Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 4, 2009, 8:03 PM   #1

I,m from the old school and I've deciated to buy a digitial camera. I,m going on a vacation in the near future and I will be doing alot of landscape photography. I want a wide angle and a telephoto lens. I did research on the cannon g 10. This camera seems to have the two lenses I'm looking for. My question is if you were me what camera is suitable for this vacation if its not the cannon and why?
bugs228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2009, 11:32 AM   #2

The main knock against the Canon G10 is simply the size of the price tag. Both Canon and Panasonic have less expensivecompacts that will give good results. But they definitely are not so old school as the lovely manual controls on the G10. About the only other way you are going to get that old school vibe is with a SLR-like model. And those are popular for vacation purposes. Even though they feature a lot more zoom than you are likely to require.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 4:48 PM   #3

Thanks Kelly, for your input but I think the slr models are more than the g 10 I was looking at. If there is any camera out there with better features I would be open to suggestions

thanks,

ron
bugs228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 9:41 PM   #4

Canon's own SX10 IS is priced under their G10 model. And that is one of the more pricey SLR-like (not DSLR) cameras.

Kelly
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 9:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs228 View Post
... and I will be doing alot of landscape photography. I want a wide angle and a telephoto lens.

I did research on the cannon g 10. This camera seems to have the two lenses I'm looking for.

My question is if you were me what camera is suitable for this vacation if its not the cannon and why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs228 View Post
...If there is any camera out there with better features I would be open to suggestions
Hi ron / bugs228!

Every camera-owner is biased towards his/her camera and the reason why he/she has chosen this particular model. So am I.

I am sure that the Canon G10 is a very good camera, in fact, I know of professional photographers who carry on as spare in case their dSLR- workhorse stops working. But the G10 has only 5x optical zoom against 18-20x optical zoom, which some of the SuperZoom cameras have. As far as I know, the G10 is mainly buildt of metal (probably a very sturdy pice of equipment and good to have in a selv-defens situation...) and therefor is a "heavy" camera compared to others.

Before you make up your mind about which camera will provide to you what you want, I'll just ask you to look through the following tread: "Panasonic FZ28 zoom capabilities " by member rontth
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...abilities.html
...and look at all the excellent travel-pictures from his trip to China (Peking) and the interior-shots from the Changi Airport T3 in Singapore. Those pictures will convince you that the Panasonic LUMIX FZ-28 is not a bad camera either. In fact, I am totally in love with my own FZ-28 and think that it gives great value in IQ, ease of handling and lightness of weight!!

The latter is of great importance if you carry your camera around your neck, all day long - belive me!! I am a landscape-guy myself and I am happy to carry my FZ-28 along all day, without tiring.

Pls excuse my english (I am missing the perfect Spell Check we had in the old software!!), as I am not fluent in this language.

Good luck with your choice!

Last edited by Walter_S; May 8, 2009 at 9:09 AM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 5:59 AM   #6

B&H is showing the Pansonic FZ-28 as DISCONTINUED....does that mean a higher zoom replacement is on the way??
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote