Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 7, 2009, 11:44 PM   #1

Default Airmiles Camera's

I have 3105 Air Miles to spend. I've decided to spend them on a new camera.
I have gone through some reviews online including on this site. I could really use some help with this decision.

If anyone has some time, please go over to this link and check out the camera's available for the points I have. Tell me which one I should get and why please. Thanks.

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/Reward...ryId=cat680130
Heffty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2009, 1:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffty View Post
I have 3105 Air Miles to spend. I've decided to spend them on a new camera.
I have gone through some reviews online including on this site. I could really use some help with this decision.

If anyone has some time, please go over to this link and check out the camera's available for the points I have. Tell me which one I should get and why please. Thanks.

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/Reward...ryId=cat680130
What are you going to use the camera for?

Yes, I know, taking pictures. Seriously, what kinds of pictures? Family and Friends, landscapes, sporting events and if so what kind of sporting events and your location relative to the action, macro (flowers and bugs), young children, dogs playing in your living room, animals in a zoo, animals in the wild, birds, large birds, small birds?

Every camera will take pictures. Most will take pictures of everything I listed, though some will do much better than others at specific things.

Where are you going to store the camera? Your shirt pocket? Pants Pocket? Purse? Automobile Glove Box?

Do you have a camera now? Are you happy with it, see limitations or flaws?

Do you like/need a physically larger camera (I got big thumbs, I like big bodied cameras over little dinky cameras) ?

Do you have a preference of a battery type? Memory storage type?

IF I was picking out a camera, any camera, no information about you type camera, AND I was restricted to using your point total, I would grab:

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/Reward...tId=prod643961

The Canon SX110is

Here is the review at Steve's:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_...non_sx110.html

Key features
10x zoom (36-360mm equiv) with Optical stabilzation
Macro under 1"
3" LCD Display.
Program modes including Manual operation.
Used two AA batteries.

Why pick the Canon over the other cameras? Because I like the Canon P&S (I also like the Panasonic P&S, but you can't airmile afford the Pannys), the cameras are always solid performers (if not worthy of being best in class) and havea good reliability rating.

The SX 110is offers a wide range of features and will produce consistently good pictures without needing a degree in rocket science to figure out to use the camera, and if you do grow in your camera needs the camera will grow with you and eventually serve as your backup camera.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 10:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply.

The order of pictures that I take the most would be as follows, 1 being the most 5 being the least.

1) Pictures when I am hiking in the back country of the Rocky Mountains.
2) Close up pictures of flowers I see and fish I catch
3) Pictures of friends and myself in the mountains outdoors
4) Pictures of friends and family indoors
5) Pictures at sporting events both indoor (hockey) and outdoor (football)

I may do some traveling in the next few years and would take this camera with me for pictures of people both indoor and outdoor, and landscapes.

I also like taking videos of my friends catching fish or riding and taking jumps on mountain bikes.

I will be storing the camera in the top of my back country backpack or in a small pouch.

I do not need a physically large camera.

I would prefer lithium rechargable but I have my own rechargeable ni-cad AA batteries I can use in the camera. I have a few 1G SD cards but these storage cards aren't out of my price range at this point so I wouldn't mind buying another.

I was also thinking of the camera you mentioned. It was kind of between that one and the SD960IS. Not sure what to do.
Old May 9, 2009, 12:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply.

The order of pictures that I take the most would be as follows, 1 being the most 5 being the least.

1) Pictures when I am hiking in the back country of the Rocky Mountains.
2) Close up pictures of flowers I see and fish I catch
3) Pictures of friends and myself in the mountains outdoors
4) Pictures of friends and family indoors
5) Pictures at sporting events both indoor (hockey) and outdoor (football)

I may do some traveling in the next few years and would take this camera with me for pictures of people both indoor and outdoor, and landscapes.

I also like taking videos of my friends catching fish or riding and taking jumps on mountain bikes.

I will be storing the camera in the top of my back country backpack or in a small pouch.

I do not need a physically large camera.

I would prefer lithium rechargable but I have my own rechargeable ni-cad AA batteries I can use in the camera. I have a few 1G SD cards but these storage cards aren't out of my price range at this point so I wouldn't mind buying another.

I was also thinking of the camera you mentioned. It was kind of between that one and the SD960IS. Not sure what to do.
Even though the SD960is has a wider angle lens over the SX110is (28 versus 36) and wider is ALWAYS better (especially for landscapes, indoors etc and 28 is A LOT wider than 36), the shorter range zoom is a serious drawback to the camera over the SX110is.

BUT the SD960 is lighter, uses the lithium rechargeable batteries, the flash is slightly more powerful (greater rnage), shoots slightly larger size video and has more megapixels which might be slightly useful for cropping.

Thus, on paper, the SD960is is technically a better camera than the SX110is.

However, there is that short range lens issue which is going to work against you shooting mountains at the distance, sports etc. PLus I really don't like the size/shape of the SD, (you also need to remember I don't like dinky cameras). In addition the SX has greater user controls than the point&shoot style of the SD and in a pinch the SX can use off the shelf batteries when roughing it in the Rockies.

Your call. You can't go wrong with either camera.
Old May 10, 2009, 11:53 AM   #5

I suppose I have one last option. There are always weekly deals at safeway where I buy $60 worth of groceries and get 100 airmiles. Or buy 4 breads (or multiples of some other item) and get 50 airmiles. If I was diligent about it over the next month, I could probably get another 400 airmiles pretty easily just by getting my groceries. Then I could have my camera buy mid June.

If that was the case, I could try and get
https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/RewardsProductDetails?productId=prod643969

Is it worth my time and money (not as big a deal cause I'd be buying groceries anyway) to attempt this? Or could I just be happy with the canon you are recommending?
Old May 11, 2009, 2:13 AM   #6

Quote:
I suppose I have one last option. There are always weekly deals at safeway where I buy $60 worth of groceries and get 100 airmiles. Or buy 4 breads (or multiples of some other item) and get 50 airmiles. If I was diligent about it over the next month, I could probably get another 400 airmiles pretty easily just by getting my groceries. Then I could have my camera buy mid June.

If that was the case, I could try and get
https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/RewardsProductDetails?productId=prod643969

Is it worth my time and money (not as big a deal cause I'd be buying groceries anyway) to attempt this? Or could I just be happy with the canon you are recommending?

The Panny ZS1 is a heck of a camera. The wide to long zoom lens is quite versatile and very desirable. Decent flash. Reasonably lightweight design. Lacks manual controls, but I don't think that is going to be an issue with you.

While I like Canon, I like Pananasonic even better. The ZS1 is the reason why. I have been recommending the camera and the earlier versions of the camera to family and friends.

I say, if you can swing it, grap the Panasonic. If you can't, then chose one of the Canons.
Old May 12, 2009, 8:34 PM   #7

Thanks for all your help!
Old May 20, 2009, 12:01 AM   #8

I've come across another issue. A friend of mine who I do considerable backpacking in the mountains with has brought a feature to my attention that his camera has. He owns an Olympus Stylus 750 camera that is weatherproof/splashproof/shockproof. He reminded me of a time we were fishing and he dropped his camera in the water. It sunk about a foot and still worked afterwards! Lucky...perhaps. This is however something I am now thinking about. While I will most likely not drop my camera in the water (knocking on wood) I likely will experience rain, some moisture, and bumpy roads while mountain biking. At one point I had a cheaper model canon that crapped out on me because I had it in a cheap case in a case while doing some fairly strenuous mountain biking. I didn't crash on it or anything...but it got really blurry after that and I was never able to use it again. I'm now worried about the panasonic or the canons we have been discussing in here because non of them are shock/splash/or weatherproof by any means.

It turns out none of the new Stylus camera's provide this weatherproof feature aside from the Stylus Tough lineup. Unfortunately the tough line up does not have decent optical zoom and for all I know it may not take good pictures. There is one Olympus Stylus Tough camera on the airmiles rewards options.

I was pretty set on getting the panasonic and just buying a very good case for it...and hopefully I wouldn't drop it in the water or get it wet if it starts to rain outside. I have seen quite a few older model 830's and 840's on ebay, some new ones going for around $100-150. This may be a better option for me than spending all my airmiles. I'm not sure. I'd just hate to get this really sweet panny camera and have it bust because it was jolted in my backpack while mountain biking...or stop working because some rain or something got on it.

All in all, I'd like to know how superior the panny is to these olympus's...if at all. And I'd like to know opinions on as to if the trade off of picture quality is worth the weatherproof feature. Again...I would be looking at comparing the panny to the Olympus Stylus 830 or 840.

My friend has a website that has many pictures taken from this camera. Many of these trips I have gone on with him. If seeing some of these pictures would help a decision...you can go to www.outdooralberta.com.

Thanks

Last edited by Heffty; May 20, 2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old May 20, 2009, 12:50 AM   #9

Used cameras, especially from an unknown source, is a major mistake.

Forget the ebay reputations with regard to a used camera. Same thing with buying a used camera from any storefront camera store.

(but if your Aunt Hilda wants to give you her camera then by all means take the free camera).

Olympus P&S cameras don't seem to be highly regarded as the Panasonic, Canon and Sony comparable P&S cameras. Not that they are bad, just that they offer a different feature set that is not as well received. For example a more basic lens and the watertight case versus a bigger lens and less robust case from one of the other companies. Bottom line everything is a compromise.

Are the Panasonic cameras durable? Sure, up to a point. Won't take a 3' fall unto concrete. Then again, no matter how tough the Olympus camera might be designed the camera will have a limit in impact etc.

BTW, I just had to buy a new camera body. My dslr (in a camera bag) broke when it hit the floor from a 3' drop. Terminal damage. Yet a few weekends ago I had the new camera body and my most expensive lens outside in a light rain without extra protection.

What is my point? We can live paranoid about rain, water, impacts etc. Or we can take pictures and have fun. Having fun seems more enjoyable.
Old May 20, 2009, 6:16 PM   #10

In the end I'd rather have a camera I know will take quality pictures. There are reviews that say the panny is top quality and also you are recommending it. I don't know about the Olympus cameras. From what my friend has taken they seem ok. But he takes a ton of pictures and I'm not sure what percentage of them he keeps. Bottom line, if I knew more about the Olympus camera's quality of picture taking, I might be tempted.

I've been saving my airmiles for that panny. Only need 124 more airmiles to get it.