Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 27, 2009, 5:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayStar86 View Post
thanks for the great advice everyone.... Now im starting to think I should just make do with my old Xti and not even bother buying the T1i for the time being...... what you guys say to that?

You didn't mention you had a reasonably decent camera in your original post.

Gosh darn, use the exisiting camera until the day it dies or until there is something on the market that is such a huge upgrade that your camera is lightyears out of date.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 1:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I would hold onto the money of the new body for now and put it towards some better glass and/or a flash as these could really help you. However I wouldn't splash out until you know what you are really going to benefit from.

The XTi has all the features/control that you will require in a photo course and it will never go out of date. No camera will, but it will not be as modern as some others. It will always produce the results that it can now (which are great) so you need not worry. As mentioned adding better glass will make the most difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
I'm with Mark. Spend money only as you NEED to. But still save it up on an ongoing basis so it's there when you determine you have a need. To me, there's still great benefit in teaching using film SLRs. Learning how to get the shot right IN CAMERA is a critical part of becoming a good photographer. So as a student there is no reason in the world why any DSLR on the market shouldn't be good enough to get going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieDgpt View Post
You didn't mention you had a reasonably decent camera in your original post.

Gosh darn, use the exisiting camera until the day it dies or until there is something on the market that is such a huge upgrade that your camera is lightyears out of date.
sorry i didnt reply back earlier.... I read the thread and forgot to post back.... .but thanks for all your words of wisdom.... I have decided that its in my best interest to simply keep my Xti (I just wish it used a sd card instead of cf, oh well) and just buy new lens and maybe a couple years down the road when i graduate I can buy a newer body.... perhaps even the 5D Mark II..... again thanks a bunch for your help guys.... I have my portfolio interview/testing in a two weeks as my final step for admission into my program.... boy am I worried and exited!!!
JayStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 2:59 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayStar86 View Post
sorry i didnt reply back earlier.... I read the thread and forgot to post back.... .but thanks for all your words of wisdom.... I have decided that its in my best interest to simply keep my Xti (I just wish it used a sd card instead of cf, oh well) and just buy new lens and maybe a couple years down the road when i graduate I can buy a newer body.... perhaps even the 5D Mark II..... again thanks a bunch for your help guys.... I have my portfolio interview/testing in a two weeks as my final step for admission into my program.... boy am I worried and exited!!!
You're welcome. Feel free to share anything from your portfolio as I'm sure that a lot of us would like to see some of your work. Hope it all goes OK!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
You're welcome. Feel free to share anything from your portfolio as I'm sure that a lot of us would like to see some of your work. Hope it all goes OK!!
Well, not to bring back a thread back from the dead.... but I just had to.... because well I have more questions, some news and did I mention some questions, LOL!

First off, I am very happy to say that I have fully committed to becoming a photographer as my profession.... no matter how hard and shitty the circumstances may be in the beginning (money, job wise) .... and I say that because I have come to realize.... nothing is easy in life and I would rather do something I enjoy and love doing.... believe me I should know.... I did a 4.5 year BBA degree in human resource management and found out the hard way that it doesn't really mean shit... you still gotta work your way up from the bottom and not to mention that I hated what I did... so why not work my way up from the bottom as a photographer?

With that being said Im still a firm believer in education and school although I understand in photography it doesnt ensure success.... but it does give you the technical skills to work from and survive IMO.

As I had earlier said in this thread about interviewing and portfolio presentation for the program I wanted to get into.... I went through all of it and got in!!!!! Unfortunately due to my own circumstances I will not be starting the program until Sep 2010.... which Im sad about yet relieved to have some more time to get my ducks in a row before I go in the grueling 4 semesters of schooling.

So that was the news part, LOL.

Next is my question part.

Since I posted this thread I have come to realize that I would like a camera that is a lot higher levels then my current xti and even the t1i wont cut it.

My reasoning for this is that I have become accustomed to and really like shooting fast objects.... ie. sports, moving cars at the race track, highway, etc.

With that being said I was going to get the Canon 50D but with the recent development of the new Canon 7D and more money being at my disposal for a body that I can use for the next 3-4 years I am willing to fork out extra dough for the 7D... not to mention that video capabilities of it are just awesome!!!!!

However as much as I like to think i know stuff.... I still feel like I could use your wisdom in choosing between the 50D and the new 7D.

My usage for this camera will be for everything I shoot including 2 years of school and perhaps some pro work there after for 1 year or two.

I like shooting sports, automotive (still and moving), pets, architecture, street photography (especially at night time... think Las Vegas at night), and some studio modeling/full production stuff.

With that being said I have the money to spend on the new 7D over the 50D... but do you think its worth it granted my situaiton and the fact that i will be using this camera as my primary shooting device for probably the next 3 years.

and perhaps a mod can change the title of this thread, lol to choosing btwn. 50d and 7d.

Last edited by JayStar86; Sep 14, 2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:58 AM   #15

Jay,
Let me summarize your stated needs:
1) A kit for the photography program
2) You like to shoot sports but also studio
3) Preferably something that will last past the program into your pro career

First and foremost, find out what the shool requirements are for equipment. You'll want to be sure you have what they require rather than spending all your money on a camera body without thought to lenses or flashes or accessories. So do that FIRST. And I wouldn't necessarily go by what is printed in a guide or on their website. That's a place to start, but I would actually TALK to someone in administration or an instructor.

Now, armed with that knowledge you can price out minimum gear spend. Any remaining money needs to be allocated balancing future needs vs. hobby wants. This is especially critical since one of your hobbies will be sports shooting. I say that because sports shooting is difficult. It is VERY gear intensive. Kit lenses won't cut it. Different sports have different needs. There is no one-size-fits-all lens for sports shooting. At the same time, you mention studio work - a whole different list of lenses, flash,s strobes, reflectors, soft boxes, umbellas, tripods, etc., etc. etc.

In short, unless you have LOTS of free time and are independently wealthy, you're going to have to make some decisions on how you want to spend your money. Of all the things you listed you wanted to do, these two areas are the most equipment intensive. So you need to make a real commitment to them to get quality equipment.

Now, a 7d would look to be a big step up as a sports camera and even a studio camera - with 19 focus points and dual processors and reportedly improved focus. But without the right lenses for sports, that's useless. And the lighting equipment, backdrops, and lens will have MUCH more impact on your studio work than a 7d would.

I will also throw this out - there are almost ZERO paying full time jobs out there for photojournalists / full time sports shooters. It's not a matter of 'working your way up' - it's a matter of no jobs being out there. Lots of experienced shooters have been laid off and are out in the freelance market. And the industry is changing - going toward more user submitted content vs. paid content. So I would strongly recommend you not going into this program with the idea that you're going to work for a newspaper or sports publication upon graduation. With that in mind, I think spending money on gear for sports shooting is a luxury - not a necessity.

So, more important than 50d vs. 7d you need to figure out what type of photographer you want to be before you spend more than the minimum gear requirement for entry into the school. Spending more $$ than that now on gear for your hobby isn't a wise choice - unless, again, money is no object.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 1:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Jay,
Let me summarize your stated needs:
1) A kit for the photography program
2) You like to shoot sports but also studio
3) Preferably something that will last past the program into your pro career

First and foremost, find out what the shool requirements are for equipment. You'll want to be sure you have what they require rather than spending all your money on a camera body without thought to lenses or flashes or accessories. So do that FIRST. And I wouldn't necessarily go by what is printed in a guide or on their website. That's a place to start, but I would actually TALK to someone in administration or an instructor.

Now, armed with that knowledge you can price out minimum gear spend. Any remaining money needs to be allocated balancing future needs vs. hobby wants. This is especially critical since one of your hobbies will be sports shooting. I say that because sports shooting is difficult. It is VERY gear intensive. Kit lenses won't cut it. Different sports have different needs. There is no one-size-fits-all lens for sports shooting. At the same time, you mention studio work - a whole different list of lenses, flash,s strobes, reflectors, soft boxes, umbellas, tripods, etc., etc. etc.

In short, unless you have LOTS of free time and are independently wealthy, you're going to have to make some decisions on how you want to spend your money. Of all the things you listed you wanted to do, these two areas are the most equipment intensive. So you need to make a real commitment to them to get quality equipment.

Now, a 7d would look to be a big step up as a sports camera and even a studio camera - with 19 focus points and dual processors and reportedly improved focus. But without the right lenses for sports, that's useless. And the lighting equipment, backdrops, and lens will have MUCH more impact on your studio work than a 7d would.

I will also throw this out - there are almost ZERO paying full time jobs out there for photojournalists / full time sports shooters. It's not a matter of 'working your way up' - it's a matter of no jobs being out there. Lots of experienced shooters have been laid off and are out in the freelance market. And the industry is changing - going toward more user submitted content vs. paid content. So I would strongly recommend you not going into this program with the idea that you're going to work for a newspaper or sports publication upon graduation. With that in mind, I think spending money on gear for sports shooting is a luxury - not a necessity.

So, more important than 50d vs. 7d you need to figure out what type of photographer you want to be before you spend more than the minimum gear requirement for entry into the school. Spending more $$ than that now on gear for your hobby isn't a wise choice - unless, again, money is no object.
I have talked to someone and know exactly what the program gear and costs involved are. Second, I have no intention in looking for employment in sports photography... its simply a hobby for me. However I do intend on looking for emloyment in studio's, events, weddings, submissions, etc ( where the work is) .... My mindset is to do my own business in the long run. Putting aside where i intend on looking for employment after graduating I know exactly the costs involved so I am fully "in the know" and as you said and dont want to spend on my hobbies as much as I do on required needs.

With that being said I still want a camera that is a all around capable performer and capable of shooting moving objects. I plan on buying about 3-4 lenses on top of the kit lens for my various needs.

That still leaves with me a BIG choice to make... 50D or 7D.... I know the price gap is huge.... and although money is an object here.... I can pay up for the 7D as it is in my budget but as an economy class person its still nice to save some $$$ where I can for whatever... if you know what I mean.

I would hate to not maximize my purchase by not getting the 7D but at the same time I wouldnt mind saving the few $$$ if the 7D wont benefit me any much more than the 50D.... I know im being vague and " on the fence".... so thanks for helping me out!

Trust me when I say this... I know what Im getting into with the whole choosing photography as a career thing.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 1:12 PM   #17

So what 3-4 lenses are you looking at buying?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 1:56 PM   #18
Super Moderator

if the price difference between the 7d and the 50d causes you to choose a lower priced lens or get 3 instead of 4 lenses, then spend that money on the lens.

if the body you choose is independent of the "kit of lenses" and you plan to use it for a couple years when you start making a living. then you could reasonably justify going for the 7d over the 50d for its duel processors and 19pt autofocus.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 1:57 PM   #19
Super Moderator

also, for anyone in any similar situation, there is alot of good advice between mark and john in this post.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:28 PM   #20

Quote:
So what 3-4 lenses are you looking at buying?
LOL .... I feel like an idiot saying this but I hadn't decided yet at all... got any recommendations given my applications?.... im glad im typing this out... instead of just having things in my mind... i did have a few in my mind but would love to hear what 3-4 lens I should get for my applications as i have stated in my posts above.

Keep in mind camera will be 50d or 7d.