Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 5, 2009, 2:57 AM   #51

Evening Zoo, This is not what you are really expecting, but you probably have your answer already, in that its your decision - since you are going to be using the camera. First, you really can not make a bad decision - both are fine camera systems. Note I said systems, especially if you plan to keep it for a while and add to it in terms of lenses.

If you have not already, find where you can hold both cameras, and find what you like and dislike about each. Maybe even take a SD card with you and take some photos in the store, so that you can take them home and look at them. Look into the lenses that you may want to acquire in the future. See if they are available for each body.

hope that helps....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 8:43 AM   #52

Just to add on to what Interested Observer said: I seem to have lost what subject matter you plan on shooting. That could lead to one camera having a better feature set match to your specific needs - or rule out any advantage of one over the other.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 8:51 PM   #53

I plan to shoot family pics, landscape, wildlife and the airshows. The wildlife primarily will be at local zoos. However do plan to take some trips so want a camera that can handle most things. I have no preference per say on brand except not to high on Olympias cameras. Not that they are bad just prefer the other brands over them.
zoofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:08 AM   #54

Panasonic FZ-18 and canon 300-700 IS USM are better.Nikon D3 is an ideal
camera but bit expensive also...
Old Jun 6, 2009, 8:46 PM   #55

I have a FZ-18 while its a great camera it will not do what I want it to do. I was really disappointed with my FZ-18 and TZ-5 when it comes to low light. I want a camera that is able to take pictures in low light as well as being able to upgrade down the road. I plan to keep my superzoom and point and shoot while they do have their place in photography.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 8:40 AM   #56

zoofan, let me first say, that you have received some excellent advice throughout this discussion thread, and I won't waste space repeating a lot of it, but will confine my comments to your questions regarding the Pentax K20d. I own both the K10d and the K20d, and both are excellent cameras.

The only serious limitation I have seen with both is in terms of focusing speed and accuracy in low-light, non-flash situations. Pentax has lagged behind in AF development, a problem many of us are hoping they have fixed with the new K-7.

The 18-55mm kit lens on the Pentax is a cut above the kit lenses bundled by most manufacturers, and most Pentax shooters continue to use this lens extensively, even after building a collection of high-end glass. Were I starting from scratch with a Pentax system, I would probably use the kit lens as a base, add either the Tamron 70-300mm Di LD Macro f/4.0-5.6 ($170) or the Pentax 55-300 ($340), neither of which is a high-dollars lens, and the Pentax FA 50mm f 1.4 ($250). Prices quoted are current prices at Adorama; you may be able to find slightly lower prices at other reputable companies.

This gives you a range of decent glass ranging from 18-300mm on which to learn your techniques and to enable you to focus your needs for later lens acquisition, and still keeps you in the $ 12-hundred dollar range you mentioned earlier. The FA 50mm gives you an excellent low-light lens for indoor use, and is one I just about would not be without (in fact, when I had a group of lenses stolen, it was the first I replaced). The Tamron lens is a good lens for daylight photography, and I have taken some very good zoo shots with it. I now primarily use the longer Sigma lens for that purpose, but it is a significant investment. I have not used the Pentax 55-300, but I have seen some excellent photos taken with it.

As your shooting preferences develop, you may find yourself looking at more specialized lenses, such as the Sigma 50-500mm for wildlife, or one of the 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses if you're going to shoot sports under the lights.

Good luck. Whichever way you go, you're going to come out well.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:25 AM   #57

Default Made my decision

I decided last night to go with the Pentax K20. I went through BH and they did not have the Pentax with the kit lens, I wanted however I did order the 28-80 Tamron and 70-300 Tamron Kit. I also purchased the Pentax 50mm lens for my low light shots as well as a spare battery. I plan to shoot with these lenses and figure out from there what additional lenses I may need to add if any. I may add the Pentax 18-55 kit lens a little later as its a good price of $150.

I want to thank everyone on here for taking the time and the advice here on the forums. I look forward to getting my camera and starting to share my photos with everyone. Again thanks everyone.

zoofan
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:42 AM   #58

Default Which camera should I buy?

AS one person said, going to a DSLR is a long term investment and soon you will have to have this lens, then this accessory and before you know it, you will have a large amount of money invested. I am a retired professional, back in my film days, you had no choice but to have a SLR with many lenses. With the introduction of the Superzooms like the FZ-28, you have the best of both worlds, the lenses you can make do with and noting else to buy except for a external flash. I own the FZ-30, it is in my opinion the best superzoom ever made, it is a Professional size camera that is well balanced, fits you hands like a glove and you are not cramped as with these smallish superzooms they have now. I have decided not to go the DSLR route, because I am just not going to carry around a bunch of lenses and equipment anymore. I get great pics with my FZ-30 that rival many of my friends DSLR's. If you have a good camera, and you do, the true bug in photography is your own eye for the picture. It is you that takes the picture, use all the features of your camera to get the results you want and you will be totally happy with your pictures. I have seen so many people get the so called "camera bug" go out and purchase a lot of expensive equipment only to take pictures that just did not turn out the way they wanted them to. Keep what you have!
bear740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 1:16 PM   #59

About my luck they got the Pentax, with the lens I wanted on the web site this morning. Oh well I can get the other lens if I need it after getting the K20D with the lenes I did choose and doing some shooting.

zoofan
Old Jun 9, 2009, 1:48 PM   #60

Default Pentax kit lens

Go here for the Pentax kit lens at a very reasonable price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Pentax-SMC-D...lenotsupported
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote