Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which Camera for Me?
Nikon D40 2 33.33%
Canon XSI 4 66.67%
Canon XS 0 0%
Other (please reply) 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 27, 2009, 4:02 PM   #11

will this be a good lens if i bought the xsi?: Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-105mm f/4-5.6 Autofocus Lens
Will this work when taking night time stage photos and wild life, as you described or maybe a good walk around lens? I'm still trying to figure lenses out

I'm seriously thinking of buying a refurbished 30d with the refurbished Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-105mm f/4-5.6 Autofocus Lens
dips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 4:12 PM   #12
Administrator

That's a very dim lens (with only f/5.6 available if you zoom in much).

For those types of photos (photos of people on stage indoors), you'll really want an f/2.8 zoom (for example a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8, which runs approximately $800).

Or, if you're close, another f/2.8 zoom instead could work.

Note that f/2.8 is 4 times as bright as f/5.6 (which is the widest available aperture with most cheaper zooms).

If you're a bit closer to the stage, use could a prime (fixed focal length versus zoom lens) instead (for example, an 85mm f/1.8 AF-D). But, with entry level Nikon models (D40, D40x, D60, D5000), you would not have any autofocus using lenses like the Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.8, since these camera bodies do not have a built in focus motor and will require lenses that do like Nikon's AF-S (Silent Wave Focusing) lens models.

So, you'll need to stick with lenses that have focus motors instead if you want Autofocus (leaving out a number of choices that work with other Nikon dSLR models).

I would not suggest trying to use a consumer grade zoom with only f/5.6 available if you zoom in much photos of people indoors unless you want motion blur from subject movement.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 5:07 PM   #13

ohh boy, this is going to be expensive..

i'm just gonna run up there snap a bunch of shots and run back to my seat before the guards or teachers catch me.

So i guess either the XSI with the stock 18-55mm lens
or
The Refurbished Canon 30D with an i-don't-know-what-to-choose lens

i feel like a pest on this forum but i want to make sure i'm making the right decision with this investment since i'm just a college freshman with little money.
dips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:06 AM   #14
Administrator

It all depends on the stage lighting. But, I wouldn't expect an f/5.6 zoom to "cut it" indoors in typical stage lighting (at least not without using a powerful external flash and making sure you're within the flash range if you are not *very* close.

Now, you may be able to get some keepers. But, technique will play a big role. You'll want to prefocus with a half press of the shutter button in advance, then try to time your shots for when there is a pause in subject movement to help reduce blur from subject movement.

I'd practice in similar conditions ahead of time, as you'll probably need to use higher ISO speed settings (i.e, think ISO 1600), and you'll want to set White Balance accordingly to prevent color casts (tungsten/incandescent is usually a good bet for most stage lighting). If you shoot in raw, you'll have more flexibility for correcting white balance and exposure issues later. You may also have metering difficulties (as darker areas of a stage can easily fool a cameras metering system, as can the color of uniforms being worn). I usually revert to manual exposure for indoor stage lighting, using the camera's playback and histogram features as a guide to how my settings are working.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote