Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 31, 2009, 2:53 AM   #1

I'm looking to buy a point and shoot camera that is small, light weight, easy to use, and most importantly has the fastest shooting speed (shutter lag). I have kids and would love to find a camera that can take pictures instantly. Can anyone advise on some cameras? Thanks in advance for any advice.
ebandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2009, 6:24 PM   #2

I may have much the same question, except you have kids and I have dogs. Do I interpret "shutter speed" correctly to mean not, for example, 1/500 second (likely adequate for even fast-moving kids), but the time it takes the camera from being turned on to wake up, and the time from pressing the trigger to auto-focus. See the later thread, Camera for dogs at play. I may wind up getting a SLR.
July is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2009, 8:46 PM   #3

I guess I should clarify what I am looking for. By speed, I meant the time it takes from depressing the button to actually taking the picture. It seems that I always miss a smile or a moment in the delay that it takes to actually snap the picture.

I already have a SLR. It's great, but a little big to take on local trips or to the park.

Thanks
Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:52 PM   #4

Compacts by Canon and Sony are all fairly quick. If this issue is critical, just make sure to buy from a store that makes returns easy.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:20 PM   #5

You can decrease the time it takes to turn on your P&S camera and take a shot by using custom presets. Here's an example using the Canon G9. The same concept can be used on P&S models that allow for these kinds of presets, including the newer G10.

http://lifespy.wordpress.com/2008/02...ode-on-the-g9/

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 1:06 PM   #6

Thanks Kcook. Do you know which models of the Canon or Sony is good? Thanks for your advice.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 1:09 PM   #7

Thanks denncald. I'll check to see if the model that I decide to buy has these preset options.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 1:20 PM   #8
Administrator

Make sure to take things like Autofocus Speed and flash recycle times into consideration (a flash may be needed indoors to prevent blur from subject movement). So, limitations like flash recycle times can impact your ability to take more than one photo without a delay.

A typical flash system in a point and shoot model will need time to recharge (which may take 2 to 4 seconds or longer, depending on the camera model, distance to subject, etc.). Some may take closer to 8 seconds. 4 seconds is considered good for a full power flash. A closer subject will allow a faster recycle time, and a further away subject will need a slower recycle time (because a longer flash burst is being used, fully discharging the capacitor).

So, make sure you consider cycle times in both good light outdoors and indoors (where flash recharge time enters the equation).

If you read the review conclusion sections for models you consider here (it's the last page before the sample images in each model's review), Steve usually covers the type of things you're interested in by measuring Startup time, Autofocus Speed, cycle times between photos with and without a flash, and more).

A good place to start your search is our Best Cameras List (models deemed to be a good value within their market niche).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 2:51 PM   #9

ebandj wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Kcook. Do you know which models of the Canon or Sony is good? Thanks for your advice.
As Jim has posted, measuring camera response times is a complicated subject. Made more complicated by the fact that different sites use different methods, and no one site tests all camera models. This is why I said it's important to buy from a store that makes returns easy. In case the camera fails your test!

You didn't mention price range. Some modest pricenumbers that appeal to me are the Canon SD770 IS and Sony W150. But the others are good too, start with the ones that meet your basic requirements for zoom, etc.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2009, 12:35 PM   #10

JimC,

Thanks for the great info. I will definitely reread the review conclusion and look at the Best Camera List.