Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 5, 2009, 7:59 AM   #1

HI. I am new to the forums here, and this website is great! I currently own a Canon S3is.

I am looking at buying a Lumix DMC-L1K with a with a Leica D Vario Elmarit f/2.8-3.5 14-50mm zoom lens for under 650 bucks, new in box.

I also have the opportunity to buy a Casio Pro EX-F1 for the same price. I know this is an entirely different creature altogether (primarily a video camera)...but I can't make up my mind as to which to buy.
If some folks could weigh in, especially on the following questions, I might find a good answer.

1. Will i notice a big difference in image quality from my Canon S3is to the Lumix? Any other noticeable differences?

2. How would image quality rate between the S3is and Casio?
djholyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2009, 8:43 AM   #2
Administrator

djholyghost wrote:
Quote:
I am looking at buying a Lumix DMC-L1K with a with a Leica D Vario Elmarit f/2.8-3.5 14-50mm zoom lens for under 650 bucks, new in box.
Make sure you check out any vendor you consider, looking at store ratings and customer reviews at http://www.resellerratings.com

That's an older discontinued camera model and that price looks low for it, despite it being discontinued for a while now (although I do see some reputable vendors that still have a few). It's not uncommon for many of the scam artists around to advertise discontinued cameras that they don't actually have in stock using bait and switch tactics.

I'd let members know what you want to shoot more often (subject types, conditions) for better responses. Keep in mind that you would not have the zoom range of your existing camera with that particular lens (it would give you the same angle of view you'd have using a 28-100mm lens on a 35mm camera). But, it's a very nice lens. You'll also have to adjust to a few things like depth of field differences between a point and shoot model and a model like that Panasonic with it's larger sensor.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 9:17 AM   #3

vendor is a reputable one...i've done business with before...going out of business. thanks for the thoughts. could you explain the zoom difference a bit more?
djholyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 10:21 AM   #4
Administrator

If you zoom in about 1/4 of the way from wide to long with your S3 IS (to around a 100mm equivalent focal length), that's where you'd be zoomed in all the way to the maximum zoom position with the lens on the Panasonic. So, if you like to take photos of distant subjects, you'll need a longer focal length lens to fill the frame more (i.e., to get more apparent magnification)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 8:49 PM   #5

The Leica is built extremely well and will be around a long, long time.

The lens is a very, very good lens.

As to IQ, the difference in the lens and the larger sensor all tilt in favor of the DSLR.

The Leica will have a much shorter zoom range than your used to, and down the line you may need to pick up an additional lens or two. The Olympus Zuikos are completely compatable and are of very good quality.

Do you have any doubt as to which I'd choose?

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote