Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 5, 2009, 4:35 AM   #51

So I have FINALLY settled on getting the 7d folks. The body is decided. That leaves the lens.

I think I will tackle the 70-200mm debate between F2.8 or F4 later on next year after getting some more experience with the 17-50/55mm F2.8 lens.

The only questions is which 17-50/55mm lens to get? Tamron $400, Sigma $400 or Canon $1100!

The Canon does seem far superior but is the extra $600 justified?
JayStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2009, 10:34 AM   #52
Super Moderator

Yes, absolutely.

Get the Canon. It's the very best lens made covering that focal length for any crop camera.

You are about to buy an amazing camera, to put less than the best lens on it would be folly.

The Tamron is pretty much universally regarded as better than the Sigma, and the Canon has IS, slightly better sharpness, much faster and quieter AF system, and less distortion, though more CA. Check out slrgear.com for reviews of the two lenses.

Last edited by peripatetic; Oct 5, 2009 at 10:38 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2009, 1:07 PM   #53
Super Moderator

get the Canon glass. its worth it. its a much better build, much better AF. The optics are slightly better too.

if it ever comes down to camera body or glass. spend the money on the glass. the difference in resolving power between the current generation of dslrs. at least at the level of the xxd/xd is quite small, but the difference between glass is noticeable.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2009, 3:49 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Yes, absolutely.

Get the Canon. It's the very best lens made covering that focal length for any crop camera.

You are about to buy an amazing camera, to put less than the best lens on it would be folly.

The Tamron is pretty much universally regarded as better than the Sigma, and the Canon has IS, slightly better sharpness, much faster and quieter AF system, and less distortion, though more CA. Check out slrgear.com for reviews of the two lenses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
get the Canon glass. its worth it. its a much better build, much better AF. The optics are slightly better too.

if it ever comes down to camera body or glass. spend the money on the glass. the difference in resolving power between the current generation of dslrs. at least at the level of the xxd/xd is quite small, but the difference between glass is noticeable.

Its done then folks..... the first lens is decided on aswell.... im gunna get the Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS Lens along with the Canon 7D Body.

This leaves the debate between the Canon 70-200mm IS wether to go with F2.8 or F4.... I just cant see enough benefit for the F2.8 between the two lenses for my purposes and not to mention how much heavier the F2.8 is going to be over the F4.... but ill leave this decision for another day.

What I will need ASAP with the body and lens is a good Flash.... Canon 430EX or 580EX... it seems like the $150 or so for the 580EX is really worth it? what you guys say?
Old Oct 5, 2009, 4:13 PM   #55
Super Moderator

if you plan to do weddings, paid events. then yes, get the best/most powerful flash u can.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2009, 4:17 PM   #56

The 580 is more powerful, recharges quicker and allows for an external battery pack (VERY beneficial when doing event work). The 430 is plenty good enough for the at-home family type photography. So, yes, if you're going to do event work then the 580 is absolutely worth the extra money for the 3 reasons I stated.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2009, 4:17 PM   #57
Administrator

You may also want to look at the Metz 48 AF-1 and Metz 58 AF-1. The 58 AF-1 also includes non TTL auto modes that eliminate the need for a preflash (provided you stick to shutter speeds within the camera's x-sync speed limitations). Both models are E-TTL II compatible and support high speed sync (a.k.a., FP/Focal Plane shutter mode; a.k.a, HSS/High Speed Sync) and have USB upgradeable firmware.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2009, 5:09 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
if you plan to do weddings, paid events. then yes, get the best/most powerful flash u can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
The 580 is more powerful, recharges quicker and allows for an external battery pack (VERY beneficial when doing event work). The 430 is plenty good enough for the at-home family type photography. So, yes, if you're going to do event work then the 580 is absolutely worth the extra money for the 3 reasons I stated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
You may also want to look at the Metz 48 AF-1 and Metz 58 AF-1. The 58 AF-1 also includes non TTL auto modes that eliminate the need for a preflash (provided you stick to shutter speeds within the camera's x-sync speed limitations). Both models are E-TTL II compatible and support high speed sync (a.k.a., FP/Focal Plane shutter mode; a.k.a, HSS/High Speed Sync) and have USB upgradeable firmware.
thanks for the input fella's.... the Canon 580 it is then..... That Metz 58 AF-1 sure does have similar reviews to the Canon 580 its almost impossible to decide between them now! i do like how you can upgrade the firmware.... but the Canon seems superior in build quality and has longer flash capability and seems to outdo the Metz in user-friendliness it appears.... but that firmware update capability is something, huh?

