Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 18, 2009, 7:19 AM   #1

Hello, I'm shopping for a digital camera to replace my venerable Minolta 35mm (RIP ). After much research, I've narrowed it down to the following:

Kodak Z980 (had also considered the Z1012)

Olympus SP-565UZ.

Both cameras offer long zoom. I like the HD video ability of the Kodak, as well as the nice saturated "Kodak color" it offers. I assume it also has excellent IQ as the Z1012 received good reviews for this on the Kodak forum. It's biggest weakness seems to be the lack of a nice buffer for burst shots. (9 pics at 5 fps)

The Olympus likewise offers a nice zoom and a very fast burst ability (30 frames at 13 fps) with a nice sized buffer. The lens also appears to be excellent, as there is very little purple fringing and moderate (but I'd say average) barrel distortion. Pin cushion on the zoom is very slight. On the down side there is no HD video and the colors do seem less saturated then the Kodak, but more saturated then the Panasonic LZ28 and other cameras I considered. The Olympus is also around $70 less in street price.

So...it comes down to this. How is the IQ on the Olympus? Most of my picture taking will be in auto mode, but I will use manual mode for night time shots (astronomy, city scapes, etc.) I also pursue model rocketry as a hobby so the fast burst rate of the Olympus is a plus...I can use the pics to make a slow motion video clip of launches, or zoom in and get nice pics of motor ignition). However, I would really miss the HD video ability. I thought about just buying a 2nd camera for HD video...but I really hate lugging 2 cameras around (been there, done that).

So...if you were in my position, which would you buy and why?

Craig
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2009, 4:44 PM   #2

I had the Olympus SP-550 and 560 and now have the Panasonic FZ-28.

I would get the Kodak. I like its slightly longer reach. I like its hotshoe. I think 9 frames in 2 seconds is pretty good. I like its in camera panoramic stitching.

The 565 has a fast burst mode, but I don't think it's at full resolution. It may be at 5 or 3 Megapixels. I wasn't entirely pleased with the quality of super fast burst mode images from the 560.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 8:30 PM   #3

I thank everyone for their advice, but I've decided to go with the Olympus. What really swayed me was the fast burst mode, Photoshop's readiness to handle its RAW mode, and the relative lack of PF as compared to the Kodak. (Noise I can live with...reminds me of film grain, but PF bugs me.) The bulb mode and time lapse ability are also features I would like to play with. As for the flash, I can always get a slave flash or spring for the Olympus wireless flash. I still plan to get a Kodak eventually...likely the N1093, as that would give me a nice camera to always carry around and also to do HD video. Thanks again for the advice.
Craig
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote