Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 26, 2009, 4:31 PM   #21

I've been looking at both the Z28 and SX10 as well as the HX1.

I had a chance to get my grubby paws on both of the Panasonic (which I had almost made my mind up to buy) & the Canon. I could not bring myself to buy the Z28. It felt cheap and plasticky, the knobs and dials delicate and anything but robust,and it's lightness, I'm sure a positive to some, just added to the negative impression I had. In contrast the SX10 felt like a real camera, it's sturdiness was reassuring.

BTW the stereo sound someone mentioned as not being viable because of the spacing of the mics - I haven't had the chance to try this out but a number of reviews mentioned that the sound of the Canon was far superior to that of the Pana - for whatever reason, and I certainly wouldn't want to be going to the length of setting up a mic system just to have decent sound with my videos.

Someone also mentioned being unable to add filters etc. and another poster mentioned Lensmate. I was about to suggest the same - problem solved : http://lensmateonline.com/newsite/SX10SX1.html

I haven't bought the SX10 yet because I want to get my hands on the HX1 first. In the end I would say that is what anyone considering buying one of these cameras should do - get out there and see what they feel like to you. I had convinced myself the Z28 was for me until I got it in hand. Had I bought it online without trying it out first I would have been very disappointed.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:01 PM   #22

Panasonic started the series of small superzooms about seven years ago with the 2Mp FZ1. they followed it a few months later with the start of the larger models with hot shoes etc with the 4Mp FZ10. But through the evolution of the smaller model it never developed a reputation for being fragile. It has been around long enough that I think it is safe to say it will serve a long time without breaking if it is treated with normal care. If someone prefers the heft and feel of a larger, heavier and more solid camera that is fine. But none of the FZ series have had parts that are "delicate and anything but robust". They hold up just fine. I would personally prefer hauling a lighter camera around for a day at an airshow or theme park if it had similar performance to a heavier model.

The FZ28 will give better photos if you use raw. I also like the ability to lower the noise reduction, although it isn't as effective as raw in that regard. Someone might feel that the slightly less saturated colors don't bang enough. Dave at Imaging Resource put it this way: "color looks mostly accurate, rather than the usual tendency toward oversaturation that most companies employ to appeal to consumers". Reviewers say the default output from the SX10 is a bit oversaturated. The FZ28 has separate settings for contrast, saturation and sharpness, so you can get the bang if you want it. The FZ28 lens has much less distortion and purple fringing than the SX10. I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but looking at test photos taken at default settings and finding one more pleasing than the other doesn't tell you much.

It is a frustration to me that companies don't put old fashioned sync cable connector slots on the smaller cameras. I can see removing the hot shoe to reduce size and weight with cameras that most people won't put external flash units on anyway. But you don't need a hot shoe. Many pros prefer a bracket and sync cable to the hot shoe even when one is on the camera. The FZ28 is probably advanced enough that it should have a hot shoe, but they should have put a sync connector slot at least IMO. I've never cared much for the units that are activated by the camera flash.

The high angle mode on the FZ28 LCD works well. You have to turn the camera upside down to take a low angle shot and can shoot around buildings only with vertical shots. It isn't as good as a flip-out LCD by any means, but it does let you take shots over crowds and such.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 6:45 PM   #23

Anybody know anything about stop and shop camera?

They are listing the FZ28 at $189 +shipping.

Sounds too good to be true. Doesn't really say if it's new or refurb.

pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:48 PM   #24

Is that the same as stop and shop digital and/or stopnshop digital?

http://www.resellerratings.com/store...d_Shop_Digital

Might be them under a new name...

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0267.htm

Might want to check their rating with the BBB, also...

Do you have to ask?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 6:30 AM   #25

Thanks rin. Looks like I have my answer.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 4:19 AM   #26

Slipe - I didn't mean to disrespect the Z28 - you've got it and love it, and that's all that matters to you. Its reviews & performance say all you need to know about it.

However my comment :
Quote:
I could not bring myself to buy the Z28. It felt cheap and plasticky, the knobs and dials delicate and anything but robust,and it's lightness, I'm sure a positive to some, just added to the negative impression I had.
was all about how it felt, in the hand, to me. Others may not get the same impression - that's fine, how it feels to each individual is all that matters - as I virtually said in closing !

In the end I bought the Sony HX1. A more expensive camera for sure, and the Z28 & SX10 are far better value for money, but the HX1 had all the features I wanted (and some more) short of buying a DSLR with 2 lenses and a 2.2 extender !

Some of the pictures posted on forums, taken with the HX1, meet and even surpass my expectations so now i'm just waiting for a day off, and no rain, to coincide so I can take it on a road trip ! The few photos I've been able to take around the home / garden look very promising, as does the HD video.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:05 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Lens View Post
No doubt the Panasonic crowd will devise some kind of hack to further its capabilities as well ... .
What on earth does that have to do with what I said? Anyone can shoot raw on SX10 with CHDK. Shooting in raw is not a plus for FZ28. Moreover, I find shooting in raw a waste of time anyway. JPG is better. Panasonic crowd didn't devise hacks yet. Even if they did, why would I care? And using CHDK doesn't void warranty. CHDK is gone as soon as you take out the card and restart the camera. There is no trace left that CHDK was used once the card is removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Lens View Post
I've read about the poor audio quality of the FZ28 and, in fact, have started and participated in threads in the Panasonic forum here on that very issue. This isn't a deal breaker for me, since I can easily use a dedicated audio recorder and end up with sound far superior to that of the SX10, should the need arise.
I don't care what is a deal broker for you. SX10 has FAR better audio than FZ28. FZ28's audio is pathetic. What does dedicated audio recorder has anything to do with the AUDIO IN A VIDEO?????? And you posted no proof for your claim that a dedicated audio recorder has a better audio than SX10. Someone tested Zoom H2 and the Canon SX10 audio. There was no difference in quality. Avoid posting claims when you have no clue what you are talking about. Moreover, why would I carry a dedicated audio device when the camera can take just as good audio? That's like saying why do you need video in a digital camera. Just carry a camcorder too. Pffft.

I am sticking with everything that I said before: As far as I am concerned, SX10 is a better camera. (1) AA batteries. (2) better battery life 600+ pictures per charge (3) sharper pictures, see DPreview and cameralab sample. (4) Better noise control (DPreview). (5) Larger zoom. (6) LCD flips out, making it easy to take pictures with different angles. (7) Better high ISO performance (DPreview). (8) Better video due to better sound. (9) Build quality better and doesn't feel plasticy.
oneguy is offline   Reply With Quote