Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 10, 2009, 9:07 PM   #11

Thanks. It's a tough choice and I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
nyjets011269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:39 PM   #12

Vanns has it for $265 this weekend only. No tax and free shipping and it's a highly rated site/company.

nyjets011269 wrote: [/b]

Quote:
Where did you see it for 270. I saw it at beach camera for 279. Thanks.
melmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:47 PM   #13

Thanks.
nyjets011269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:49 PM   #14

Happy to help.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 1:48 PM   #15

FYI, Costco has this in a package, in store only, for $289. Includes 2 GB card, very gorgeous case (looks like a professional case to me), lens cleaner, and so on, again, in store only, $289 plus tax
Old Apr 12, 2009, 5:04 PM   #16

Lazy Lens:

>What sold me on the FZ28 vs. SX10 are:
>RAW

With the new CHDK for SX10, you can do raw and much more with SX10 (that you can't with FZ28 ).

>superior (IMHO) viewfinder

According to most reviewer, SX10 has better viewfinder.

>HD video

FZ28 has HD video but the audio is pathetic. SX10 has stereo audio, and on my 20-inch monitor SX10 videos look and sound better (due to better audio).

Other pluses for SX10: The zoom is bigger. Hot shoe for external flash. Cheap AA batteries. Better battery life (600 pictures on rechargeable NiMH). Articulating LCD. ISO performance is better according to DPreview. Pictures are sharper than FZ28 too (most reviews agree).

oneguyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 3:07 AM   #17

nyjets011269 wrote:
Quote:
Where did you see it for 270. I saw it at beach camera for 279. Thanks.
Several vendors have it at $270 now, including OneCall and BuyDig. J&R just upped their price to $280 and it's out of stock as of this writing. These are all supposedly legit dealers, according to www.resellerratings.com.

I'm still waiting, perhaps in vain, for the $250 sweetspot.
Lazy Lens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 5:56 AM   #18

oneguyks wrote:
Quote:
With the new CHDK for SX10, you can do raw and much more with SX10 (that you can't with FZ28 ).
No doubt the Panasonic crowd will devise some kind of hack to further its capabilities as well, such as an external flash trigger/sync -- easily done but 100% warranty voider. Then again, CHDK may void the Canon warranty, too. Those considering this a viable option and a basis for purchase may want to consider the following:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#Q._Do...ur_warranty.3F :

Maybe yes, maybe no. Good luck.

I'm not sure how useful some of the Canon hacks will be. When's the last time you needed 1/10,000 shutter speed? On a 2.8 lens, no less! So you can get some sort of RAW out of it. Nice, but... Last time I checked, good RAW PP editors were pricey. And since RAW isn't exactly open standard yet, you need to be sure the editor will actually handle the CHDK file. A good one, albeit with a non-intuitive interface from all accounts, is boxed with the FZ28.

Quote:
According to most reviewer, SX10 has better viewfinder.
Since I haven't read every review on the two models, I'll have to take your word for it that "most" of them favor the Canon's viewfinder, assuming you've read all of them and know the numbers to be accurate.
I've been operating on the basis of the less-than-10 professional reviews I had read, as well as real-world users on various forums. I haven't had an opportunity to compare the two cameras side by side, nor do I personally know anyone who owns both units, so I can only go by what I read and see online (which is a lot over the past couple weeks).

Quote:
FZ28 has HD video but the audio is pathetic. SX10 has stereo audio, and on my 20-inch monitor SX10 videos look and sound better (due to better audio).
I've read about the poor audio quality of the FZ28 and, in fact, have started and participated in threads in the Panasonic forum here on that very issue. This isn't a deal breaker for me, since I can easily use a dedicated audio recorder and end up with sound far superior to that of the SX10, should the need arise. It's a simple matter to mix the a/v streams on the pc later. Honestly, though, stereo in a little camera? What kind of separation can you really get with mics that are only a couple inches apart? There's more to proper stereo reproduction than just using 2 mics. For a true stereo experience, you'd need a Kunstkopf model (mic positioning based on the human head). At any rate, what I didn't see in the CHDK docs is the ability to increase the SX10 resolution in video mode. I've seen some amazing macro vids from the FZ28; a couple of samples of bees and you can see individual hairs on them quite clearly. I challenge the SX10 to produce similar macro vids. I will be shooting macro vids, so the FZ28 is the clear winner here.

Quote:
The zoom is bigger.
The SX10 zoom is a tad longer, yes, but according to ALL of the reviews I've read, the difference is unremarkable in most real-world scenarios. If zoom is paramount, I suggest neither camera will do, since there are now 26x models available.

Quote:
ISO performance is better according to DPreview
Again, it depends on who you read, I guess. The stories I keep getting are that the FZ28 has superior low-light performance. The lens is faster at tele, for one thing -- comparing mfg specs here.

Quote:
Pictures are sharper than FZ28 too (most reviews agree).
Well, again, not having read them all, I'll take your word as to the overwhelming preference for the SX10. I can only go by the hundreds of pics of varying subject matter I've seen online taken with both cameras. To my eye, on my NEC FP2141SB monitor (2048x1536 pro unit), some of the pics looked identically sharp, some showed the FZ to be superior, some showed the SX to be superior. Skill of the photog comes into play at times.

I can say, without reservation, that the crops I've seen of the FZ revealed little to no chromatic aberration, while it was markedly present in the SX crops. The FZ also presented less barrel distortion than did the SX.

Quote:
Hot shoe for external flash.
Not a deal breaker here, as I'll just use slave units, as many as I need. The latest optical-triggered ones are fairly intelligent, recognizing the focus preflashes and firing only on the genuine shot. Of course, in a situation with many camera flashes going off, these type slaves can be fooled and misfire. Not a source of concern for me, as I won't be doing low-light shoots with a bunch of camera jockeys around.

Quote:
Articulating LCD.
I can see the appeal of it, but I don't foresee my needing it. If I truly ever needed to shoot something at ground level or over the heads of a crowd, I can temporarily mount a couple of lightweight mirrors on the unit. Btw, if it matters to anyone, the FZ28's LCD screen is 2.7" while the SX10's is 2.5".

Quote:
Better battery life (600 pictures on rechargeable NiMH).
The FZ's 460 shots on a single charge isn't a grave concern to me. I cannot imagine any situation where I'll need to shoot even 200 shots between charges. It's nice to be able to drop in regular AA's in an emergency, but the battery life on the SX dwindles to 340 shots. Again, I wouldn't even need that many. I suppose having the longest possible battery life could matter to pros on lengthy shoots who don't have extra, fully charged batteries handy (a pro should have), or to tourists who are on a trek and don't have a recharging station available (the thoughtful tourist would probably also carry extra batteries in their bag).

Let's not forget the FZ28 also has 27mm wide angle compared to the SX10's 28mm. The difference may be minuscule to some, just as the 20x vs. 18x zoom is to others. Let's also keep in mind that the lowest price for the FZ28 is up to $90 (shipped) less from reputable dealers than the lowest SX10 price at the moment. Again, those with fat wallets probably couldn't care less, but this could be a deal breaker for some. That $90 goes a long way toward lens attachments, etc.

On that note, I wonder what the Canon fans are now doing about its lack of an attachment-friendly lens. I've read that some people are desperately forcing filters on, cutting new grooves in their pride-and-joy's lens housing. Interesting. Canon users must resort to hardware and software hacks to achieve, with probably questionable results, what's already built into the Panasonic unit (at 90 bucks less). The notable exception being the hotshoe. It should be pointed out, however, that Canon only guarantees proper sync with their own model flash unit. So your choice may be limited there.

Whatever suits the user personally is the correct choice. Both camps can love their cameras equally and attempt, in vain, to convince the other of their brand's superiority. I have no particular affinity for either brand. For my intended uses, the FZ28 fills the bill, at a much lower cost.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:40 AM   #19

I was browsing and came across Lensmate. Ithas a filter holder adapter for a polarizer and a Raynox DCR-250 macro lens for the SX10. I found that interesting because, as noted above, Ididn'tthinkthere were any for the SX10. It sure helps when you get involved before buying a camera.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:05 AM   #20

Just to be clear, yer saying the FZ28 is the right choice and you agree with mtclimber. Right?
:lol: