Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 4, 2009, 2:18 PM   #1

I like the Canons new size and zoom but I also like the Panasonics stereo audio for the vids.

I have always owned Canon's but this new Panasonic has got me thinking. Would the Panasonics build quailty be the same or better then the Canon?

Also I swore I saw a 12mp 12x optical zoom Panasonic somwhere on the web but could not find it. I know that both of these cameras have not been released yet but I figure that I might as well start doing some research........

My A710 IS is a fantastic little camera and I really like the fact that it takes AA batteries ( NIMH) but its just a hair to big to carry in my pocket. Also I was spoiled with the 6x zoom right off the bat and now I need more.

TIA,

JJR
escorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2009, 10:45 PM   #2

Get the Panny for sure. Canon is purposly holding out on their hybrid cameras by crippling features so they can sell more camcorders. Things like no stereo audio & no zooming during recording are just a few of the things that come to mind. They made the TX1 do these things almost 2 years ago BTW.
peestandingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2009, 10:53 PM   #3

TX1 YIKES that is not my cup of tea, it looks like a after thought. I want somthing that I can pull out of my top pocket and shoot one handed.

BTW I see that the Pannys are now available in the UK, but OH those prices. I just hope that they come down some by the time they get here. I see that B&H Foto already has the prices listed at MSRP $399. Ouch.

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compa...tz7/index.html

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compa...tz7/index.html

http://shop.panasonic.co.uk/icat/digitalcameras/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...16&Go.y=10

escorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:50 AM   #4

Yeah, the Canon isnt that much cheaper though at $350.

Also gotta remember that the Panny can save in 2 different movie formats. Both Motion JPEG & AVCHD Lite. And the Panny has stereo audio, zoom during recording & 60fps. Thats pretty impressive & shows that they're serious about doing a proper hybrid.

BTW, I know it seems like Im bashing Canon, but I actually love them. Im just disapointed that they've went to such great lengths to inhibit progress on their hybrids by doing these dumb things.

P.S. I didnt mean you should get the TX1. Was just pointing out that Canon can obviously make a small camera that can zoom during recording & do stereo audio. This was like 2 years ago, so there's really no excuse for leaving those features out now.
peestandingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 9:03 AM   #5

I've heard great things about the camera but I'm curious how you can offload and edit the video without hooking the camera to the tv or computer. I had read somewhere the new AVCHD format isn't the easiest to deal with when working off the SD cards. Any comments or thoughts? Thanks.
mdezrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 4:54 PM   #6

I'd buy the Panasonic for sure (I'm a bit biased since I really dislike Canon). My very first Pana was the LC33, an awesome 3MP camera. Since then, I've had the LC80, LZ2, FZ18 and now the FZ28. I'm debating whether to buy the ZS3 or the LX3. I used to be a big fan of cameras that use AA. Now, I prefer cameras that use prop. battery. They are usually lighter, they last longer but the biggest advantage is that they are much more efficient when using flash (I can shoot several pictures almost instantly with my FZ28 using flash, which I could not do with the LZ2).
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 10:28 AM   #7

It seems sad to say this, but I agree Canon SX-200 appears to be more than it can produce, IQ-wise. On paper, it seems to have a whole lot of potential. But then in testing, it fails.

For that reason the Panasonic ZS3 is the much better choice, just as Tullio has said.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote