Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 21, 2009, 1:02 AM   #1

Greetings!

Hi, im new in this forum..

I was looking for an average point and shoot camera as replacement to my Kodak M753 as well as a long-term partner to

my "future" professional SLR that I plan to buy on October this year.

After reading good reviews, (including from this site) I already bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS3..

I haven't tried any outdoor shots yet for it is forbidden in my current location (Riyadh).

.. But I'm having a dilemma because I forgot to consider Sony's DSC-W120 or W130. Though higher in price, the brand is more popular (right?)..

honestly- I've never heard of about Panasonic cam before.. its not popular compared with sony.

Anyway- since return & exchange policy is not a problem in the stores here andmy lumix is still just 4 days old- I can exchange it with sony, ill just pay a little more.

Just a personal advice, do you think ill exchange it or just keep my lumix fs3? I am more into quality shots & performance.. especially on low light and even in night conditions.

Thanks a lot for the advice!

ONZKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2009, 6:50 AM   #2

Neither the Lumix FS3 nor either of the Sony's are particularly good at low light shooting. The only small cameras that are a cut above the rest in this regard are the Fuji F100fd, Fuji F200EXR and Panasonic LX3. The F200EXR and LX3 are very expensive. In the USA Fuji is offering a $100 rebate on the F100fd, bringing the net price down to $150. I'm not sure if you can take advantage of it where you're located.

Apart from the difficult low light issue, your Lumix FS3 is at least as good as the Sony W120 or W150.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:55 AM   #3

Set the FS3 to its Night scene mode and you should get a shutter time up to 60 seconds. Of course this requires a tripod. But for dark night shotsthat long shutter speed is amajor advantage over the Sonys. If your idea of night shooting is brightly lit clubbing districts, then this sensitivity is not needed, the Sony may be slightly better.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 1:35 PM   #4

Hi, thanks for your advice... Im now more confident and i'll just keep my FS3 =). Maybe i haven't explored its full potential. last night i tried it indoor, i noticed its a bit slow in saving.. restraining me to shoot faster, one after another. by the way, KCook- what do you mean a 60 sec delay? is it automatic once i'm on night mode? i noticed most of my shots are blured despite the active stabilizer mode 2... i have a night mode sample here but im inside the moving car. i have other photos as well- i noticed the lamps is like a big glow.. not defined- is it naturally like this for point and shoot? well my old kodak m753 is not that good during night as well..

thanks!!

Attached Images

Old Apr 21, 2009, 3:35 PM   #5

I did not mean a shutter delay. I meant that the shutter staysopen for 60 seconds. In other words, a time exposure. Which is why a tripod would be needed, not from a moving car! This long exposure is available only in the Night scene setting. And when you set the camera to its Night scene, it gives you a choice of 3 different shutter speeds. You have to select the 60 seconds.

For shots from moving cars, shutter speeds have to be short. In that case the Sony may give slightly better results.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 4:47 PM   #6

another night shot...
Attached Images

Old Apr 21, 2009, 5:00 PM   #7

hi KCook.. thanks for that setting- i saw it. you mean the starry sky scene.. ok ill try it. thanks again!