Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 17, 2009, 8:16 PM   #11

yea, i kinda figured that too. i've been trying to research everything i can before making quick decisions. i've been looking at lenses, and their expensive, but they are very important. i also read on some website that the d40 doesn't supply that many lenses with auto-focus either. i don't know if thats true or not.. the d40 im looking at has AF-S DX 55-200mm VR Nikkor Zoom Lens on it.
tiffanie019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:03 PM   #12

tiffanie019 wrote:
Quote:
i also read on some website that the d40 doesn't supply that many lenses with auto-focus either. i don't know if thats true or not..
Tiffanie, I just went to the Nikon website, and according to what I saw there, there are about 29 lenses that will autofocus with the D40. Sigma and Tamron are turning out lenses with motors in them, like the 70-300, the 70-200 f2.8(expensive), and some primes. For your stated purpose, I think the D40 will serve you well, and you should not have a problem finding a lens for any purpose (other than dedicated 1:1 macro). Some of the folks at the "other" forum tend to be a little snobbish when it comes to lenses. They seem to forget that everyone doesn't own a bank LOL Whichever camera you end up with will thrill you I am sure. Response time on an slr simply blows away most non-slrs, and even with an inexpensive zoom, you should get good results (after practice). Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:18 PM   #13

thanks robert for the info .. so u think the lens will serve me well..? i have another question... the d40 has only 6MP compared to the d60 which has 10. and theres also a few hundred dollar difference between the two.. do MP really mean that much?? people say if you print big pictures that it will. but i want the camera just as a hobby. i will print pictures, standard size, but will the pictures still be as clear as a 10MP camera?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:40 PM   #14

Hi Tiffanie, you asked about megapixels. That subject has a tendency to open up a can of worms, so the simple answer is this: Six megapixels is plenty in most cases. Where you might see a shortcoming is when your lens is too short and you need to heavily crop your image in PP. Most will say that you should be able to take a shot without the need to crop, other than for cosmetic purposes. This is where you might want a longer lens. With ten megapixels, you get to crop more before the image degrades too severely, but again, with a longer zoom lens, you may not have to crop as much, if at all. As far as print size goes, my old Nikon D50 (6.1 MP) was capable of a very nice 11x14 without much cropping. I currently have a 10 MP Sony that will give me a 24x30 print without much cropping, and possibly larger, although I haven't tried it.

I guess what I'm saying is, megapixels aren't as important to me as having a lens that can deliver the subject to the sensor withou heavy cropping. Hope I helped more than confused...:-)Robert

PS At smaller print sizes, I doubt ANYONE could tell the difference between 6 or 10 MP.

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:51 PM   #15

6MB produces an image about 3000 pixels by 2000 pixels.

My big (24") screen monitor displays 1920 x 1200 pixels.

This means the 6MB camera is producing more pixels than whatmy display equipment can reproduce. The extra pixels are justed wasted as the monitor scales the picture for display.

The same thing for printing a picture. If you printed 300dpi, the 3000 pixel would be 10" in size. Yes, if you want to print BIG, the 10MB might be very handy. For the rest of the world 6MB is enough for printing normal snapshots and even 8x10's if you are so inclined.

There are reasons for more pixels. One reason is allow youto aggressively crop the picture.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:51 PM   #16

thanks for your help i was hoping it wouldn't make too much of a difference. like i said im getting a good deal on the nikon d40 with af-s lens. so i guess i'll go for it and save up for even better lens. :-)

i will be posting pictures from my coolpix p80 and my new slr (when i get it :|) if anyone has advice please feel free to help me out