Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 28, 2009, 7:43 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 262
Default

I am not sure of the proper term but I am looking for a camera that has a as little time between when you push the button to take a picture and the shutter actually capturing an image. I know that the Panasonic FZ28 will handle 75% of my picture needs but I worry that a point and shoot will not be fast enough for the other 25% of my pictures. Is the Canon SX1 a more responsive CAM or will I need to consider a DSLR. Last year, I was on my annual long range fishing trip and I missed numerous pics because of a slow response time. If a DSLR is needed, is one brand better than another in this area? Thanks to all of you in advance for your help.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:36 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,093
Default

Outhouse wrote:
Quote:
I am not sure of the proper term but I am looking for a camera that has a as little time between when you push the button to take a picture and the shutter actually capturing an image. I know that the Panasonic FZ28 will handle 75% of my picture needs but I worry that a point and shoot will not be fast enough for the other 25% of my pictures. Is the Canon SX1 a more responsive CAM or will I need to consider a DSLR. Last year, I was on my annual long range fishing trip and I missed numerous pics because of a slow response time. If a DSLR is needed, is one brand better than another in this area? Thanks to all of you in advance for your help.
The characteristic is termed "click-to-capture" or "shutter lag". It can be a hard one to pin down as it will be much quicker if the camera is pre-focus and if the exposure is already set. That said a DSLR will always beat a P&S of the same vintage with the same level of "pre."

I doubt the SX1 would be faster than FZ28. See http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...=4303&ph=1

It may come as a bit of a surprise to some but we were able to take action shots before cameras had auto-exposure and auto-focus. We used two skills - preparation and anticipation. Preparation consisted of pre-focusing and pre-setting the exposure before the action occurred. We did this by anticipating where action would occur. The second part of anticipation is anticipating when the peak of action is going to occur. If you wait until you see the peak of action you'll be too late regardless of how fast a camera you have because you haven't allowed for your own reaction time. Good anticipation accounts for both camera lag and human lag.

Splitting time between fishing and photography probably is not conducive of either good preparation or anticipation.

A. C.


ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2009, 3:22 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 262
Default

I agree that fishing and taking pix doesn't allow one to prepare for the shot. On the trips I take, all kinds of amazing ops come out of no where. A whale suddenly appears, another fisherman hooks a fish of a life time, etc... Thus my need of a tool that will allow a better chance of getting that pic. Thus, I think your advice is to get a DSLR which is where I was leaning. In fact, I am leaning towards a Sony Alpha 200, any comments? Isn't this also one of the smaller DSLR's? Thanks again for your helpful advice.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:02 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
dwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 133
Default

For the situations you describe, the power on time (time to wakeup and be ready to take a picture) is every bit a critical as the shutter lag. The camera is going to power down while your fishing and will have to reboot before you can take a shot. This power on time can vary from less than a second (a good responsive DSLR) to 3-5 seconds or more in some P&S models.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2009, 12:35 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,093
Default

Outhouse wrote:
Quote:
I agree that fishing and taking pix doesn't allow one to prepare for the shot. On the trips I take, all kinds of amazing ops come out of no where. A whale suddenly appears, another fisherman hooks a fish of a life time, etc... Thus my need of a tool that will allow a better chance of getting that pic. Thus, I think your advice is to get a DSLR which is where I was leaning. In fact, I am leaning towards a Sony Alpha 200, any comments? Isn't this also one of the smaller DSLR's? Thanks again for your helpful advice.
The site I provided also has speed comparisons on DSLRs as well as P&Ss. Heare is one such comparison: http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...2482&ph=21

I think you should also checkhow much the manufacturer talks about weather and dust sealing. It's not a good sign if they say nothing.

A. C.


ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:13 PM.