Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 22, 2009, 5:28 PM   #1

i am thinking of getting a canon system, and need some assistance to get a starting point

my main concern is focus speed and accuracy in bright and low light conditions

which body is a good starting point

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:43 PM   #2
Administrator

Dave:

Even though you're looking at a specific brand, I've moved your thread to our What Camera Should I Buy? Forum where you're likely get more responses (and so that others trying to find a camera will be more likely to see the thread and benefit from the discussion).

I'd suggest you give members more information on what you're trying to shoot and the conditions you're trying to shoot in, as well as budget for both camera body and lenses.

Your description of needs is pretty vague, and lens choice (focal range, brightness, etc.) will make a big difference.

A camera body alone doesn't make for fast focus (and even if a given lens does focus as fast as needed in the conditions you're shooting in, you still need to take angle of view, shutter speeds you can expect to achieve and more into consideration to get acceptable image quality).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:22 AM   #3

thanks

Dave
Old Apr 23, 2009, 3:21 AM   #4
Super Moderator

The subject of your pictures has a rather big influence on AF suitability.

What are you going to be shooting?
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 7:01 PM   #5

genaral photography,

i now have the pentax k20d with the pentax16-50f/2.8 and 50-135f/2.8 . alot of times i find myself waiting for it lock focus. i know a lot of pentax users complain of the same senario, thinking of switching to nikon or canon, if thats what it will takes

Dave
Old Apr 24, 2009, 1:47 AM   #6

between the Nikon D90 and the Canon 50D,

which do you think is a better buy

autofocus speed, accurate metering, easy to handle,

in general , which is a better system

Dave

Old Apr 24, 2009, 7:37 AM   #7
Administrator

Dave:

I merged the two similar threads you started so that members could get a better idea of what you're seeing with your existing system, and so that responses would all be in the same thread.

Have you experimented with different focus modes using your K20D? For example, AF-S versus AF-C, center point versus wide area, etc.?

Your model has a number of custom settings related to Autofocus, too. So, you may want to try using the "Reset Custom Settings" option under your Custom Settings menu, to make sure you don't have something configured so that it's causing an issue (for example AF on half press on/off, etc.).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 8:15 AM   #8

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
genaral photography,

i now have the pentax k20d with the pentax16-50f/2.8 and 50-135f/2.8 . alot of times i find myself waiting for it lock focus. i know a lot of pentax users complain of the same senario, thinking of switching to nikon or canon, if thats what it will takes

Dave
Dave - can you give a specific example of a shooting situation recently where this occured? I just want to be sure there isn't something extreme going on that would cause you problems in any system. You're using 2.8 lenses which is good. And while the K20d doesn't have as good a focus system as the D90 or 50D for normal photography you shouldn't find yourself waiting for focus lock alot of times (unless light levels are too low and you need to be using focus assist beam or you're tracking a moving subject).

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:49 AM   #9

it is a problem i started realizing, in that you do get focus lock, but always hear family members replying, boy you could take long to take a picture, when acuually at that responce time you have been waiting for focus lock, and i know it is not really that long, i dont know who to explain that lenght of time, it is short in terms of timebut my canon s5is is shorter

i was convinced it was a problem, when last weekend my wife was taking a picture with me in it , and i have never really complained to her about the the length of time it takes,and she said she is pressing the shutter button and nothing is happening and i was laughing inside cause i know to myself the button is waiting on focus lock

dont get me wrong all this is happening in some where a fraction of a second, but i find that the length of time between pressing the shutter button half way to get focus lock and the shutter going off is a bit tediously long

Dave
Old Apr 24, 2009, 11:02 AM   #10

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Dave:

I merged the two similar threads you started so that members could get a better idea of what you're seeing with your existing system, and so that responses would all be in the same thread.

Have you experimented with different focus modes using your K20D? For example, AF-S versus AF-C, center point versus wide area, etc.?

Your model also has a number of custom settings related to Autofocus, too. So, you may want to try using the "Reset Custom Settings" option under your Custom Settings menu, to make sure you don't have something configured so that it's causing an issue (for example AF on half press on/off, etc.).

jim i have been doing all kinds of things, i have the focus dial set to center point most of the times which did help cut down some time as the camera only has to choose a single area to focus on, one member helped a bit by telling me , he got some shorter focus lock times by actually rotating the camera slightly to the left and right while pressing the shutter button halfway. you get the same responce even if you use the focus lock button at the back of the body. actually on pentax forum you hear all kinds of stories, but i find one should not have to do all these things so that people would have to wait on you, and if starting over is going to correct this , i will