Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 12, 2009, 7:30 AM   #1

Default Camera for trip

Hi all,

I'm going on a trip to Europe later this year and need a compact camera to take with me. It's been recommended to me to choose one from the Canon line of cameras as they are one of the better brands.

I've narrowed it down to the Canon SD 780 (for the actual size of the camera) and SD 960 (for the larger screen). The reviews for both these cameras are fairly positive but I was wondering if anyone had any other opinions on them or could recommend anything else (either Canon or otherwise).

Also the buttons on the back of the Sd960 look a bit 'cheap' (could just be me), is the build of this camera durable? Is the size difference noticeable compared to the SD 780 (i.e will it still fit easily into my pocket)?

Thanks
tag86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2009, 9:05 AM   #2

If I were choosing between those two I would go with the 960. It is slightly larger but lighter. Either will fit in your pocket. The extra zoom range and especially the wide angle would be more appropriate for a trip IMO. I haven’t read of physical weaknesses in Canon cameras. Sometimes lightness seems flimsy when it isn’t.
960: 3.9 X 2.1 X 0.9 inches 5.1 oz
780: 3.4 X 2.2 X 0.7 inches 5.6 oz
If I were getting a sub-compact for a trip to Europe I would probably get the Panasonic FX37. It is a little smaller than the Canon 960 and the same weight. You probably give up a little image quality to get the 5X zoom, but the 25mm wide angle will give you shots no other pocket camera will give. You might look at it: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408slimgroup/page8.asp
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 9:18 AM   #3

Also make sure you have plenty of memory card space and a charger for the batteries that will work in Europe and carry spare batteries so you never run out. I would look at getting 2x 4GB or 2x 8GB cards depending on your shooting habits.

My brother was in Europe last month for business for a week and he used his A560 Cannon (I thinks its an A560) with a 3x zoom and 2GB SD card. He told me when he got back he wishes he would have had a 6x zoom. He told me he took close to 800 images on his card all week (some for work, some not). He is normally not a high volume shooter but Europe seems to be the exception so be warned you may take a lot more pictures than you think on this trip.

One last thing check with your airline to see how many batteries you can carry with you (some only allow 1 or 2 extra and they have to be in cases ... see TSA.gov for more info). I heard a store a few weeks back where a guy was going to Africa for 2 weeks and they stopped him in security and told him he had too many batteries and took some of them from him.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 9:45 AM   #4

I had - or rather my son now has my old Canon SD500. Its a good little camera, especially - the size. Fits in to a pocket, go anywhere, and do most things. I would make a couple of suggestions:

1. Learn how to take stitch photos, so that when you are in Europe, you are able to do it and have them turn out (practice at home first). You will wind up taking more images, so depending if you are bringing a laptop for storage, you might want to increase the number of SD cards (8GB from newegg.com - they are cheap). If you take panoramas of 3 images, your image count will go up by a factor of at least 3. The camera comes with the software on CD that lets you stitch them together making the panorama pictures.

2. If you plan to take videos then take along some additional SD cards - beyond the count above, since videos take a lot of room.

3. As already said, batteries, 1 in the camera, 2 for the pocket (they are small), 1 being recharged back in the room. This way you will not run out of power.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 10:39 PM   #5

Thanks for the tips. I've already got an 8GB Sd card but I might consider getting a second battery.
Regarding the cameras I mentioned, is anyone in a position to get a side by side photo of the two cameras for size comparison as the big screen of the 960 makes the actual camera look a lot bigger?

Thanks for the help
Old May 13, 2009, 12:13 AM   #6

Here is a comparison of the two....

used google with Canon SD 780 SD 960 comparison

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewe...%253D10,00.asp
Old May 14, 2009, 3:16 AM   #7

Sorry I meant a comparison of the actual camera bodies next to each other not the photos they take.
Old May 14, 2009, 7:13 AM   #8

Get 16GB cards in case you take video.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009, 9:45 AM   #9

I accidentally pushed submit, when I tired to post the next link showing them side by side, then I could not get back in via edit or posting to fix it.......

so....

here is the other link...

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2009/02/18/...hd-video-hdmi/
Old May 14, 2009, 11:05 AM   #10

Those images aren’t to scale – at least not on my monitor. They are scaled so the length is about the same, which makes the 780 look larger by comparison.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote