Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: New Canon EOS Rebel XS D1000 or Used Nikon D80?
New Canon EOS Rebel XS ($550) 3 50.00%
Used Nikon D80 ($400) 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 5, 2009, 9:36 PM   #1

PLEASE VOTE!

I'm looking to buy my first DSLR camera. I am debating between the the Canon EOS Rebel XS which was a little cheaper than others. My friend is also looking to upgrade and offered me his ~1.5-year old Nikon D80 for $400. Which should I go with?

Canon EOS Rebel XS at Costco ($550.00 with shipping and tax)

Nikon D80 ($400.00) - Used since Oct 2007, ~5500 shots taken
stuman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2009, 9:58 AM   #2

Those are to very different cameras, though they are both very capable.

What do you want to do with whatever you buy?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:04 AM   #3

Mostly, it is for photos of the kids running around and stuff. This will be my first DSLR and I am upgrading from a Canon SX100 IS.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:12 AM   #4

The D80 is certainly a more robust camera - but also larger. For kids running around the d80 has a better AF system than the XS, it's certainly got a better build quality. As long as your OK with it's size and your comfortable that your friend has taken care of it I would opt for the D80 (and I'm a canon user).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:31 AM   #5

Also, the lens I would be getting on the D80 is a 18-55 WITHOUT image stabilization. Is that much of a concern for what I plan to be shooting? Looks like the same thing with IS would be about $50-$60 more if I upgrade the lens (buy the new one, sell the old one).
Old Mar 6, 2009, 12:15 PM   #6

If you can keep the shutter speed high enough, I think you can do without the image stabilization. But if you find that you're using slower shutter speeds and any ofthe photos have motion blur over the entire scene, a stabilized lens would have helped with that. So after a while, you'll have found out for yourself if you need a stabilized lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2009, 9:16 PM   #7

So my friend did pick up a D90 for himself (body only) and he indicated that he may keep the Nikon 2170 lens for use with the D90.

I'm happy with my Canon XS so far, but I think I'll still take some side-by-side shots tomorrow night using the D80 (with the 2170 lens).

If he was at $400 for the D80 plus lens before, what would be fair for just the D80 body? $300?

The only reason then I'm considering that D80 route still is, then I can buy my own lens (preferably with VR). The ones I would consider are:

2176 AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
2179 AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
2162 AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED

From what I read, I think all 3 of these work with the D80, correct?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 7:26 AM   #8
Administrator

It looks like keh.com (a very reputable vendor of used gear) is getting a bit over $500 for a D80 in EX+ condition. That's a body only price. They do have a short term warranty (60 days from invoice date on used gear).

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Produ...BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

So, if you can buy one for $300 or $400 from an individual and are confident it's in great shape with a low shutter count, that's a good deal, provided it's a US model, as Nikon USA will often refuse to service a "gray market" camera (one that wasn't intended for sale in the region you live in), even if you are willing to pay for the service. IOW, I'd make sure he bought it from an Authorized Nikon USA dealer.

Yes, any of those lenses would work fine with a D80, as would any other Nikkor Autofocus Lens, whether or not it's an AF-S (Silent Wave Focusing) lens, since the D80 body has a built in focus motor for better compatibility with more AF lenses in Nikon mount (as compared to some of the entry level Nikon bodies that require AF-S lenses for Autofocus).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 8:06 PM   #9

Default Save money - Take a look at the Sony A-230 DSLR Camera

However, the third lens on your list is NOT a VR equipped lens, so please be careful. If budget is a priority, why not take a look at the Sony A-230 DSLR camera. IMO it is the biggest bang for the buck and because the IS is built into the camera body, you do not have to pay premium prices for VR equipped lenses.

The Sony A-230 is a very capable camera. Here is a photo sample taken at ISO 1600 without flash.
I used a Sigma 18-125 mm lens that I bought at the bargain price of $146.00 to take this photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote