Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:15 PM   #1

I need to purchase a new digital camera because the ex took the Canon SD500 and Rebel XT.

Obviously I'm a Canon fan, and right now my primary need is an ultracompact. So far I had mainly been struggling with the SD780 vs SD880 decision. HD video (which I will probably use quite a bit of) or better image quality. I also recently came across next weeks Best Buy ad and noticed the Sony T90 is going to be on sale for $270, making it only slightly more expensive than the two Canons.

Here are my main questions:

1. Has anyone compared the SD780 to the T90? I haven't found any reviews of the T90 yet, but I'm wondering if anyone has done some image quality comparisons. I know the main gimmick of the Sony is the touchscreen, but I also like the size and improved zoom over the Canon. If it somehow compares or bests the Canon in image quality, it might be a winner.

2. My main needs are: ultracompact, fairly quick shutter speed, and less than $300, and a great movie mode. I would prefer hd movie mode. The factors that will probably help determine my choice are image quality, hd movie mode, and size. Are there any significant models that have great size, image quality, hd movie mode, and a fairly quick shutter speed than I'm not considering?

Thanks in advance.
Evan
evancg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2009, 2:15 PM   #2

So I hate to bump my own post, but I have a few things to add. I still haven't found a thorough review of the T90, but infosync did post a review of it's big brother, the T900. As I feared, they weren't thrilled with the image quality.

So the SD780 and T90 are tiny cameras with HD video and average image quality. Am I hoping for too much if I want an ultracompact with great image quality and HD video? Part of me knows the HD video should be a trivial consideration, but I know I'll use the video mode a lot.
Old May 3, 2009, 5:53 PM   #3

I think image qual on any of these ultra compact is gonna suffer some. just no way around it. if you're willing to go a bit larger you can get much better quality. still not dslr

e.g. Lumix DMC-ZS3
m123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 6:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I went through a long Lumix consideration process as well (ZS3, or the FX37, or wait for the FX48, etc)...and think I finally decided the most important aspect for me is going to be the size. What good is better image quality if I decide to leave the camera behind because it's too big?

Plus Best Buy has the SD780 on sale for $250, and with a 10% coupon I have, a pretty sweet deal for a tiny HD capable camera with, all things considered, good, just not fantastic, image quality.