Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 11, 2009, 3:58 PM   #1

Hi, I've been reading some of the posts, but am still confused. I desperately want to purchase a DSLR camers but don't know where to begin. These are my current choices: Canon XS or XSI OR Nikon D60 or D90.

I am looking to photograph my3 year old active daughter (portraits, genereal snapshots, family photos, holidays, birthdays, etc.) I really like close ups and clear photos. I always have issues with camera shake. Please help. All replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
kiwi7141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2009, 8:52 PM   #2

What is your budget?

What camera were you using before that you had "camera shake" with?
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:07 PM   #3

robbo wrote:
Quote:
What is your budget?

What camera were you using before that you had "camera shake" with?
Also what lengthlens and shooting speeds?
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:44 PM   #4

My budget is somewhat flexibe. I just don't want to go over $1,000, maybe a little more if it means I'm getting more bang for my buck.

Camera shake was with a point and shoot. I have an Olympus (underwater), Sony point and shoot and an old Canon SD something

Basically, I want a good camera I can use for awhile to take good shots of my daughter without having to catch the back of her head because she moves too quickly. I really love close up pictures so I would like to do that. I want to use outdoors (at the park), indoors (birthdays, special events), etc.

Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:46 PM   #5

I have no idea. I don't know that much about DSLR's. I am planning on taking a summer course in Photography to help me get educated about all the different variables of photography. Any good books you recommend?
Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:08 PM   #6

It sounds like you have two issues you want to improve on - first being shutter lag and second being camera shake. As far as the shutter lag goes, any of the dSLR cameras will be similar.

As far as anti-shake, there is a difference with how still you can hold a camera at arm's length compared to holding the camera close to your body. It's much easier to hold the camera still when you use a viewfinder.

DSLR cameras have two ways of controlling camera shake - Canon and Nikon up their anti-shake in the lenses, so you have to buy the more expensive VR lenses to get it (potentially significant extra costs, depends on how many lenses you end up buying). Pentax, Sony and Olympus put anti-shake in-camera, so any lens you buy will be stabilized. Since you are only considering Canon and Nikon, then you'll need to make sure you buy the appropriate lenses.

Also, be aware that anti-shake only helps with your ability to hold a camera still using slower shutter speeds - it does nothing for motion blur. For instance, have you ever had a picture of a blurry child and a sharp chair? That's a case where you need to use a faster shutter speed to freeze the action, and anti-shake won't help. A dSLR helps here in that you can use higher ISO settings, which will allow you to use a faster shutter speed.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2009, 1:15 AM   #7

kiwi7141 wrote:
Quote:
My budget is somewhat flexibe. I just don't want to go over $1,000, maybe a little more if it means I'm getting more bang for my buck.

Camera shake was with a point and shoot. I have an Olympus (underwater), Sony point and shoot and an old Canon SD something

Basically, I want a good camera I can use for awhile to take good shots of my daughter without having to catch the back of her head because she moves too quickly. I really love close up pictures so I would like to do that. I want to use outdoors (at the park), indoors (birthdays, special events), etc.

Thanks!
Any dslr will solve the moving daughter problem.Even the most basic dslr of any brand are going to do a greatjob of your picture goals.

Your problem with camera shake... is it a problem with blurry subjects from camera movement (your fault) or from subject movement (old camera's fault)? If the buildings and trees are burryit is the fault of you, if the kids are moving it is the camera's fault (shooting speed too slow).

IF you really have a shake problem (all of us have some shake) that is causing problems for your pictures I would strongly suggest you stop.... take a breath.... and visit a camera store. You really need to try some cameras. The weight of the camera, the weight of the lenses, the position of the hand hold, even the size of the camera can be an issue. Heavier cameras with longer (and heavier) lenses are generally going to be harder for you to handle and control. But weight is not everything.

If weight is an issue for your shaking.... I would strongly suggest Sony, Oly,Pentax or the new Panasonic dslr because of the anti-shake is built into the camera body. When anti-vibration is built into the lens it can increase the weight of the lens, sometimes substantially.

Oh, and if weight is not a problem..... I just picked up a new Sony A-700. Might be a bit over your budget (camera body without anylens is $999), but it is well worth the $.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:56 AM   #8

I have had my Sony A-700 for several months and absolutely 0 regrets. Great IQ, fast, easy to use, with built in anti-shake and sensor clean. Lens are lighter and less expensive for a given type.
Give it a look.
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote