Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 27, 2009, 2:46 PM   #1

I am looking for purchase my first drsl. I have been using a digital with a burst mode but want to purchase a camera more suitable for action shots.

Most pics will be outdoors and my girls are on the tennis team, cheer squad and barrel race.

I've been told outdoor pics after dark are tough but that would only be an added bonus.

I have looked at canons and nikons. I also have memberships to costco and sams.

Thanks for helping my confusion of a first time buyer!!
makin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2009, 3:22 PM   #2

For sports, the Canon XSi is the best entry level dSLR.

If you can get close, 200mm should be good enough, but from the stands, you may need to go to 300mm.

For night sports, you should have a lens with a maximum aperture of f/2.8 so you can use the faster shutter speeds required for shooting Tennis. For Cheering and Barrel Racing, you might get away with f/4.0.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:35 AM   #3

The XSi is a great camera but I would strongly urge you to go for the T1i (500D) instead - ISO 6400 capable vs. 1600 on the xsi. For sports work it really will be worth the extra money now. Still, the XSi with proper lens will out-perform the T1i with improper lens.

70-200 is a great lens for tennis and can work for barrel racing too if you're close enough - realizing though you're only going to get 1, maybe 2 of the barrels based on your position.

The 70-200 f4 ($560) would be my recommendation for the least expensive lens option if everything is outdoors.

If you need low light or indoors then you need a 70-200 2.8. The least expensive option I would recommend is the Sigma 70-200 2.8 ($750). Tamron makes a sharp 70-200 2.8 but the focus is too slow for critical sports work. The Canon version is better but it sells for $1100.

Even with memberships at costco and sams I would suggest looking at B&H or Adorama or Buydig.com online. You're likely to save over Costco or Sams.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 5:03 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. I have not looked at the T1i but I will now. Another parent has the D40 that she bought for sports. What do you think about that camera vs. the XSi or the T1i?

It gets comfusing so I really appreciate the help.. I am also going to check out pricing at the websites you recommended.
makin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 5:13 PM   #5
Super Moderator

makin wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I have not looked at the T1i but I will now. Another parent has the D40 that she bought for sports. What do you think about that camera vs. the XSi or the T1i?

It gets comfusing so I really appreciate the help.. I am also going to check out pricing at the websites you recommended.
The T1i will beat both of them easily also the AF on the D40 is not as good when tracking subjects as the XSi and I'm sure the T1i will use a similar system to other Canons.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote