Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which Camera for Me?
Nikon D40 2 33.33%
Canon XSI 4 66.67%
Canon XS 0 0%
Other (please reply) 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 27, 2009, 1:10 AM   #1

Hey everyone, thanks for taking interest in this topic and helping me out in advance.

I'm looking into buying a dslr from either Canon or Nikon
My Budget is ~600, but could probably squeeze another 100-200 out if it's really worth it.

For Nikon, i am looking at a d40 with an 18-55, my girlfriend's sister is selling hers for 390, she bought it used (manual wasn't even opened, i don't know if that makes a difference, probably professionally owned) That leaves me some extra money for a flash unit or a 55-200 vr lens or even both.

For Canon, i am looking at a Canon XSI for about 700, i need to break the bank for another 100 dollars, but is it worth having a brand new camera and not upgrading for some time? I will also not be able to buy a flash unit or another lens.

Does anyone have experience with these cameras?

Something, rather someone, that has influenced me is Ken Rockwell, he says d40 is a perfect camera for a beginner such as myself, and he uses it as a vacation/compact.
I've been told to take his advice with a grain of salt (or maybe a teaspoon) and all that, but i believe him due to street testing, and hopefully some of you can help me more.. i'm losing sleep over this.

Thanks again for looking! and thanks in advance for replying! All help is greatly appreciated and i'm looking forward to sharing photos with you
dips is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2009, 6:49 AM   #2

The camera you should choose depends a lot on what you want to take pictures of. The Nikon D40 has an autofocus system ill suited for sports/action/wildlife, while the Canon XSi has one of the best.

Also, because it lacks an internal autofocus motor, the Nikon D40 has one of the smallest selections of OEM and third party lenses, and there are almost no used lenses for it.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 7:53 AM   #3

Make it a tablespoon :-)

From the 3 models on your list XSi is the best all-around camera, but also the most expensive. Your best bet is to visit a camera store and try them out yourself. Ergonomics is important, so what feels the best in your hands is the best camera for you, all 3 are capable of delivering great results.

algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:07 AM   #4

I agree you should visit a store and hold all the cameras. As far as how easy a camera is for a beginner - they'll all be fine. From an ergonomics andoperation perspective all the entry level DSLRs are easy to use. The major difference is the default 'settings' in the cameras for sharpening, color, contrast etc. The D40 is set up to provide images more closely resembling digicam results as opposed to the Canons. But the nice thing about DSLRs is those settings can all be changed very easily. Of bigger import is how the camera feels/operates. Location of buttons/dials and the functions they control are different. People sometimes prefer the setup / feel of one brand vs. the other. And it's a very important issues.

My only word of caution is on buying a DSLR that has been owned by 2 different people already. You don't know how those people treated the camera. And you won't have any warranty. I am never a big fan of buying a DSLR body second-hand. If you have to for cost reasons, get a refurb from a place like B&H so you'll at least have some type of guarantee on it and you know it's been inspected.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:10 AM   #5
Administrator

dips wrote:
Quote:
For Nikon, i am looking at a d40 with an 18-55, my girlfriend's sister is selling hers for 390, she bought it used (manual wasn't even opened, i don't know if that makes a difference, probably professionally owned) That leaves me some extra money for a flash unit or a 55-200 vr lens or even both.
I would be hesitant to spend that much on a used D40 kit.

For one thing, you wouldn't get as warranty with it (Nikon USA will only honor the warranty if you're the original purchaser and bought it from an authorized Nikon USA dealer). Also, there are a lot of "gray market" cameras being sold now (not intended for sale in the country you live in). Nikon USA will usually refuse to service these, even if you are willing to pay for the service. So, unless you know that the camera was originally intended for sale in the U.S., you could risk getting a camera that would be difficult to get serviced.

The D40 is a dated model now, and is getting harder to find in new condition. But, I've noticed that newegg.com (reputable vendor) has new D40 kits with a one year warranty for $429 now. If you decide to go that route, I'd get a new one instead.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830113037

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:27 AM   #6
Administrator

Another way to purchase Nikon dSLR models is to buy one in factory refurbished condition, as JohnG mentioned.

Again, make sure you're buying from a reputable vendor, as you don't want to get a gray market camera.

A reputable Ebay vendor that sells a lot of factory refurbished gear is Camera Auctiions. You can see their Nikon listings here:

Nikon Cameras from Cameta Camera

You can get a reburbished Nikon D40 kit for $339.95 now. Cameta sells these as "Factory Demos", and includes a 1 year store warranty on them. But, these are actually factory refurbished cameras with a Nikon USA 90 Day warranty that Cameta extends to one year. Unlike many Ebay vendors selling gray market gear, Cameta is an authorized Nikon USA Dealer and sells Nikon cameras intended for sale in the U.S.. A number of our members have purchased refurbished Nikon cameras from them. Here's an example of a D40 kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=350195301063

You can get a higher resolution (10 Megapixel) D40x model with a better stabilized lens (Nikon calls these VR for "Vibration Reduction") for only $399.95 now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110382527692

Old Apr 27, 2009, 11:29 AM   #7

However nice the ergonomics are for one camera, or how objectionable they are for another, if a camera is entirely unsuitable for what you want to do, you shouldn't buy it, no matter how nice it feels in your hand.

What do you want to shoot?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 3:44 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies everyone!

In regards to what i want to shoot, my brother is graduating high school and my sister from middle school, i want to be able to take nice portrait shots of them in their gowns along with them being on stage. I also would like to shoot clouds and pictures of wildlife or animals at the zoo..pretty much all around, something a point and shoot won't let me do very well.

I plan on going to ritz today, i've been to 2 so far that were closing, looking for a good deal, but canons and nikons are going quick. If i can't find one there i might go to bestbuy and play around with a few cameras.

This ebay seller claims he's a Canon authorized dealer, and has countered my offer of 600 for the canon xsi with an 18-55mm lens for $665, and from reading the replied, i may go for it today or possibly tomorrow, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200334234245
i need to stop focusing on this and focus on my chem test tomorrrow
Old Apr 27, 2009, 4:18 PM   #9

Thank you JimC and JohnG for showing me refurbished cameras
I'm kind of anal when it comes to buying used, i like to buy new if i get the chance because there are usually less problems with new ones, but i have seen a canon 30 for 489 and some lenses i can use with it for around 100, so it's in my price range, i'm loving the info, thanks everyone
Old Apr 27, 2009, 4:27 PM   #10
Administrator

dips wrote:
Quote:
In regards to what i want to shoot, my brother is graduating high school and my sister from middle school, i want to be able to take nice portrait shots of them in their gowns along with them being on stage. I also would like to shoot clouds and pictures of wildlife or animals at the zoo..pretty much all around, something a point and shoot won't let me do very well.
For shots on stage, you'll need a brighter lens unless it's an outdoor ceremony in the daytime. The kit lens is not bright enough for indoor events. Even if the ceremony is outside in daylight, unless you're very close, a lens that's limited to 55mm on it's long end isn't long enough either.

The same thing will apply to wildlife photos. You'll want a longer focal length lens to fill the frame enough to get good detail from typical shooting distances.