Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 24, 2009, 12:24 PM   #41

Tullio-

I really appreciate and applaud the point of view that you have injected into this thread. We have very much seen a "homogenation" of entry level DSLR cameras and digicams, in an effort to get more people who are considering a possible upgrade to their bridge or superzoom digital camera over to the DSLR fold.

However, in using that market approach, the entry level DSLR from many camera manufacturers has become just want you call it, a "digicam-deluxe." To get a critical photograhic tool, serious hobbists have to now move up a quality step in the DSLR food chain, to DSLR cameras such as the Olympus E-620, the Nikon D-90, the Pentax K-20, or the Canon T-1.

As much as I personally like Sony, the A-200 is a very stripped down camera. Given the choice, I would very opt for spending more and getting a better camera such as the Olympus E-620.

Perhaps the problem is that the DSLR market is in a state of flux. It is maturing and finding it way. But, the bottom line is that the beginner level DSLR cameras are indeed loosing their identity as a serious photographic tool.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 3:53 PM   #42

Regarding the comparison of LX3, G10 and XSi - static sunlit "general" scene - nothing to compare, almost any half-decent P&S and any DSLR can deliver goods with this kind of subject. Most likely that the owner will be happier with a punchier results of a p&s straight out of the camera with little or no post processing. Even a 3MP camera built into my Nokia can take a reasonable quality pic in this conditions, it even has a Carl Zeiss Tessar lens . But step up to ISO400 and above and you will see the loss of details, increased noise, shifted colours and very agressive noise reduction in almost all p&s.
I haven't seen any scientific checks of the dynamic range of p&s cameras, but most modern DSLRs have on average an 8-9 stops DR going up to 11+ stops in several models. If size and weight of a camera aren't of paramount importance, any or almost any DSLR will run circles around the most advanced small sensor compact camera in less than good shooting conditions. AF and tracking speed, DR, OVF vs. EVF, frame rate and buffer depth, low light/high ISO performance, battery life, shutter lag, DOF control etc. etc. But as it was mentioned already all this comes at a higher price and you do need to invest even more in good glass if you want to see good results.
Every camera has its place and only the end user can decide what fits her/his style, requirements and budget. There are times when you have a great fun and great photos with a cheap p&s and there are times when only $30K+ worth of camera and pro grade glass can make the job done. This is the beauty of photography - we have choices, but there is no ideal camera so far, everything is a compromise
Guys and gals, life is too short, get out with whatever you have and take some pics and have some fun doing it
cheers,
Alex

algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 10:13 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
...But, the bottom line is that the beginner level DSLR cameras are indeed loosing their identity as a serious photographic tool.

Sarah Joyce
I could not agree more, Sarah. The most aggravating thing is to see manufacturers such as Sony selling their entry level DSLRs in a kit format only. They are forcing on us their mediocre kit lenses. One might want to buy an A200 as a spare body or upgrade to a DSLR investing on lenses (which can then be used on any body - as long as they remain compatible), rather than body. So, the message is clear. Entry level DSLRs are being seen as a P&S with a removable lens and larger sensor. One can conclude by the various opinions expressed on this thread that indeed, a DSLR with kit lens can (and will in certain conditions) produce worse images than a high end P&S. Manufactures will only switch gears if they see people opting for a good P&S rather than an entry level DSLR.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 11:19 AM   #44

I sincerely believe that I like Alex's approach the best. Choose the camera that works best for you in your own shooting situations.

Then, get out there and have some fun with your camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 25, 2009, 11:27 AM   #45

I think one important thing to consider is individual preferences in quality and the satisfaction derived.
Some of you folks do this for a living or at least a supliment to your income. This is a completely different arena.
Some of us do this strictly as a hobby (That would be me) and really have no way to measure Image quality other than what pleases us.
I know that I am for the most part very pleased with the performance of my Sony A-700 with the SAL18-250mm lens for Soccer, Swim meets, and outdoor events like car shows.
I would say that if you are able to capture what your interested in with the camera you have and are satisfied with the results, you are all set. A lot of people out there do this with a camera phone.
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 9:54 PM   #46

I appreciate the insight mtclimber and you made me reconsider. I am either going with the Canon T1 or the Pentax K20D. I just have to decide now which body to go with. Have heard great things about the K20D however have not heard to much about the T1. I plan to make up my mind and hopefully make my purchase by mid-week.
zoofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 10:14 PM   #47

zoofan-

Many of us face the very same decision. Please share with us your decision process as you sort through the various DSLR choices.

It sounds as if you are going beyond the consumer, or beginning level of DSLR camera. That makes your decision even more important. Please keep us in the loop as you make your desision. Thanks a lot!

Sarah Joyce
Old May 26, 2009, 10:44 PM   #48

I am thinking of buying the Pentax K20 hope someone could recommend a good lens set up so far looking at the Tamron 70-300 lens. I also would like something for family pics as well. Any recommendations? Would the body plus the lens above be a good starting point?

Thanks
Old May 27, 2009, 7:44 AM   #49

Good Morning Zoo, I have been reading the thread with interest. I recently upgraded from a Pentax K100 to the K20, and its a wonderful camera. Currently with the new Pentax K7 announced, the pricing on the K20 is excellent. Now over the last 4 years I have been acquiring Pentax lenses slowly - about one a year, based on where my interests lay (wide angle). By the way, Pentax offers an excellent kit lens (18-55 ver II for the K20 as it supports the higher resolution). In the 70-300 range, you have already received wonderful advice in terms of third party lenses, which would all work well on the K20. I would only add that Pentax has a 55-300 that is very good - I have it and like it, however there are ongoing debates as to which is better. Each has there own strengths and weaknesses. Personally (and you probably do not want to hear this), I would get the K20 body and kit lens, and use that for a couple of months. Yes, it takes the fun out of swapping lenses, but you are going to have a learning curve on the body, and I would get that down first, as it greatly simplifies things. While you are doing that, spend a bit more time looking at the options and going back on this thread looking at the lens selections.

I would also invite you down to the Pentax SLR forum, and there is also a Pentax Lens forum. The folks are very friendly and extremely knowledgable - although you have pretty much spun up the experts on the board already.

Also, you are going to have numerous opportuities to spend lots of money - and then there is LBA - Lens Buying Addiction.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 9:51 PM   #50

I have not made my purchase yet am really torn between the Pentax K20 and the Canon EOS 40D. Any suggestions on which way to go?