I think an all Canon setup is the way to go just for the sake of not confusing myself, lol... unless someone thinks otherwise about the Metz.

thanks for everyones help so far!
Old Oct 5, 2009, 10:13 PM   #59

The main thing the Metz AF58 has going for it is two Flash heads. You get the main unit that is the equal of the Canon on top of the unit. You also get a smaller front facing Firing head for fill. In short you can bounce and fill at the same time. Its a pretty cool feature.

I can't really argue with my friends here about the Tamron vs. the Canon, they are really close, despite what has been said. And note too that recently a version of the Tamron with IS was introduced. Although IS only helps at slow shutter speeds where shake is an issue. One might as well have it all other things being equal optically.

If Money is not an issue it is easy to choose the Canon. Although note too that Tamron Lenses have a 6 year warranty. I think the main deciding factor between the two is that Canon might focus faster, certainly a little more quietly.

Truthfully with the Canon 7D it would be really interesting to put up many lenses against each other. Also of note is that AF assist beam from a Flash produces an amazing difference. Just a plug for having that flash on much of the time.

Also I know I am preaching to the converted but I believe there is such a leaps and bounds difference in focus accuracy and image quality with 7D that the usual just throw the money at the Lenses does not apply. You can have the best glass in the world but if your image keeper rate is much lower (from a technical; focus + lighting perspective) versus composition with a little luck thrown in your really talking about a whole new game. Who wants to have to throw away all those could have been shots. Sure you could just manually focus adjust all settings, and you should, sometimes. But it is certainly invaluable to able to choose what is auto and what is manual.

Last edited by anthlover; Oct 5, 2009 at 10:25 PM.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:12 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthlover View Post
The main thing the Metz AF58 has going for it is two Flash heads. You get the main unit that is the equal of the Canon on top of the unit. You also get a smaller front facing Firing head for fill. In short you can bounce and fill at the same time. Its a pretty cool feature.

I can't really argue with my friends here about the Tamron vs. the Canon, they are really close, despite what has been said. And note too that recently a version of the Tamron with IS was introduced. Although IS only helps at slow shutter speeds where shake is an issue. One might as well have it all other things being equal optically.

If Money is not an issue it is easy to choose the Canon. Although note too that Tamron Lenses have a 6 year warranty. I think the main deciding factor between the two is that Canon might focus faster, certainly a little more quietly.

Truthfully with the Canon 7D it would be really interesting to put up many lenses against each other. Also of note is that AF assist beam from a Flash produces an amazing difference. Just a plug for having that flash on much of the time.

Also I know I am preaching to the converted but I believe there is such a leaps and bounds difference in focus accuracy and image quality with 7D that the usual just throw the money at the Lenses does not apply. You can have the best glass in the world but if your image keeper rate is much lower (from a technical; focus + lighting perspective) versus composition with a little luck thrown in your really talking about a whole new game. Who wants to have to throw away all those could have been shots. Sure you could just manually focus adjust all settings, and you should, sometimes. But it is certainly invaluable to able to choose what is auto and what is manual.
Interesting post.

I think im making the right decision with the 7D and my mind is made up.

I shall look more into the Metz unit and get myself more knowledgeable about it before i decide on which Flash.

Thanks!