Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 5, 2009, 10:03 AM   #1

Help. I am trying to restart a photography business that I had closed due to pregnancy and babies. Now that they are getting older, I am trying to reopen my business. I don't have lots of money right now to buy a $2000 camera, but would like to move into the digital SLR era. I am trying ot stay under $900 for camera, lenses and flash. I can't decide between the Canon EOS Rebel XS, XSi or the Nikon D60 or D90. Can anyone offer any kid of help. I am setting a studio back up in my home and am getting two flash and two continuous lights, got some backdrops, just need the camera and flash. I do mainly wedding photography, portraiture (you know, seniors, families and couples) and a little bit of outdoor photography. I used to be a tried and true film only thing, and loved minolta, but trying ot move digital.
losterloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2009, 10:08 AM   #2

The Canon XSi has a better autofocus system than the XS, so it would be better for sprots/action/wildlife, plus it's 12MP vs. 10MP for the XS.

The Nikon D60 is the least capable of the cameras you mentioned, while the D90 is the most capable.

BTW, do you still have any of your Minolta lenses and accessories? They may work on Sony dSLRs.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2009, 10:22 AM   #3

I still have my minolta period. Just moving intot he digital revolution. I have a Minolta AF soom 1.5m/4.9ft Macro 75-300 andAF .38m/1.3ft Marco 35-80. I mainly use the later for my portraiture.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 10:25 AM   #4

I found kits on Ebay that have like four lenses and other things. the XSi is like $800, same with the D60 and the D90 is like $1100 which is a little over what I have money for right now. I need to get one ordered this week so it will be here within two weeks. I have a photoshot with some seniors two weeks from this saturday. I am just lost as to what is the best way to go.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 10:27 AM   #5

my 35mm film lenses will work on a sony body? That could save a LOT of money. any suggestions?
Old Mar 5, 2009, 10:38 AM   #6

Any idea if my minolta 3600 HS D Program flash would work on a sony? That could save my hundreds of dollars. Like the Sony Alpha DSLR-A350? That has 14 megapixels
Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:28 AM   #7

TCav wrote:
Quote:
BTW, do you still have any of your Minolta lenses and accessories? They may work on Sony dSLRs.
Thank you very much!! I called Sony direct and found out that their Alpha 350 DSLR is not only compatible with my lenses, but also my flash. This will save me tons of money. Plus it has 14.2 megapixels. I may not be able to afford a full frame yet, but appearantly when I can I can get their 900 and it would work with my lenses too.
THANK YOU!!
Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:52 AM   #8

losterloh wrote:
Quote:
I still have my minolta period. Just moving intot he digital revolution. I have a Minolta AF soom 1.5m/4.9ft Macro 75-300 ...
If this is the big heavy one with the focus limit switch, itis an excellent lens, and is worth $300-$350. If it's the newer model without the switch, it isn't very good. It'sthe same basic design as the current Sony 75-300, and is worth about $100.

losterloh wrote:
Quote:
... andAF .38m/1.3ft Marco 35-80. I mainly use the later for my portraiture.
This is a reasonablygood lens, and could still work well for portraiture.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 12:01 PM   #9

losterloh wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
Thank you very much!! I called Sony direct and found out that their Alpha 350 DSLR is not only compatible with my lenses, but also my flash. This will save me tons of money. Plus it has 14.2 megapixels. I may not be able to afford a full frame yet, but appearantly when I can I can get their 900 and it would work with my lenses too.
THANK YOU!!
I think the A350 would be a fine choice for what you want to do. It doesn't do as well as the Canon XSi at higher ISO settings, but in a studio where you control the lighting, that doesn't matter much. And the atriculating 'Live View' screen is also a plus for the studio.

I think you're all set.

The A350 body is available from SonyStyle.com and elsewhere for $600. You can also get alens or two at a discount, but the lenses they have available aren't as good as the lenses you already have. The Sony 18-70 lens is wider, but it's not in the samee class as the lenses you've got, and I think you'd be disappointed with it.

Remember that the A350 has an image sensor that is smaller than a 35mm film exposure, so the lenses you have will have a narrower angle of view on the A350 than you're accustomed to. But for what you say you want to do, I think they'll be fine.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 2:53 PM   #10

So are you telling me that the onyisn't as good as the canon? I found both on ebay. I can get the sony with a lens for $589 and the canon with two lenses for $989