Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 22, 2009, 5:05 PM   #1

Hello, please help me choose a new camera.

I want to use the camera for:
-General use.
-Social occasions.
-Hiking, kayaking and outdoor activities ( Yes I have special water protection gear to hold a camera)
-Aquarium fish.

I will probably choose another Kodak as I've liked how user friendly is it, however feel welcome to suggest other brands.

Some features I'm looking for:
- Must be an upgrade/ better then the camera I already have otherwise not much point in buying a new one.
- At least 8MP.
- The same size or smaller then the current model.
- Will not cost more then $400.
- I am willing to shop around and if the right model is more then $400 , I will buy it used.
- Will use the same memory sticks ( SD).
- Will use a re-chargeable battery.
- Will take decent pictures of aquarium fish/ has a decent macro lens or whatever other features one needs for this purpose?.
- Will take short movies ( Do they all do this these days?).. I think so.
-I have a mac mini computer 1.42 processor speed. It would be best if the camera would work with this.

I'm aiming to get this new camera by June if possible.
Any other suggestions appreciated such as things I haven't mentioned or other resources I should check out for my personal research.
I realize I haven't used a lot of the proper technoogy terms here and hope someone can at least steer me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance, hope to hear from some experts out there.

Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2009, 5:28 PM   #2

Kodak has several cameras in the same general class as your DX. I'd suggest you look at the Z1085 and the Z1485. Both have a Schneider 5x with image stabilization. In macro mode they focus as close as 7.9" or .2m. which a subject width of about 2.5". They have a relatively large 1/1.663 sensor (for a P&S) however with fewer pixels the 1085 will probably have lower noise at high ISOs. Both list @ $200.

The only Kodak with more macro capability is the new Z980 which is considerably larger, heavier and more expensive listing at $400.

Both cameras do HD video at 30 fps.

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:54 PM   #3

The Panasonic TZ5 might fit your needs. It has a 10X optical zoom from 28 to 280mm, 9Mp, macro focus down to two inches in wide, HD movies and a great 3 inch LCD with 460k pixels. Dpreview gave it a "highly recommended" and all of the reviews I saw were positive. Imaging Resource usually mentions any Mac problems in their reviews and nothing was mentioned.

Even though a new model (ZS3) is out the prices seem to be going back up looking at Pricegrabber. But one vendor on Ebay with good ratings is selling a black one for $215 with free shipping that includes an 8Gb memory card, belt case and mini tripod. It is a great little camera for that price. I bought mine last year on Ebay and was pleased with the seller. http://cgi.ebay.com/PANASONIC-DMC-TZ...3A1%7C294%3A50

If you really want to spend close to $400 the new Panasonic ZS3 is probably an even better camera. But the TZ5 is quite competent.

You won't find many cameras with eyelevel viewfinders anymore in that size range. They have increased the size of the LCDs and reduced the camera size to the degree that there isn't room for one on a compact camera. There aren't any manual modes on the TZ5, but the intelligent auto mode is pretty sophisticated at guessing what you are doing and putting you in the right scene mode. It has gobs of scene modes. I just use the normal mode and have gotten good results.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 9:58 AM   #4

While looking at these cameras, I found infomation on too many MP being something negative on a "small senser" while looking up the Kodak Z1485 modal.
Seems like a good choice otherwise , I could get one off the Kodak refurbished page with all the stuff for under the maximium I want to spend.

Does anyone know what this issue is in lay person's terms?.

That z980 does look like it has a nice marco lens for my fishies, but looking at the camera bag they recomend for it, looks like it'd be too large and heavy to ever go hiking with me.

Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:47 AM   #5

Eclipse wrote:
Quote:
...I found infomation on too many MP being something negative on a "small senser" while looking up the Kodak Z1485 modal.....

Does anyone know what this issue is in lay person's terms?.
As the individual light sensitive element, the photo receptor sight,on a sensor gets smaller it is less sensitive to light hence requires more amplification to produce a usable output. This amplification also amplifies the electrical noise produced by sensor which then appears in the photo as an artifact similar to grain in high speed films. Signal processing can remove some this noise but also may (will) blur fine detail in the photo. This is somewhat a balancing act on the part of the designer.

Although the Z1085/1485 cameras have a relatively large sensor (1/1.663") for a P&S camera I'd still prefer a Z1085 because of it's larger photo receptors, 10MP in 1/1.633 compared to 14MP in 1/1.663 in the Z1485. Otherwise they're essentially the same camera.

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:21 AM   #6

Change of plans for me. I have decided to wait until July to get my "fancier" camera.

I have been informed that there will be issues with cameras for the volunteer job trip I'm planning to go on in June . They do not want us photographing people or anything to do with our volunteer job. My pack will be on a mule and we hike in ten miles, plus two miles each day to the work site.

I am going on another side trip after my volunteer job is up and since I hardly ever get to go on trips, I want a few pictures of me hiking or other personal memories so I'm not going to obey the don't bring a camera suggestion.

So I got to thinking, instead of bringing a new, fancy expensive camera, bring a tiny basic camera along in June because it'll be easier to conceal in my pocket.
I looked on ebay and I could get a small used camera with all the features I need for a few memory snapshots for $25 or I could probably just bring my cell phone and use the simple camera on there.

If I get this small camera for hiking, then my "fish" camera can be a bit larger/ heavier since I can take the tiny camera for all my extended longer hikes such as when I want to hit the long trail again.
My DX7440 went on the long trail with me when I first got it and it left me wanting a more compact camera fairly quickly as much as I liked all the flower pictures and small critter pictures I took with the zoom lens.