Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 24, 2009, 3:12 PM   #1

What cameras can meet these specifications:
1. low noise in low light
2. short lag time
3. Optical image Stabilization
4. Optical zoom: G.E. 5X
5. Pixels (Effective): G.E. 5 mp
6. Optical View Finder
7. Point & Shoot type

olrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2009, 7:33 PM   #2

What does G.E. mean?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:59 PM   #3

The answer to the camera question is NONE! Welcome to camera design :roll:
Quote:
What does G.E. mean?
The answer to that is "Greater than or Equal". Reminds me of Cobol ...

wude Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2009, 4:10 PM   #4

KCook wrote:
Quote:
The answer to that is "Greater than or Equal". Reminds me of Cobol ...

wude Kelly
Mr. Kelly wins the prize. After 40 some years in the computer field I sort of thought everybody knew the math LOGICAL shortcuts. Ah well...bad assumption.

No suggested camera?
How about just:
1. low noise in low light and
2. short time lag?
3. Optical View Finder (OVF)
4. OIS
Old Mar 25, 2009, 4:59 PM   #5

Should that be a prize or condolences? The main yokes I bore were C and VisualBasic.

Optical viewfinders have become very, veryrare. If we ignore the ultra expensive Leicas, that leaves only Canon and Sony compacts. Which do not meet your low noise in low light requirement.

Best current compacts for low light are the Fujifilm F200EXR and Panasonic LX3. Neither has a viewfinder of any kind, you have to use the LCD. If you have not tried one of the more recent cameras, you may be in for a surprise. The LCDs have gotten brighter over the years. My Fuji ultracompact has only the LCD and I shoot in the desert sun.

Kelly
Old Mar 25, 2009, 6:45 PM   #6
Administrator

olrob wrote:
Quote:
4. Optical zoom: G.E. 5X
6. Optical View Finder
Here's the problem. An optical viewfinder on a point and shoot model is not TTL (through the lens). You need a dSLR for a TTL optical viewfinder.

If you look at an ultra zoom type camera, you're going to find an EVF (Electronic Viewfinder).

It's just too difficult to manufacturer a good zoom coupled optical viewfinder without some issues (accuracy problems, parallax error) in a model with a lot of range from wide to long.

We do see some cameras with this type of setup from time to time (for example, the older Pentax 555 and 750z models come to mind, with their 4.9x zoom range (37.5 - 187.5mm equivalent with these models).

Usually, optical viewfinder equipped cameras will have a less ambitious focal range (i.e., your typical 3x and 4x zoom models with 35mm equivalent focal ranges of around 35-105mm or 28-128mm). These still suffer accuracy problems and parallax error. But, those issues are not as severe as they would be with models that have more range from wide to long with optical viewfinders.

To get around problems associated with non-TTL optical viewfinders, most cameras with more aggresive focal ranges use an EVF (Electronic Viewfinder) instead. Since an EVF uses the camera's sensor to provide the image, you don't have the same type of problems associated with zoom coupled optical viewfinders in non-dSLR cameras.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:04 AM   #7

Thanks for the info. I made a BIG mistake, I meant a "View Finder" as opposed to the LCD screen. I have been using an Olympus C-740 UZ for years and never noticed the VF was electronic!! I loved it's 10X zoom but time lag and low light noise always bothered me. I would select a great picture of my 4 year old grand son's face and click. By the time the pic was taken he not only changed his facial expression but could be out of the frame altogether. Although 3.2 MP seems low the pictures I took were fine. I rarely needed a much larger than 8X10 picture.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:26 AM   #8

Are there a list of spec values for these characteristics of P&S cameras:
1. Low light noise amount
2. Time lag
Are there standard tests for measuring each of these?
Possibly there are some cameras with low noise and short lag that are acceptable to me.

Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:47 AM   #9

Quickest of the SLR-like P&S jobs (EVF) is the Sony H50. Which would be best in low light is not so clear. Ultracompacts such as the Fuji F200EXR and Panasonic LX3 are better for low light than any of the SLR-like cameras, but these lack viewfinders.

Kelly