Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 30, 2009, 5:05 PM   #11

One last item, if you find that your are interested in the Pentax line, go to the Pentax forum - just scroll down on Steve's list (be careful since there is also a Pentax forum for P&S). I know that the Pentax forum is filled with folks that would be eager to help.

Also, Steve has a forum for all the other brands, and they are filled with just as knowledgeable people too.

So you can take your interest in what ever vendor and find out more - what folks like, do not like, and anything/everything else. Also, ask your wide angle questions there in the various forums, as people will be glad to expound on the quality of the lenses, what to do and what not to do.

I will say, that a kit lens will probably hold your interests for a while, as you experiment with what works for you. Then your next "investment" will be with a fair amount of operational knowledge. Also, do not ignore stitching - even with a wide angle lens, stitching is very useful, and you can practice with your kit lens to get the hang of it - very easily.

Good luck and good hunting....

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2009, 4:22 AM   #12

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
..........do not ignore stitching - even with a wide angle lens, stitching is very useful.........
Yes, and quite a few cameras have built-in 'panorama' modes that stitch several shots, showing a strip of the previous image on the screen/EVF so that you can align the next shot.

I've used this facility successfully on both my Kodak Z**12is superzooms, and, back in the mists of time, my Casio QV-5700. However, it's a good idea to take separate overlapping frames as well, just in case, for stitching later.

This one is currently being framed as a 35x8-inch print for hanging in our village hall, and it came from 10 'autostitched' files. (www.autostitch.net) free!
Attached Images

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2009, 5:33 PM   #13

Alan T...
I've used this facility successfully on both my Kodak Z**12is superzooms, and, back in the mists of time, my Casio QV-5700. However, it's a good idea to take separate overlapping frames as well, just in case, for stitching later...
[/quote]

Some cameras, like my Nikon CP8400 for example, don't stitch the shots taken in the "panorama" mode. The shots are merely recoreded in a folder unique to that one Panorama session.

The big advantage of using a "panorama" mode is that the exposure is locked on the first shot (focus too in some models) which produces much more successful stitching. If you don't use a Panoram mode be sure to use either manual exposure or some form of exposure trapping. Otherwise the seams are likely to show.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote