Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 8, 2009, 7:58 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 20
Default

I'm looking for a camera at least 4mp, does NOT use AAbatteries, has at least a 1/1.8" sensor or larger, has at least 4x zoom, has fast shot to shot cylce time and start up,takes at least 640x480 videos NOT in quicktime format (720 would be even better), has aperture and shutter priority modes, can control white balance (I say this from past negative experience with sony white balance with my ultra pale kiddums), can control iso in auto mode (I say this out of frustration with my fuji s6000).... price doesn't matter, size doesn't matter , would prefer to have a view finder, although I rarely use it so not an absolute deal breaker...right now the panasonic fz28 seems to be fairly close, but theccd is too small and it uses quicktime (plus the sound was really,really bad... although that's not a deal breaker either).

I mostly shoot one handed, on the fly, so a dlsr is just not an option for me (I won't even lug around AAs so forget about separate lenses!) Right now I'm mostly using my casio z750 because it's so easy to control my shots in almost any situation ... I would just like something with a little more reach, and definitely faster and a little better IQ and video quality.
Zcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:54 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,870
Default

Z,

It seems to me you already own the camera you're looking for...or at least as close as you may find - the S6000. You claim you're frustrated that you can't control ISO in AUTO mode, but you can - it's called ‘P' mode. You set the ISO, and everything else is automatic (?). As far as lugging AA's around, I don't understand...you can get around 400 shots on a fully charged set of NiMH's...that's more than your Casio (325 shots). If you need more than that, you would have to ‘lug' around another set of four AA's at around 1.1 oz each, or 4.4 total oz (?). If you need more than the 325 shots the Casio is rated for, wouldn't you have to lug a cradle around to recharge the battery? As far as sensor sizes, the FZ28 doesn't come close to the S6000, and neither does the low light performance.

If AA batteries are the deal breaker, go out and buy an S100fs...2/3" sensor, Li-Ion battery.

The Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 1:13 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 20
Default

The fuji is super slow, way, way too slow... also, it takes two hands, as nice as the manual zoom ring is, it makes the single handed operation just not possible... but, yeah, the AAs are a major issue for me, I've never once run out of battery with the casio but I do all the time with the Fuji, even though the casio gets more frequent use. This has been consistent for me with all my camera battery situations. I guess I should've added IS as well... not having image stabilization has been an issue for me with the fuji also. I don't think the s100 is quite there either, still takes two hands and is slow to lock focus and flash cycle and shot to shot and even though it does have the lithium battery it's got an exceptionally short battery life... if I didn't already have the s6000 (I've been mostly using it in aperture priority mode, not p mode, I can't remember why?)I'd probably go for the s100... I don't know though, that pan fz28 was just so much faster, about 3/5 the speed of a nikon d60 I got to play with for a bit and I really didn't see a major difference with low light capabilities, except that my fuji really struggles getting in focus. I definitely preferred the d60 to the s6000, if I have to use two hands anyways... but experience has taught me having to use two hands means missing a lot of shots for my usage.


Thanks for the feedback though... much appreciated!

Zcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 5:04 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 617
Default

Here are some possibilities. Some of them lack viewfinders, some lack aperture and shutter priority controls but all have a relatively large sensor, manual exposure controls and are relatively quick cameras with good picture quality.

Fuji F200EXR, Fuji F60fd, Panasonic LX3, Panasonic FX150, Canon G10 (has viewfinder), Canon SD990is (has viewfinder), Nikon P6000 (has viewfinder), Nikon S710, Sony W300 (has viewfinder), Samsung l310w, Pentax A40.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 7:04 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Alan T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chester, UK
Posts: 2,980
Default

Zcarroll wrote:
Quote:
.....the AAs are a major issue for me, I've never once run out of battery with the casio but I do all the time with the Fuji, even though the casio gets more frequent use...
I have a Casio EX-Z750 and two Kodak superzooms (712 & 1012). If your Casio is the same as mine, I think your battery perceptions may perhaps arise because the Casio is very economical with energy, and superzooms in general aren't.

This is principally because they have more motor drives, and because the Casio has a near-zero-energy optical viewfinder. I once forgot the charging cradle for mine when on holiday, but got hundreds of shots before having to purchase a spare battery and get it charged in the store. I need to charge my latest superzoom every day when on holiday.

I note that on Kodak's latest attempt in their Z-series superzooms, the Z980 superduperzoom, they have retreated to 4xAA power from their proprietary KLIC-8000 Li-ion as used in its antecedents. The very similarpredecessors in that range demolish single pairs of AA Ni-MH cellsin just a few shots, because of excessive voltage drop under heavy load.

I did do some sums on the nominal capacities of the AA batteries and the equivalent Li-ion cells, but decided that they weren't a meaningful comparison in this case, because it's the performance under a heavy load that determines when you get 'low battery' due to a low voltage.

Another possible factor is the self-discharge of Ni-MH cells (unless you use low self-discharge ones), as you say the Casio is used more frequently than the Fuji.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 1:14 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 20
Default

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
If your Casio is the same as mine, I think your battery perceptions may perhaps arise because the Casio is very economical with energy, and superzooms in general aren't.
While this may be some of it, I don't think it's all of it since I've just dealt with so many AA battery cameras, including some superzooms that use lithium batteries vs ones that use AA, like a panasonic and a sony superzoom vs a canon and the fuji, when I've been out shooting with others the AAs always need to be changed and the others are still going... some of it is the self discharge but even switching to eneeloops hasn't made it worth it to me.
Zcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 1:26 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 20
Default

AndyfromVA wrote:
Quote:
Here are some possibilities. Some of them lack viewfinders, some lack aperture and shutter priority controls but all have a relatively large sensor, manual exposure controls and are relatively quick cameras with good picture quality.

Fuji F200EXR, Fuji F60fd, Panasonic LX3, Panasonic FX150, Canon G10 (has viewfinder), Canon SD990is (has viewfinder), Nikon P6000 (has viewfinder), Nikon S710, Sony W300 (has viewfinder), Samsung l310w, Pentax A40.
the aperture and shutter priorities are a must for me... I've never even used the exposure controls so that's not so important (I only do that post processing, maybe I should learn more about that, I just have no idea how to judge those charts, it doesn't seem important to me, one of these days I'll figure that out more I'm sure, when I find *the* camera, ha!)... I'm pretty sure all those panasonics at least are quicktime, I believe the nikons also, probably the samsung... I'll look into these again, but besides the fuji f200exr (since it's pretty new I'm just checking out), I think these all seem like ones I've looked into and ruled out for one reason or another (either too slow or quicktime or lack of some control).
Zcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 1:36 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 20
Default

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
. The very similarpredecessors in that range demolish single pairs of AA Ni-MH cellsin just a few shots, because of excessive voltage drop under heavy load.

I did do some sums on the nominal capacities of the AA batteries and the equivalent Li-ion cells, but decided that they weren't a meaningful comparison in this case, because it's the performance under a heavy load that determines when you get 'low battery' due to a low voltage.

I just wanted to add I think what you say above here is really what it comes down to... I use my AAs after camera for everything else and they've got loads of life left in them, just not enough to keep that camera going. I once had this amazing little samsung that did everything under the sun (can't remember the model?) including having a proprietary lithium battery AND being able to take AAs but it would act so wonky with AAs I kept taking it in saying it was defective until I discovered I had to use super high capacity AAs and then it would only work well for a short while....now I'm feeling all sentimental about that camera, it took breathtakingly detailed shots, but I couldn't get past the quicktime, I've tried to love it, just can't.
Zcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 3:16 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 617
Default

Quote:
I think these all seem like ones I've looked into and ruled out for one reason or another (either too slow or quicktime or lack of some control).
If you can find a point and shoot camera that meets all your requirements, great. If not, consider relaxing one or more of your requirements as together they are very difficult to meet.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 3:42 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 20
Default

AndyfromVA wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think these all seem like ones I've looked into and ruled out for one reason or another (either too slow or quicktime or lack of some control).
If you can find a point and shoot camera that meets all your requirements, great. If not, consider relaxing one or more of your requirements as together they are very difficult to meet.
I'm just wondering if it exists... I already have my 'settle for' cameras with the fuji and the casio, I'm just always on the lookout for a better one, I don't really need another one that doesn't fit all the requirements, which really aren't much that I'm asking, very possible, after all there are many choices out there that do more than I want, just the quicktime or batteryissue. Maybe the sensor size isn't such a big issue since the IQ was acceptable to me with the pan fz28... ? Really start up and shot to shot speed, nice video NOT quicktime, and NOT AAs, and being able to operate one handed are probably the major things... but then there are some things, like the lens on the fuji 200exr is 3.3, yikes!, that doesn't seem like it would be very good? I just want to keep all the features I have with my casio and get a little more reach, a little better IQ, and more speed... it doesn't need to be so small. The fuji s6000 is nice even though it does have the battery issue and takes two hands, it's just slow, slow, slow.

If the camera I want doesn't exist yet, it doesn't, but I figure somebody out there has to know if it does... unfortunately all the 'shopper's guides' I can find online don't seem to let me pick the features I'm most concerned with (especially file formats for videos). I know one of these days there will be at least one option... is it today? I don't know...

Zcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:24 PM.