:01 AM   #15

I'll also be going for the Sigma 70mm Macro that you suggested, since it has really great reviews and is highly recommended and the Tamron 17-50mm.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 12:10 PM   #16

daemonjin wrote:
Quote:
Awesome, just want I need. So you recon, I'll just go for the D90 instead of getting the D300, ya?

Btw, a friend of mine said if I get a 17-50mm then a 70mm, I'll be missing on the range between 50-70mm. He advised me to try to look for a lens that has better range, so I wouldn't have to swap lenses.

Any thoughts?
There is a lot to be said for covering as broad a range as completely as possible. But for what you say you want to shoot, I don't think you'll be inconvenienced by not covering the 50-70mm range. And shooting with fixed focal length lenses teaches you something about composition and zooming with your feet, that people that have zoom lenses to cover every focal length never learn.

If you didn't know what you were going to shoot, then, yes, another zoom might be a good idea, but you've stated your objectives clearly, and I think you've got them covered. Anything else may be superfluous.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I suggest you play with the lenses you've talked about, and then see if you could have done something better, or even different, with a different focal length lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2009, 12:17 PM   #17

Wow! Very well explained. Thanks TCav. Now I'm sure I won't regret this purchase. ^^

Thanks again TCav, you've been very helpful and patient in answering my questions.