Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 2, 2009, 2:49 PM   #11

JimC
Unfortunately it's probably been about 260 days since I had published photos to the paper at my school. I did not bother keeping the photos electronically. I have the papers though...

It would not do much to scan the images.

I was just looking on flickr, keyworded ''indoor sports and (certain p&s models)

I noticed the Panasonic Lumix performed rather well at indoor track events.
The Sony H50 did great in wrestling matches.
And the Fuji s100fs did well in bball games.

If any of you were in my shoes, what would you do?

aeroelectro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 2:59 PM   #12

If I was in your shoes I would get a good D-SLR camera with a 2.8f/s lens. I've done outdoor sports work with as Sony A200 and a 28 - 300mm lens. Its not up to pro standards but the images after noise nija did make it to a local paper (in black and white of course). I'd save your money and get a good D-SLR.

Listen to Jim C, Mark and John G as they are the Gods around here in the sports department and TCav is very very good as well.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 3:11 PM   #13
Administrator

aeroelectro wrote:
Quote:
If any of you were in my shoes, what would you do?
Listen to what JohnG and Mark1616 are telling you. You'll want a dSLR with a brighter (think f/1.8 ) lens.

With dSLR models in your price range, you really don't want to exceed ISO 1600 unless you have to, and to get better results you need something brighter than f/2.8 so your shuttter speeds will be faster.

If you look at some of the photos taken by these guys using Canon dSLR models, a Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM was often the lens of choice in typical high school gym lighting. For one thing, it's brighter and sharper than most f/2.8 zooms would be at wide open apertures, and it's a fast focusing lens.

In a higher end body with a more usable ISO 3200, then you may want to consider an f/2.8 zoom instead (out of your price range for a body/lens combo).

So, within your budget, you're really going to need to stick with an entry level dSLR body using something like a 50mm f/1.8 AF lens for best results. You're not going to be able to take photos of everything (because you'll need to be relatively close to fill the frame enough for accurate focus and so you'll get enough player detail in images). But, I'd do that before trying to use a point and shoot model for indoor sports.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 4:23 PM   #14
Administrator

Now, you could use an external flash. But, you'd need to stay within the rated flash range (shorter with a dimmer lens), and keep things like flash recycle times in mind (which will be longer with a full power flash if you try using a dimmer lens). Focus speed can also be an issue (and a dimmer lens is going to have problems in that area).

Old May 3, 2009, 7:46 AM   #15

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Now, you could use an external flash.
Flash for volleyball is almost always disallowed. Basketball and wrestling it's usually OK but not for volleyball.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 7:49 AM   #16
Administrator

I should have ended that with "if allowed". ;-)

Old May 3, 2009, 10:00 AM   #17

What you want to do is tough, both on the equipment and on the photographer. You want to take action shots in the dark. Low light requires large apertures, slow shutter speeds and/or high ISO settings. Action requires fast shutter speeds. That leaves large apertures (much larger than the typical P&S digicam has) and high ISO settings (risking image noise, especially with the smaller image sensors found in P&S digicams.)

Wrestling doesn't have much action most of the time, and frequently, for wrestling, you can use flash. So wrestling isn't a problem. Basketball and Volleyball are a problem.

For Basketball under the net, a large aperture (f/2.0 or larger)50mm lens would work. They can be had for as little as Canon's 50/1.8 ($115, a recent increase), Nikon's 50/1.8 ($135), Pentax' 50/1.4 ($210) or Sony's 50/1.4 ($349). Sony dSLRs also have access to the Minolta 50/1.7 that's available used (~$110), and Sony is likely to introduce a new 50/1.8 in the near future, though the price has yet to be released.

That doesn't leave much room in your budget for a camera.

For Basketball from the sidelines and Volleyball, you'll need something longer, but large aperture medium telephoto lenses cost more. They would start at Canon's 85/1.8 ($380).

If all you want to do is post the images to the web, you can use a P&S Digicam, shoot at the highest ISO possible, and the downsampling for webpage size images will mask the image noise (which is likely to be what you're seeing on flickr.) Butif you want high resolution images for printing or publishing, you can't do that on the cheap.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 10:44 AM   #18
Administrator

TCav wrote:
Quote:
If all you want to do is post the images to the web, you can use a P&S Digicam, shoot at the highest ISO possible, and the downsampling for webpage size images will mask the image noise (which is likely to be what you're seeing on flickr.)
In addition to image noise (and/or loss of detail from noise reduction), you'd probably have motion blur to contend with using a P&S model.