Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 20, 2009, 4:53 PM   #1

Hi hope someone can give me some advise. I wanting to get a digital camera to use in church services without using a flash that would take pretty good pic in low lighting. Wanting a high optical zoom and around 10-12 pixs. Would like to get one where I can add tele & wide lens to it.
Have looked at Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28K - Fujifilm FinePix S1000fd & Nikon Coolpix P80. Dont know much about the SLR cameras and didnt know they would work either. If anyone can recommend one of these or any others, it would be great. Thank you, Eddie
hosannavideos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2009, 5:41 PM   #2

Welcome to Steve's!

Your best bet would be a dSLR. They have a better selection of large aperture lenses for use in low light than you would get with a P&S Digicam.

Do you have a budget in mind?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 6:04 PM   #3

Hellothanks for the reply. I'd like to stay around the 500.00 make if possible. My friend just told me about the Fuji FinePix S100FS and not the FD model I posted earlier. If you have any other models in mind, it would be great. I like the features of the Fuji FinePix S100FS. Maybe you can review it and give me your expert opion on it. Thank you again for your help, Eddie
Old Apr 20, 2009, 7:30 PM   #4

Hi and welcome aboard i have the Canon 40D and also the Fuji S100fs, a dslr is going to give you the best low light performance and all around better detail no matter what time of the day you shoot but that is something you will see if your a pixel peeper zoomed in to 100%, but thats not to say the Fuji isn't good as it does very good in low light for a bridge camera (probably the best one out now) i also have the Canon SX10 IS and it is no match for the Fuji in low light or daylight, the Fuji has very good image quality
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 7:38 PM   #5

The Fuji S100FS is on sale at various etailers for around $500. It is probably the low light champion among superzooms, partly because its sensor is bigger than the sensors in other superzooms.

I have the Panasonic FZ28 and it is a good camera, much smaller than the S100FS. However, I wouldn't use it at settings above ISO 800unless absolutely necessay.

If you can be content with a smaller zoom range, you might consider the Fuji FinePix F200EXR, which just came out. It is a 12 megapixel camera which has a low noise mode at 6 megapixels. it goes from 28 mm at wide angle to 140 mm at telephoto. It seems to be very good in low light for a non DSLR.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:39 PM   #6

Hi, Low light capability and telephoto really do not go together very well. A telephoto (superzoom) basically focuses on a very small area, thus very good lighting is needed - in order to get an good image. A low light lens is needed (something on the order of f2 to f2.8 ) and those even using a dSLR are expensive.

The Panasonic has a lens at the upper end of the zoom of f4.4, with the Fuji having an upper end of f5.6. Even the Canon G10 has an upper end of f4.5. For low light capability a lower number is better. To compensate, you can raise the ISO speed, or lengthen the shutter speed. A higher ISO speed will produce grainy (or noisey) images (reduced image quality), and a slower shutter speed will produce blur in the image either from something moving in the frame or if you exceed the capabilities of the image stabilization, camera shake.

Photography is a set compromises as there is no perfect camera. To get decent low light images with in your $500 budget, you need something along the lines of a Panasonic has the LX3 which has a f2-2.8 lens with a large sensor, however what you are giving up is zoom as it only goes from 24mm to 60mm. The Fuji goes to 400mm and the FZ28 goes to 486mm. So you can see that 60mm does not supply much in the telephoto department. Even going to a dSLR, the item that is going to make it work is a fast lens, and they are expensive $500+ just for the glass, regardless of the body you put it on, plus anything over 300mm tends to be quite large and heavy, especially if its a fast lens (~f2.8 ).

Just as a point of illustration, take a look at this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K77UvaiHii0
... its a Sigma 200mm - 500mm f2.8 lens. It needs to be large in order to collect sufficient light at that telephoto range. It also carries a pretty large price tag of $22,000.

I have a LX3 and it is probably the best low light point and shoot available, but it does not do everything - as in telephoto. It was built for wide angle and low light.

I would suggest getting to church early and sitting in the front pew, as its location, location, location, so as to cut down on the amount of zoom that is needed, and to increase the potential available light. All the models top out at iso speed 1600 with the both the Fuji and FZ20 going to 3200 with reduced capabilities. The LX3 tops out at 3200, but it introduces noise into the image. Panasonic has a FZ50 that tops out at f3.7 and goes to 400mm but its $800 to $900 range.

This is a case of needing 3 items, but only being able to choose any 2.

Cameras have a habit of dropping in price, so I would think that the FZ50 would drop into your range in a year or two. I know it does not help you right now, but that is everything that comes to mind at the present....

Hope that helps...
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 8:01 AM   #7

Thank you all for helping with this difficult decission. I really want to make the right choice. If I could add one more cam to see what your opion is, would be the Sony DSC-H50. I was told late last night that is about the same specs as the Fugi but with 15 zoom and 9.1 mp. Below is the URL to specs. I really want to know what you think between the DSC-H50 & the Fujifilm Finepix S100fs. So glad there is some really helpful photographers here. Thank you in advance, Eddie

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665360043

Old Apr 21, 2009, 8:18 AM   #8

hosannavideos wrote:
Quote:
Thank you all for helping with this difficult decission. I really want to make the right choice. If I could add one more cam to see what your opion is, would be the Sony DSC-H50. I was told late last night that is about the same specs as the Fugi but with 15 zoom and 9.1 mp. Below is the URL to specs. I really want to know what you think between the DSC-H50 & the Fujifilm Finepix S100fs. So glad there is some really helpful photographers here. Thank you in advance, Eddie

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665360043

Compare the S100fs and the DSC-H50 here fuji still will be better,
http://www.imaging-resource.com/CAMD...re_cameras.php
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:10 AM   #9

Hello hercules, thanks for the website, it was great help but I found 2 other cameras that seems to be usable. Decissions,decissions. :?.. I found the Pentax X70 & Olympus SP-590UZ. I didnt know they made cams with this high of a zoom, but Im concerned about quality also compared to the Fuji which everyone seems to recommend. Just curious of how these 2 meet up to the fuji. Everybody here is so helpful. I've tried to call some photo internet sites for these same kind of opions but found out they seem to know nothing, just to sell!. Thank you again..............!!!!!

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1450

http://www.pentax.jp/english/imaging...0/feature.html
Old Apr 22, 2009, 8:07 AM   #10

hosannavideos wrote:
Quote:
... I found theĀ* Pentax X70 & Olympus SP-590UZ. ...
None of the digicams in this class would be suitable for low light non-flash photography. Their lenses are too slow, particularily when zoomed toward the tele end, to be usable in such conditions. Their small sensors prevent the extremely high ISOs that some DSLRs can achieve.

The only digicams that would do well in low light don't have much tele and you still need to avoid the tele end in low light even with them. Two of the better choices in this class would be the Panasonic LX3 (f/2.0 at the wide end) and the Canon G10 (f/2.8 at the wide). The Canon has a slower lens (still much faster than the common super-zoom digicam) than the Panasonic but slightly better high ISO performance which somewhat compensates.

Which ever way you go, don't expect to shoot handheld in low light without flash with a lens slower than f/2.8.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote