Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 31, 2009, 4:28 PM   #21

Photo 5 wrote:
Quote:
One thing you need to watch out for is in some stadiums and some professional events unless you have a press badge for the slidelines etc they won't allow longer telephoto lenses in. Their are several posts here that talk about this issue and one is about the upcoming olympics and the long lens restrections for that.

At UVA (Charlottesville VA) and for JPA events (indoor basketball and concert venue) doesn't allow anithing over 200mm in. Unless your press of course but them you have accessto the sidelines etc. Don't know about Scotts Stadium but for baseball/softball fields they will allow anything as far as I know.

dave
I run into this alot locally here too. At Texas Tech in Lubbock where my daughter goes to school, I watched security turn away a lady at a football gamewith her Canon S5is because she had the accessory telephoto attached! They told her to take the lens back to the car and she could bring the camera in.

Most security is concerned with the physicallylong lenses, which these digicams don't have. The FZ28 never really gets longs at all...even zoomed to 486mm.I've never been questioned anywhere when it has come totaking the FZ28 in to a sporting event. If I were concerned enough about it at a certain event, I wouldleave the lens hood off, which makes the cameralook even morecompact.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2009, 5:30 PM   #22

I was all set to buy it but then the guy threw me off when he said the battery would die in 2hrs and I'd have to spend another 30 on a battery.
SodaPopinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:13 PM   #23

Buy from a reputable dealer.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:15 PM   #24

I don't know what the salesman was talking about. The battery might die in two hours if you take 200 shots and use the LCD the whole time. Also, I got an inexpensive battery from ebay. It works fine. I think it's possible the salesman was just trying to sell a little more to you than was necessary.

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:18 PM   #25

Yeah, some of those super discount sites are super ripoff sites. I have had good luck with Buydig and they're selling that camera for about $295.

Check out www.resellerratings.com if you buy from somebody offering an incredibly low price.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:22 PM   #26

I ended up using OneCall. I read their reviews and almost 100% with a ton of reviews. They have all their reviews on Amazon and a few other sites. I didn't wanna get the extra battery but I wasn't sure what to do. In the end it was kind of a wash because since I was hesitant I got him to knock off the 27 bucks for 2day shipping.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 8:04 AM   #27

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
SodaPopinski wrote:
Quote:
Greg, you've really sold me on this one. I think I'm going to pick one up today. Is it difficult to get the setting perfect for sports events? This is my first 'real' digital camera.
Quote:

It really isn't too difficut.

First, I'd forget the sports mode. You need to have the fastest possible shutter speed to shoot sports and the easiest way to do that is to set the camera to "A", which is aperture priority mode, and set the fastest aperture available, which is f2.8 at the wide end. Once that is set, as you zoom in and the lens slowly slows from f2.8 to f4.4, the camera will automatically make those changes. You can also just use "P", which is program mode. In darker settingsand night-time orin an indoorstadiumthe camera will pretty much aways set the aperture wide open anyway.

In the menu system you have the ability to set the range of ISO settings you'll let the camera choose in Auto ISO. I almostalways keep my FZ28 in Auto ISO and have ISO 800 as the ceiling, and I have all the image quality parameters (sharpening, noise reduction, contrast, etc)set to zero as I like those settings, but you'll want to experiment to see what you like best. When I shoot sports I'll always set the ISO myself to either ISO 800 or 1600 (whichever gives thebest shutter speed/image quality combinationfor what you are trying to shoot)and up the noise reduction to +1, but try various settings yourself and see what you like.

I'll send you some more information on the AF system and how you can easily use manual focus for sports with this camera a littlelater when I have more time to say everything I want to say. It's easier than you think, andby manually focusing you cancut waydown on the lag between the time you press the release and the picture is actually taken.
Thank you Greg for all the helpful tips. I'll be in Houston Friday and receiving the camera Thursday. Hopefully, Thursday night I can play around with settings and get everything in order. I'm still not sure if the event is going to be indoors or outside because as of right now the weather is looking iffy.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:22 PM   #28

I got the camera today and it looks great. The only real problem I seem to be having is with the zoom. The closer I zoom the more blurry the picture becomes. I tried auto focus but that doesn't seem to help.