Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 20, 2009, 7:41 AM   #1

Default which cam???

i have finally shortlisted two cams according to my requirements

one is cannon ixus 80 is or 85 is

and sony's w 210

which is a better cam and which one should i buy
and how does mega pixel matter. and what is the difference between 3x and 4x optical zoom
can somebody give a difference between the above mentioned camersa in terms of picture quality and features.
zade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2009, 2:02 PM   #2

In my view the Canon IXUS 85 IS has a very slight edge for detailed photos. Which will really show up only for enlargements, no difference with smaller snapshots. All three cameras are decent choices. Get to a store to check out their controls for youself. The exact configuration of the buttons and menu choices are different between Canon and Sony (IXUS 80 and 85 are nearly identical in this regard). You may find that one control setup works better for you over the other. 3X zoom vs 4X is not a big deal for me. Again, just a personal call.

Kelly Cook
KCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 1:37 PM   #3

i went to the store today , the sony w 210 has a sony lens and not the carl zeis lens , does this effects on picture quality in any way.
and also about cannon ixus 80 , it does not have wide angle lens
now how does this affect the picture.
Old May 21, 2009, 3:19 PM   #4

Zade-

The fact that a Sony lens is used in place of a Carl Zeiss IMO does not make a difference. My Sony H-1 and H-2 cameras used Sony lenses and they were really excellent, very sharp lenses.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 7:23 PM   #5

As I tried to indicate in my other post, the lens quality won't make any difference for small snapshots. Only when you are super fussy about enlargements.

The IXUS does have a wide angle for its zoom, just not so wide as is now touted as a feature for other cameras. The extra wide angle is most useful for shooting large buildings, both inside and out. If such buildings are not a key subject for you, then you may get along without an extra wide angle zoom. I had all sorts of wide angle lenses for my 35mm SLRs, didn't need them very often.

Kelly
Old May 22, 2009, 7:05 AM   #6

okee

so finally which cam should i go for
the sony w210 or the cannon ixus 80is
the thing is sony is just 1/10th more expensive of the price of cannon ixus 80
( i know i m sounding like a big miser)
and sony 210 gives me 12 mega pixel 4x optical zoom and features like anti shake
whereas cannon gives me 8x mega pixel and 3x op zoom,
so should i go in for cannon or sony or they are both the same and i should go with anyone of them . and one more thing which of these two cams i mentioned works better in low light.
Old May 22, 2009, 9:57 AM   #7

In a small camera, where you are not making huge prints, the difference between 8mp and 12mp would really not be discernible. If you did a lot of cropping of your photos you might see a very small difference. However 8mp is more than enough for a family camera.

Therefore, I would save the money and purchase the Canon.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 22, 2009, 10:36 AM   #8

I would agree with the Canon selection, but for a different reason - optical viewfinder.
Old May 22, 2009, 12:27 PM   #9

and what is optical view finder and how does it help in point to point shoot and can you tell me some feature comparison between both the cameras that is the cannon ixus 80 is and sony w 210.
Old May 22, 2009, 2:09 PM   #10

An optical viewfinder is a separate viewfinder that is a part of the camera body that allows you to frame (setup) your photo without having to depend on the camera's LCD screen on the back of the camera, which is difficult to see clearly in bright sunshine.

Sarah Joyce