Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 4, 2009, 1:45 PM   #1

i' m a newguy . i'm totally confused, but i want a nikon. i just damaged a 5400, i'll put money to new one instead of repair. i've had older nikon film and ae1 canon.really liked the 5400. i have read about all references til my head swims. i hope to buy this week.i was leaning to a 40x or a 60, but now w/deals on 80 & d2000, also 40x body, i'm messed up again. the size or weight are not that important.these sites have scared me away from someof them, because of lowlight issues. i enjoy the auto mode, but would like to learn more of the photography end also. i do have a new pixma 9700 printer to play with. i am not a real hitech guy yet, probably never will be, thats what my grandkids are for!!!! i like pics of outdoors, sports, family, indoor partys, and nitetime bonfires. if i went over my budget on a body only w/18-55 say, then i could get lenses later. then i've read the 80 has a problem also. this site just grabbed my interest towards the 2000 also .your site seems to hold all the knowledge. any advice will be appreciated. thanks, lenb
blen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2009, 3:35 PM   #2

blen wrote:
Quote:
i am not a real hitech guy yet, probably never will be, thats what my grandkids are for!!!! i like pics of outdoors, sports, family, indoor partys, and nitetime bonfires. if i went over my budget on a body only w/18-55 say, then i could get lenses later.
OK, let's talk about some of the types of shots you like to take:

outdoors - a little vague. Assuming good light, the real question is whether 18-55 will get you the types of shots you want. It will allow you to shoot landscape. It will allow you to take famly snaps and such. What it won't allow you to do is take close up shots of subjects more than a few feet away. And certainly not any type of wildlife.

indoor parties - really could be two types of shots. Available light shots - in this context you're talking about a shot of a single individual though if you're shooting available light. If you really want people interacting indoors without an abundance of light (and in parties you often want people interacting) then you want to use flash. Your camera will have a built in flash so that's a starting point. You will get MUCH, MUCH better results when you add an external flash (SB600 say). So, if you don't mind the added bulk I would definitely add an external flash to your purchase - if not the initial purchase, shortly there after. I don't think available light shots fit as well into parties though for the reason you typically won't get enough depth-of-field (DOF) to get multiple subjects in focus.

nighttime bonfires - OK here is where you really DO want available light - you can use flash if you want but you lose the whole mood. If you want that 'mood' then you want available light - that means higher ISO and a lens with a wider aperture. The least expensive lens would be a 50mm 1.8. On the d60 that lens will not autofocus but it will on the d80.

sports - not going to happen with the kit lens. What lenses you DO need will depend upon the sports. I will also say the D60 has a lesser focus system than the D80. So, if you were going to invest the time and money in lenses because you want to shoot sports then stay away from the d60 because of it's AF system. It's not that it is a bad AF system it's just the D80 is much better. The limitation is really felt for sports and wildlife work but not much else.

So, the edge goes to the d80 for AF and the flexibility to get that inexpensive 50mm1.8 lens and have it autofocus. But for the other purposes I think the d60 is "good enough".
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 5:25 PM   #3

thanks john. as for outdoor shots,generally scenic, sunsets,and fall. indoors would be holidays & birthdays. now theres still the issue of the d2000, compared to the d80, or is the technology older than the d80? is there any truth to the 80 locking up electronically? finally,what is a' gray' camera? thanks,lenb
blen is offline   Reply With Quote