Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 19, 2009, 7:59 PM   #1
HHR

Hi,

I just bought a Canon 450D (and thanks foryour help in relation to my postconcerning that!)after having considered back and forth for a very long time and now I have the next tought choise to make: which lenses to buy?

It came with the 18-55mm IS lens and one road I thought about going was to buy the 55-250mm IS (about 350 dollars here in Denmark) for zoom and then the 50mm f/1.8 (about 130 dollars) to have something for indoors - that way I would sort of cover everything. According to the reviews I've read online both lenses are very good compared to their price but they are still pretty cheap so my question is if I'm better off buying just one "walk-around" lens that is more expensive? And if so, what lens would you suggest?

I'm a writing journalist but will use them to take pictures for the paper I work at as an additional feat. Both for print and the net. That includes everything from interview persons, land scapes and koncerts.

Thanks you very much for your help,
Hans
HHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2009, 8:45 PM   #2

The Canon 18-55 IS kit lens is very good, as is the 55-250 IS. Beating them would be tough.

Tamron makes an 18-270 VC lens that, as superzoom lenses go, is very good, but even it doesn't compare to Canon lenses, and it won't work well indoors without a flash.

I say, unless having one "walk-around" lens is a big deal for you, you should stick with your original plan.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:49 AM   #3
HHR

well, having a good walk-around lens would of course be nice, but isn't the 18-55 IS still pretty decent there? Or what would I be looking for instead?

Thanks,

Hans
HHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:26 PM   #4

HHR wrote:
Quote:
well, having a good walk-around lens would of course be nice, but isn't the 18-55 IS still pretty decent there? Or what would I be looking for instead?
The 18-55 IS is very good, and it has one big advantage: You already own it.

There are others. Some are sharper. Some have less vignetting. Some have less chromatic aberation. Some have more range. Some are better in low light. But they all are expensive, and only buy you a little more capability than yolu've already got.

You will know when you need to replace it, but that day may never come.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:55 PM   #5

Hi Hans, A number of years ago, I was right where you currently are. Use the kit lens that came with the camera, for your walk around lens. As you use it, you will see where your needs take you, and don't be too quick to go out and get something else. Take some time to evaluate what you are doing. Your camera and lens set have a lot of capability and there are always workarounds using what you have, to do what you want to do, that will take care of your immediate needs. Plus, this will help you learn about what your currently have and make better upgrade decisions.

Have fun!!!

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote