Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:13 PM   #1

Hello all,

I am looking to purchase a new camera. The main use will be for indoor sporting events such as football, baseball and wwe wrestling. I also would maybe use this for some concerts. My seats are always relatively close, like in the middle section. So I guess I need something with a pretty good zoom. My price range is around $250. I hope I've given enough information. Anything please feel free to ask. Thanks so much!
SodaPopinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2009, 7:48 AM   #2

Any ideas guys? I'm thinking about this one:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28
Old Mar 25, 2009, 9:50 AM   #3

What stadium for the MLB and NFL? And what arena for the WWE? Given that info I might be able to find out what the proper exposure values are.

The truth is, no digicam is going to give you great results when you're relying on artificial light and given the distances involved.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 9:55 AM   #4

Thank you so much for responding.

WWE I will be at Reliant Stadium in Houston next week. Other WWE and events I go to MSG in New York. The other place I'd be using the camera is the new Citi field for the NY Mets.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 9:59 AM   #5

Also I forgot to add my distance is usually mid level or a little closer. In other words I'm relatively close to the action.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:09 AM   #6

SodaPopinski wrote:
Quote:
WWE I will be at Reliant Stadium in Houston next week. Other WWE and events I go to MSG in New York. The other place I'd be using the camera is the new Citi field for the NY Mets.
Well, I just thought for the WWE they'll be using their own lights, so the standard light exposures for a basketball game won't really apply so I can't help you there. The one thiing I can say is you'll still be hard pressed - I'd plan on using the camera at ISO 3200 if I were you - so be sure to view real shots from that camera at 3200 to see if you're OK with the results.

For the mets games - to my knowledge that's not a dome so it's outdoors. You won't be able to get many usable shots at night games, during day games it depends how far back you are from the field. You said "mid level" - I'm guessing that's not box seats. The real question is - -what level of quality are you looking for? Snapshots where you can somewhat recognize the player or action shots capable of being printed out 8x10 and framed? Even with the best gear, the angle is going to hurt you somewhat because you'll be shooting down on players. The distances are going to make it difficult to get detailed enough shots for a good 8x10 print.

Bottom line? If all you want is some snapshots for your computer that camera is going to do OK at the baseball during daytime. If you want quality sports images though, you need better seats AND DSLR (assuming that stadium allows DSLRs and doesn't have lens restrictions - fortunately for Indians games I can bring in a DSLR and decent size lens - other parks are not so fan-friendly).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:12 AM   #7

My main concern is the wrestling shows; MSG & more importantly Reliant Stadium. I've gotten good enough pictures at Mets games with my parents camera so I'm sure my new one would be good enough. The WWE shows are tough because of the lighting and all the action. I'm not looking for anything perfect considering my budget is around $300 but I guess I'm just looking to get something pretty reliable in terms of getting fairly clear pictures.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:45 AM   #8

What would you guys pick out of these 3?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28
Sony Cybershot DSC-H50

Canon SX10is
Old Mar 27, 2009, 2:10 PM   #9

I have taken my Panasonic FZ28 to several sporting events. I also have a DSLR, but in many cases, security at certain facilities/stadiums will either not let you take in a DSLR at all, or they will but will limit the type lenses you can bring in, sothere aretimes it doesn't really matter if you have the right type equipment vs. something like a Panasonic FZ28.

There have been times where I was able to get in to the local NHL teams' games with my DSLR and the kit tele zoom, and then other times where another security guard turned me away and I had to walk back to my car, put the DSLR in the trunk and pull out the FZ28, which I have never been questioned about by anyone, anywhere.

If all you are doing is shooting for your own fun, it makes sense to have both types of cameras so you don't totally lose out, like I would have at these events had I not had a Panasonic FZ28 to take:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...02775584_nw73p

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...88558189_RqQQc

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...54106063_3TYHC

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...13856803_PzozR

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2009, 2:13 PM   #10

Greg those pictures look really good. About how far away were your seats?