Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:38 PM   #1

This year, the best point and shoot cameras for travel photography seem to be in the superzoom category. Steve's has done the Canon Powershot SX200 IS. I am hoping that Steve's will be doing the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 (DMC-ZS3 in the USA) and the Samsung HZ15W because they are clearly the competitors to watch for the Canon Powershot SX200 IS.

They are all in the 12 megapixal category although the Panasonic camera is listed as a 10 megapixal because of the way it uses the 12 megapixal chip. But I think what to watch is the wide angle performance of these three cameras with Panasonic at 25 mm, Samsung at 24 mm, and Canon staying with 28 mm.

My hope is that Steve's will come out soon with the Panasonic and Samsung evaluations because the travel season is about here in the Northern Hemisphere and I want to get the best superzoom and wide angle camera.

By the way, all three of these cameras do 720p video for the new big flat screen TVs.

In my opinion, it will come down to the wide angle and 720p video performance. It is a wash on price since they all will be between $300to $400 range.
Bluerapids is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2009, 12:41 AM   #2

Bluerapids wrote:
Quote:
This year, the best point and shoot cameras for travel photography seem to be in the superzoom category. Steve's has done the Canon Powershot SX200 IS. I am hoping that Steve's will be doing the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 (DMC-ZS3 in the USA) and the Samsung HZ15W because they are clearly the competitors to watch for the Canon Powershot SX200 IS.

They are all in the 12 megapixal category although the Panasonic camera is listed as a 10 megapixal because of the way it uses the 12 megapixal chip. But I think what to watch is the wide angle performance of these three cameras with Panasonic at 25 mm, Samsung at 24 mm, and Canon staying with 28 mm.

My hope is that Steve's will come out soon with the Panasonic and Samsung evaluations because the travel season is about here in the Northern Hemisphere and I want to get the best superzoom and wide angle camera.

By the way, all three of these cameras do 720p video for the new big flat screen TVs.

In my opinion, it will come down to the wide angle and 720p video performance. It is a wash on price since they all will be between $300to $400 range.
There are a few differences between the SX200is and the TZ7 for still shooters that one should keep in mind. I say still shooters specifically as I am no movie buff and buy these cameras for one reason....to shoot stills.

If you look at the image sizes at the various formats, Canon offers both 4:3 and 16:9 capture, but the reality is, they acheive the 16:9 format by simply cropping the 4:3 file, where the Panasonic gives you a true (wider)16:9 format. If the camera is set to 25mm and you switch to 16:9 capture, the camera takes in a wider image. You can actually see the image get wider on the LCD when you switch from 4:3 to 16:9, where the image with the Canon stays the same width no matter the formatand just crops the short-side of the image.

The Canon offers much more user control with Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual exposure modes, where the Panasonic has one mode...auto. Truthfully though, auto, combined with the variable metering modes and exposure compensation is really about all one needs with a camera like thisbecause of the extremely limited set of aperture choices at any given focal length and the huge depth of field at any aperture.

I like Canon's pop-up flash designbetter.

The high resolution screen of the upper-level TZ series is amazingly beautiful and twice the resolution of the LCD fitted to the Canon SX200is. I own a TZ5, and the new TZ7 has the same 460,000 pixel LCD. You can waste a bunch of battery power simply looking at the images on the camera's LCD.

There's a professional photographer by the name of Ming Thein who often posts his own personal perception of certain new Panasonic models he is able to get ahold of prior to release for sale. He did is small report of the TZ7 at DPReview a while back and answered several questions from others..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=31247279

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote