Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 25, 2009, 6:03 PM   #1

My Olympus c-750 was recently damaged and I'm looking for a replacement for it. I liked the 10x zoom and the auto feature worked well on it, but I was told it wasn't worth repairing.It seemsalot more camera can be bought today for much less money. The replacement will be used in much the same way it wasincluding macro, action, wildlife, pets, and family pictures. My main wants are a good auto feature so that my wife and others can use it but that I can grow with as I learn more about it, a good zoom at least 10 preferably 12x or more, and pleasing realistic colors rendered. The more durable/ beter quality constuction obviously is prefered. I have a Canon Vixia HF100, so video features aren't a priority with this camera. Some models I've been reading about are the Olympus 565UZ, Panasonic FZ28, and Canon SX-10, as the huge zooms seem very appealing but not absolutlynecessary. If there are other models with a little less zoom that would be better quality for about the same money I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks for all replies!
Backlashd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2009, 9:02 PM   #2

For many people raw is a big deal. It offers better photos but involves a little work. You have to be into post processing to make it a consideration. The SZ10 doesn't have raw and the others you mentioned do have it.

The SX10 is larger than the other two, but it has some features I like. It has a hot shoe. Even an inexpensive automatic flash unit will improve flash shots a lot. It has a 4 fps burst mode for full sized images, which is great for sports and wildlife. I also like the fully articulated flip-out LCD. It is pricier than the other two.

I like the 26mm (eq) wide angle on the Oly. The others are 28mm, which isn't bad, but not quite as nice as 26mm. Of course you pay that back with a little less telephoto. The downside of the Oly is the cycle speed. Reviewers say the cause is the slow xD card, which hasn't increased in speed like SD. The camera evidently switches from the EVF to the LCD every shot, which would irritate me. I guess that helps hide the wait for the next shot. Raw writes are slow enough you would be tempted to stick with JPG.

The FZ28 is an all round nice camera. I personally prefer lithium batteries. The camera is probably lighter than the Oly once you install the four NiMH batteries in the Oly, and you don't have self-discharge to worry about. It is faster than the Oly in cycle times and burst mode. And if you decide to use raw the cycle time is acceptable except in dynamic situations, where raw on the Panny is about the same as JPG on the Oly.

You probably already have xD memory cards. Each increase in Mp has seemed to require a larger card for me, and I don't like swapping out smaller ones. The larger card will be cheaper with SD. If you opt for the Panny or Canon make sure to get a fast card or the cycle times will suffer. You probably already have a charger and NiMH batteries. If so, spares are cheaper.

The auto modes on all three have all the current bells and whistles, so the family shouldn't have problems shooting auto everything with any of them.

You have a good camcorder and don't care about the movie modes on the cameras. But there will be times when you have only the camera with you and the FZ28 is the only one of the three that takes wide HD movies, with the optical zoom useable during movie capture. The other two are still klunking along at 640 X 480. I have a little TZ5 and the HD movies are impressive. You might find you don't always have to carry both.

I don't know of anything cheaper than the FZ28 and 565UZ that would give you the lens versatility you seem to want. I don't think the extra hundred bucks for the SX10 would be justified since you seem to consider price an important factor – especially if you don't think you would buy an external flash. It is also quite large and heavy.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:40 AM   #3

Walmart has the kodak Z1012 with 10mp, 12x optical zoom, excellent IS ,with full manual and auto controls for $199.95. It is an excellent value and a great camera. It might be worth a look.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:41 AM   #4

Thank you very much for the informativereply. I guess I'm still torn though on which to get . I'm drawn to the Oly just from my experience with the c-750, but it was rather slow between shots so Ithink I would like to get away from the Xd cards. Ialready have a few fast Sd cards I use with my HF100 so I'll lean towards the other 2 models. The slight price difference doesn't really matter, and I've got plenty processing/editing to play with on the HD camcorder. So RAW isn't a big deal to me. I'm leaning a bit toward the canon because of batteries and the experience I've had with the movie canera.Which model do you feel has better constuction between the panny and Canon?

thanks again, and I'm still open to any suggestions!
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:41 AM   #5

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Walmart has the 10mp, 12x otical zoom, IS with full manual and auto controls for $199.95. It is an excellent value and a great camera. It might be worth a look.

Sarah Joyce
Thank you Sara, is that a canon model?

Old Apr 26, 2009, 11:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Which model do you feel has better constuction between the panny and Canon?
They are both well constructed – I don't think that is a factor. You might look at them in a store if there is one near you that carries those models. The canon is a larger and heavier camera.

Quote:
is that a canon model?
Canon does not make Kodak cameras to the best of my knowledge.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 5:31 PM   #7

slipe wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Which model do you feel has better constuction between the panny and Canon?
They are both well constructed – I don't think that is a factor.* You might look at them in a store if there is one near you that carries those models.* The canon is a larger and heavier camera.

Quote:
is that a canon model?
Canon does not make Kodak cameras to the best of my knowledge.
Thank you Sarah, I must have read your reply before you edited it with the camera make. I took your advice and I was able to find the kodak at Sams Club, but unfortunately there was no power to see how it functioned. It seems like a option for the price. I also found the Sx10 at Best Buy and played with it for a while. It seems to have alot of features and options. I was very impressed with the range of zoom and it was even able to focus on my finger with it touching the lens! I like the hotshoe, AA batt, and SD. It is rather substantial but it felt good in my hand. I've seen it for less than 250$ online, and for that little difference I'd probably go for the Canon with the extra zoom. I'll go back and read the reviews again to be sure and compare the sample photos. The Panny seems to be universally loved too, and I haven't ruled it out. I wish I could use each model for a week before I purchased! Thanks again and any more insight or suggestions are appreciated.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:05 AM   #8

I believe that price of 250$ for the canon was bogus. I read reviews of the site and it was very unfavorable. So, I'm not sure the canon is worth the extra 100$ or not. The other thread alsogives good food for thought. On a bright note, I fixed my c-750 that the shop told me couldn't be repaired.

But I'm too invested at this point to not buy a new camera!:G

I do think I will rule out the Z1012 since it has a very similar zoom to my c-750, though I'm sure it is a very nice model.

I'll probably be happy with either of the other 3 models mentioned, I just need to decide which features are most important to me. I also need to pick one within the next day or two to make sure I receive it before my upcoming vacation.

Thanks again to all for the help.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 6:06 PM   #9

Just an update, I opted for the FZ28 and got an extra battery pack. The more I researched I realized that RAW formatwill be nice for certain situations, and that was the deciding factor for me. Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

Does anyone know if the FZ28 has any in-camera RAW editing options like the 565UZ has?