Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 14, 2009, 3:23 AM   #1

Default Needing guidance! Which model should I buy?

Hi people!
Well, I'm new like I said on my presentation!
I'm Jorge from Argentina and I'm trying to learn about wich camera should I look for.

First of all I'll explain to you my purpose of my cam. I'm a complete noob in this field but I really do like the photography. I'm honest and I can tell without a shame that I don't know nothing. But I'm also interested in this like a cool hobbie and maybe if I don't suck in this try to sign in a course of photography.

Well, since I'm trying to learn I would like to buy a camera semi-pro that can help me out being my first cam.

I'd read the reviews of all this models but I want the opinion of you people as guidance for me to decide which one should I look for.

- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H50
- Canon Powershot SX10 IS
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28
- Nikon
Coolpix P80

All this cameras are relatively in the same price. Here these cameras are around the u$s340 up to u$s450 so that's the price that I may handle.

Well people, I hope you can help me out with this! I'd be most appreciate.

XinsaneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2009, 9:41 AM   #2
Administrator

The models you're looking at are all very popular within their market niche, and it would be hard for me to choose between them. Depending on how you want to use a camera, I'd keep differences in areas like video features and the ability to use a hot shoe attached flash in mind (for example, the Canon has a hot shoe and the Panasonic doesn't).

Hopefully, some of our members that are more familiar with these models will chime in with their opinions on some of their pros and cons.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009, 12:07 PM   #3

Thanx for the response!

Well, like I said, because I recently discovered that I really enjoy taking pictures and I'd always liked the idea of taking a photography course (my english is a little rusty and I don't know if it's correct saying that in this way). Well since I'd always liked that idea I was thinking this year about buying a camera that can help me to start practicing like a hobbie and then, If I do like and get good results, maybe trying to take another step.
That's why my idea is to go for a semi-pro like this super-zoom cameras like my "first step" for learning how to use them and how to look for the pictures (seeing of I have the eye or if I don't).

So, I don't think that I'd be using an external flash. It's not a bad idea but I don't think I would. Or no right now I think.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:16 PM   #4

XinsaneX-

I shoot with a lot of superzoom cameras. Of the cameras that you have selected, the Sony H-50 is IMO the best choice. If cost is an issue, take a look at the Kodak Z-1012 camera that has just been reduced in price (here in the USA) to $(US) 199.95.

The Z-1012 while being an excellent buy, is still a very good superzoom camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009, 12:50 PM   #5

Well, thanks for the help people!

Sarah, that Kodak it's a little hard to find here I'd noticed cause I'd just searched for it and not one shop has it.

About the cost, well, the prices here in my country are a little rare. Some items are cost much and other are fair... I'm thinking that I'd be fine spending around u$s500 if I can adjust in some other tings.

Here is a list of models and prices. I'd be appreciate if you can say to me which one would be better in performance~price relation.

- Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 U$S 370
- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H50 U$S 390
- Nikon D60 U$S 690
- Nikon Coolpix P90 U$S 480

Like you, the camera that most of the persons that I'd talked recommended was the Sony DSC-H50.

I'd just recieved these prices so I see that the Nikon Coolpix P90 it's a little expensive but I'd been told that this camera it's really great. Don't know if I can buy that for sure but that is another good choice, isn't it?

Old May 14, 2009, 1:36 PM   #6

XinsaneX-

I own the Nikon P-80 and yes it is a wonderful camera for outdoor photos. But as soon as the ISO setting is increased, noise becomes visible in the photos. So, for what it might be worth, I would not recommend the Nikon P-80 camera, based on its lesser image quality.

Both the Panasonic FZ-28 and the Sony H-50 (I own both) are excellent cameras. I do still lean toward the H-50 in the final analysis. And just one more note. A digital camera course would be very helpful.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009, 4:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
XinsaneX-

I own the Nikon P-80 and yes it is a wonderful camera for outdoor photos. But as soon as the ISO setting is increased, noise becomes visible in the photos. So, for what it might be worth, I would not recommend the Nikon P-80 camera, based on its lesser image quality.

Both the Panasonic FZ-28 and the Sony H-50 (I own both) are excellent cameras. I do still lean toward the H-50 in the final analysis. And just one more note. A digital camera course would be very helpful.

Sarah Joyce
Well! Another point for the Sony DSC-H50. This is about the 4th or the 7th person that pick up this one!

I think I might have a winner!