Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:41 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 73
Default

:idea: Dose anyone know if CMOS sensors have made it into any point and shoot cameras.? I would think that since most of the new dslr have gone this way it should be the natural progression. I figure the noise should be lower in high ISO.
BobTheNailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2009, 11:40 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,093
Default

BobTheNailer wrote:
Quote:
I figure the noise should be lower in high ISO.
Not likely to improve noise but likerly would improve speed.

A. C.


ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 7:51 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
penolta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California USA
Posts: 5,206
Default

BobTheNailer wrote:
Quote:
:idea: Dose anyone know if CMOS sensors have made it into any point and shoot cameras.? I would think that since most of the new dslr have gone this way it should be the natural progression. I figure the noise should be lower in high ISO.
Sony has announced a CMOS superzoom with some neat features (like automatic panorama stitching and fast burst speed), due out in about a month.
Read about it here:


http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/so...09_hx1_pr.html
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 9:18 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Marquette, MI
Posts: 285
Default

Canon offers the SX1 IS with CMOS, but the noise levels don't appear to be any better than the CCD of the SX10 IS.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 9:25 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 50
Default

denncald wrote:
Quote:
Canon offers the SX1 IS with CMOS, but the noise levels don't appear to be any better than the CCD of the SX10 IS.

Dennis
the noise is a tad bit more based on cameralabs comparison of the sx1 vs sx10

but its ne of those things you'd likely notice if u compared pics closely, but not otherwise... you'd think IQ was very good
Mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 9:43 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,093
Default

penolta wrote:
Quote:
BobTheNailer wrote:

Sony has announced a CMOS superzoom with some neat features (like automatic panorama stitching and fast burst speed), due out in about a month.
Read about it here:


http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/so...09_hx1_pr.html

The Canon SX1IS has a CMOS sensor. The DPReview has some very pointed comparisons to the SX10IS which is the same camera but with a CCD sensor: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsx1is/.

As a still camera the SX10IS outperforms the SX1IS. The SX1IS has improved video performance but it is at the expense of it's performance as still camera.

Everyone who has been waiting for CMOS sensors in P&S camera as the solution to P&S image "faults" has been sadly misguided. CMOS is good for cheap, CMOS is good for fast and CMOS's deficiencies can be overcome when the sensor is large.

A. C.



ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:36 AM.