Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 16, 2009, 9:13 PM   #11
Administrator

To answer your first question... I think the D90 and D300 would be both be good upgrades to a D50 (faster AF, higher resolution, higher available ISO speeds and more). But, I'd be hesitant to go D5000 due to lens choice limitations.

For low light work, the D700 or D3 are the way to go for best results (both use a Nikon designed 12MP full frame sensor that's hard to beat at higher ISO speeds).

But, they probably cost more than you want to spend and the D90 and D300 (using a Sony APS-C size 12MP Sensor) are not bad for low light use (with higher available ISO speeds compared to her D50).

Any choice is a compromise in one area or another (including size, weight and cost).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 11:56 AM   #12

Yeah, I said I would easily come to a solution if I had unlimited funds. But, I am myself a computer hardware enthusiast and I know very well how much hobbies like these can be expensive - no wonder people sell kids on eBay. If you're a pro, the camera pays for itself, but that's another story. Something like D3(x) or Canon 5D is out of my range and to tell the truth, my wife and I think it's big and heavy - not made for woman's gentle hand shooting street photography.

She doesn't admire Sony, on the contrary, she sees Sony as an "evil brand", especially after they bought her beloved Konica-Minolta (just like she despises Apple for switching to Intel platform - women!). But it's good enough to prove her point

I think I'll go with D300 - seems like a reasonable choice and within my budget. Considering that she'll probably want a new, bigger bag for equipment and who knows what else.

Once again, thank you for your time and suggestions.

FlashHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 5:55 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Something like D3(x) or Canon 5D is out of my range and to tell the truth, my wife and I think it's big and heavy - not made for woman's gentle hand shooting street photography.
Yes, those are a bit larger and heavier I have to chuckle when I see members complaining about the size and weight of some of the entry level dSLR models. They should try lugging around a D3 or D3x for a while with heavier lenses attached. ;-)

Quote:
She doesn't admire Sony, on the contrary, she sees Sony as an "evil brand", especially after they bought her beloved Konica-Minolta (just like she despises Apple for switching to Intel platform - women!). But it's good enough to prove her point
I look at Sony's purchase of Konica Minolta as a good thing, as Sony has continued the Minolta Maxxum/Dynax/Alpha Autofocus lens mount, while incorporating new features and technology (not to mention expanding the dSLR lineup with more available models and growing market share at the same time). I have a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and a Sony A700, and I can use any Minolta Autofocus lens ever made on either camera (and they all benefit from the in body stabilization system).

Quote:
I think I'll go with D300 - seems like a reasonable choice and within my budget...
She should be thrilled with the surprise. The D300 is a very nice upgrade over her D50 and will work with all of her lenses. It's a very versatile camera and will allow her to get great results in a wider variety of conditions.

Quote:
...Considering that she'll probably want a new, bigger bag for equipment and who knows what else.
My guess is the "what else" would likely be a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM, for existing light conditions where her 50mm is a bit too long for the desired framing, based on what you said earlier. :-)

Quote:
She wanted to go for a 30mm f1.4 or something like that to replace that old 50mm
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote