Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 7, 2009, 9:20 AM   #1

Default Information Overload !!!

Hi,

How much do I spend ? - Well My budget is 700 MAX!!!
What am I going to be using it for? - I am mainly going to be using taking family photo's..kids playing (skateboarding / biking etc) and when we are out taking landscapes. I do quite alot of fishing so I will be using to take photos of the fish I catch and as I am out at the crack of dawn and at dusk I am going to be taking some low level light shots and quite alot of wildlife photos during the day. I will be taking lots of Macro shots.

I will be mainly holding the camera so image stabilisation is important (I think) but I will also be using it on a tripod for some shots.

I am not really that bothered about how heavy the camera is as I will have it with me in my bag most of the time and when I see something I like I will take a few shots or pop it on the tripod.

Having read through the forums and done some research I am leaning towards the Sony A350 or the Canon Eos 1000D (I have seen the Rebel XS on ebay - Is this another version of the 1000D ?)

They both a similar price tag 350 which will leave room for the purchase of other lenses etc.

All help will be gratefully received !!
peterpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2009, 2:11 PM   #2

Pentax, Sony and most Olympus dSLRs have sensor shift image stabilization in the body, so all lenses, including older lenses and third party lenses, will be stabilized. Canon and Nikon use optical image stabilization in only a few OEM and third party lenses. If IS is important to you, I suggest you hnarrow your scope down to Pentax, Sony and Olympus (except the Olympus E-4x0 series) dSLRs.

For action shots of your kids playing, you should get a camera with a good autofocus system. Canon is the best, followed by Nikon (except the D40/D40X/D60), Sony, Pentax and Olympus.

Given the combination of your two major requirements, I'd suggest a Sony dSLR. The A200, A300 and A350 are identical except for a few differences. The A300 is just like the A200, except it has 'Live View' which allows you to compose the shot using the LCD display on the back of the camera. That makes it good for macro and low light photography, but the 'Live View' mechanism reduces the size of the optical viewfinder, and for action, you'll probably use the optical viewfinder more anyway. The A350 is just like the A300 except it has a 14MP image sensor instead of 10MP. This provides more detailed photos but it also reduces the shot-to-shot time when shooting continuously, which is handy when shooting action. The A200 & A300 can shoot 3 frames per second while the A350 can only do 2.5 fps. In addition, the A350 and A300 (in Europe) don't usually come with the 18-70 kit lens. This lens isn't very good, and its flaws are more apparent with the 14MP A350. There are better lenses, but they're more expensive.

Btw, the Canon EOS 1000D in Europe is the same as the Rebel XS in North America.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 10:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post

For action shots of your kids playing, you should get a camera with a good autofocus system. Canon is the best, followed by Nikon (except the D40/D40X/D60), Sony, Pentax and Olympus.
I am leaning towards the Canon because of the above, and furthermore having read about the 1000D I dont think it is going to be for me. So I am looking at the 450D now.

What lenses should I be looking at do you think ?

Thanks for the reply
Old May 11, 2009, 12:30 PM   #4

For an entry level dSLR, the Canon XSi has a very good autofocus system for sports/action/wildelife.

My daughter-in-law has the XTi (400D). She wanted a telephoto lens to use for our grandson's T-Ball games. I suggested these:

Tamron Zoom Normal-Telephoto AF 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Di-II LD Autofocus Lens ($170 - $40 rebate if you buy before September.

Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD 1:2 Auto Focus Macro Zoom Lens ($170)

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Autofocus Lens ($255)

The Canon is stabilized, but that's not much of a problem with action shots.

If your budget extends beyond these, there are better choices, but they'll be a lot more expensive.
Old May 12, 2009, 12:05 AM   #5

Peter-

You might save a whole lot of money, while compromising ever so slightly on IQ by going with a good ultra zoom like the FZ-28 or a h-50 Camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 8:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Peter-

You might save a whole lot of money, while compromising ever so slightly on IQ by going with a good ultra zoom like the FZ-28 or a h-50 Camera.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah,

Saving money would be GREAT!!!

I have had a look at those cameras and while they seem to do what I need. I dont want to compromise on the IQ. Some of the test shots in reviews seem dont seem to be sharp enough using Macro which I like to do alot of.

For me entering into the world of DSLR cameras for the first time.
What benefits do you see in having a 450D over either of the cameras you suggested ?
If its purely image quality then thats a good enough reason for me to go for the Canon.
I just had a new baby and want to get loads of photos of her in the best IQ I can!! I have all but worn out my Dimage7 and it just isnt quick enough as it takes so long to take and write to the memory!! I like the fact that you switch the Canon on and its pretty much ready to rumble and with 3fps its more than i need to catch the action shots I need for the other kids and my fishing.
Low level light shots are also a big favorite of mine - Is the Canon going to cut the mustard inthis respect?

Im talking myself into the canon more and more each day!!
My only reservation with the Canon is the fact that not many lenses are compatible with it.

Basically I have 700 to spend and want to get as much Camera / lens for my money as i can... Its a pity the exchange rate is so bad as 2 years ago $2 = 1 ...not any more though

Thanks for the reply.
Old May 12, 2009, 9:39 AM   #7

The Canon 450D has a better autofocus system than the superzooms, and will do better at higher ISO settings for indoor shots of your new baby without a flash. Plus the 450D has a good selection of large aperture lenses that will give you an even bigger advantage shooting indoors, not just of your baby but also for indoor sports, should the occasion arise.
Old May 12, 2009, 9:54 AM   #8

Quote:
For an entry level dSLR, the Canon XSi has a very good autofocus system for sports/action/wildelife.

My daughter-in-law has the XTi (400D). She wanted a telephoto lens to use for our grandson's T-Ball games. I suggested these:

Tamron Zoom Normal-Telephoto AF 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Di-II LD Autofocus Lens ($170 - $40 rebate if you buy before September.

Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD 1:2 Auto Focus Macro Zoom Lens ($170)

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Autofocus Lens ($255)

The Canon is stabilized, but that's not much of a problem with action shots.

If your budget extends beyond these, there are better choices, but they'll be a lot more expensive.
Thanks again for the lens info TCav

Im looking at them at the moment. Which do you think is the best all rounder out of the above - the Canon ?

Am I gong to need to splash out on a dedicated Macro lens?

Whats the next step up from the lenses above which is worth the jump in ?

Quote:
The Canon 450D has a better autofocus system than the superzooms, and will do better at higher ISO settings for indoor shots of your new baby without a flash. Plus the 450D has a good selection of large aperture lenses that will give you an even bigger advantage shooting indoors, not just of your baby but also for indoor sports, should the occasion arise.
There will be quite alot of indoor shots.
The Canon just seems a good all rounder and although slightly more pricey than the 1000D/Rebel XS it seems to have more functions that make the extra worthwhile.
Old May 12, 2009, 12:04 PM   #9

[QUOTE=peterpiker;968214]Im looking at them at the moment. Which do you think is the best all rounder out of the above - the Canon ?

Am I gong to need to splash out on a dedicated Macro lens?

Whats the next step up from the lenses above which is worth the jump in ?
QUOTE]

For general action shots, the Tamron 55-200 is hard to beat, especially at that price. But for organized outdoor sports (football, etc.) the 70-300 would probably be a better range, and it's a 1:2 macro lens as well.

As for the next step up, there's the Tamron 70-200/2.8 and Sigma 50-150/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 that aren't long enough for outdoor sports, but might work for indoor sports (basketball, volleyball) with the 450D's high ISO performance.

There's also the Canon 70-300 IS USM that's also very good, though not for indoors.
Old May 12, 2009, 2:47 PM   #10

Peter-

There is no doubt that if IQ is primary and you are going to be shooting a lot in low light level conditions, that the DSLR camera is the better choice because it has a much larger size imager, that will produce less noise.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote