Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 23, 2009, 9:20 PM   #11

AndyfromVA wrote:
Quote:
The Canon SX10is and Panasonic FZ28 have most of the features you want. The Canon does not shoot raw files while the Panasonic does. However, the Canon does have a hotshoe, which the Panasonic lacks.
I read a comparative review of these two models recently at cameralabs.com and it seems a tossup. I've been reading where people regretted not having external flash capability in their FZ28 and regrets of SX10 owners regarding lack of RAW. I'm just not sure which feature I'd miss the most.

jet wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 9:40 PM   #12

TCav wrote:
Quote:
You haven't mentioned a dollar limit, but you did mention some things I'd like to comment on.

Nikon has the only optically stabilized macro lens, though, of course, if a dSLR with video capability is outside your budget, then a $900 lens won't help.

You mentioned optical image stabilization and digital image stabilization, but didn't mention sensor shift image stabilization. To be sure, digital IS is inferior to the other two with regard to still images, but it's the method of choice for video. P&S digicams may use any of the methods of stabilization, but dSLRsonly use optical or sensor shift IS methods, and, by all accounts,with equal effectiveness. In addition, some of your current film SLR gear might work with a current dSLR, though, of course, your lenses will only be stabilized on the camera bodies that use sensor shift IS. That would be either Pentax or Sony (Minolta).

Superzoom P&S digicams are a good choice, but superzoom lenses for dSLRs are not usually the best choice when either image quality or budget are a concern.
I may one day save up for a dSLR w/video, but I think I'd wait a while on that, even if I had the money right now, until the technology matures and the kinks are worked out. I do realize the added creative potential made possible by dSLR's superior DOF as compared to an HD camcorder, but from what I've read there are still some important issues to be worked out in the tech.
My failure to mention sensor shifting was an oversight. That type would be acceptable to me as well. Indeed, it would be nice to be able use my film SLR lenses on a dSLR.
There's just no way I can afford a quality, long tele zoom lens (or a $900 macro one) for a dSLR right now. Even if I could manage to sell my film SLR gear, it wouldn't pay for such a lens.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 9:53 PM   #13

dwig wrote:
Quote:
jet wash wrote:
Quote:
3) I'll be shooting documents, ...
This one all but restricts you to a DSLR with a true macro lens. At the very least, you will need to have a very high end P&S with RAW capability and be prepared to deal with the rectilinear distortion (barrel or pincushion) and color fringing by applying correction when post processing. You'll still end up with lower resolution at the edges either from actual lower edge resolution or from curvature of field (edges focus to a different distance than center).

You may want to rethink you specifications with an eye to moving some taskes to a separate piece of equipment rather than trying to find a jack-of-all-trades (and therefore master-of-none!) camera. Perhaps the copy work could be assigned to a flatbed scanner.
I use my scanner for most loose documents. But I still need a camera for permanently attached labels on items too bulky to place on a scanner bed. And I'd look pretty funny trying to hold a flatbed scanner steady in place as I scan a large, stationary object. :G

Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:18 PM   #14

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
Good Morning,

Since you listed the Canon SX1, I'll use that as the top of your budget range. I believe that most of you needs can be met with a high end P&S and I am thinking of the Panasonic LX3, since it covers most of your needs...
Thanks for the pics! I read some LX3 reviews and checked out many more sample images after I viewed your posts and it does look like a very capable camera indeed.

You're right about my budget ceiling. I've found the SX1 for as little as $549 online and that's as much as -- if not more than -- I can swing right now.

It's beginning to look like I'll have to make a choice between image quality, zoom ability, and number of included desired features.

I also absolutely dread the thought that whatever I purchase now will be obsolete
very soon, regardless of what I spend on it. But, them's the breaks with high-tech.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:33 AM   #15

Thanks for the responses. After a great deal more research, including viewing hundreds of images taken with many camera models, I've decided in favor of the Panasonic FZ28. I want RAW, and I can always use a sound/optic triggered slave/bounce flash with it if the need arises. I've seen some really nice macro shots using Raynox lenses with it and I think it will serve me well.
But, if it doesn't live up to my expectations, I'll have to "upgrade" to the LX3 or similar, or save up some dough and keep the FZ28 as a good GP camera plus move up an IQ notch.