Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:33 AM   #61

Interesting thread (just read from beginning) and very timely for me. I own the T1i (but still within the 90 day trial period) and considering the 50D. My needs aren't nearly as specific as many above, but funds are more limited. Question is about lens. Bought T1i with kit 18-55 and less than thrilled with lens. Regarding the lens, if only purchasing one, how does this group feel about the Canon 18-200mm EF-S F/3.5-5.6 IS as a general purpose lens?

Your comments and feedback greatly appreciated.
rmericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 2:54 PM   #62
Super Moderator

What don't you like about the 18-55?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 5:46 PM   #63
Super Moderator

the 18-55 is is sharper than the 18-200... don't let the plastic construction and kit lens name fool you, its really quite good.

better off keeping the 18-55 and adding a telephoto. like the 55-250 IS, etc.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 8:54 PM   #64

okay so im getting ready to order my camera and lens tomorrow or the day after, finally!

I had a lingering thought I wanted to run by you guys and gals.....

So I really wanted to get the 17-55 F2.8 IS Lens and the Canon 7D and was simply just going to leave the Canon 70-200mm F4 IS out of the picture for probably until next year or even a little longer then that.

OR it hit me....

What about the kit lens that come with the Canon 7D such as the 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS

so what should I do...

Option A:
Canon 7D
Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS = $2760

Option B:
Canon 7D
Canon 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS
Canon 70-200mm 4.0 IS = $3135

Last edited by JayStar86; Oct 13, 2009 at 9:51 PM.
JayStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 9:23 PM   #65
Super Moderator

the 18-135 won't focus fast enough and is not fast enough for even/wedding stuff. it will be a nice travel, walkabout lens though.

get the 17-55 and save up for your 70-200 is.

alternately you can still get the 50d and 17-55/70-200 for not alot more. the 50d is a good body.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:08 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
the 18-135 won't focus fast enough and is not fast enough for even/wedding stuff. it will be a nice travel, walkabout lens though.

get the 17-55 and save up for your 70-200 is.

alternately you can still get the 50d and 17-55/70-200 for not alot more. the 50d is a good body.
since im thinking here on this.... do you think it would be possible to pull the 70-200 F4 IS lens as a walk around lens? and get the 17-55 2.8 later? Im getting a good price on one locally which is why i ask about the 70-200... its $250 less then anything i have found online or otherwise... so it is a good price right now on it.

your post did however make me realize these are the two lens i want and i shouldn't deviate from them.

so which should i get first then.... I do have a really basic Canon 18-55 3.5-5.6 right now.... which really is good for nothing at times... but i should give it credit for taking some pretty sharp pictures thought at times... its okay if mounted on a tripod.
JayStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 1:23 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
the 18-55 is is sharper than the 18-200... don't let the plastic construction and kit lens name fool you, its really quite good.

better off keeping the 18-55 and adding a telephoto. like the 55-250 IS, etc.

It was the clarity of the 18-55 that came with the "kit" that got me started looking for something different. Seemed inconsistent as to clarity under what were close to identical set ups. The reason for the 18 -200 question was really about simplifying things to get to one lens I could use most anytime/anywhere. Typcially shoot portrait and posed but also in places that candids, model & fashion events and even lanscapes get my attention.
rmericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 1:27 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmericks View Post
It was the clarity of the 18-55 that came with the "kit" that got me started looking for something different. Seemed inconsistent as to clarity under what were close to identical set ups. The reason for the 18 -200 question was really about simplifying things to get to one lens I could use most anytime/anywhere. Typcially shoot portrait and posed but also in places that candids, model & fashion events and even lanscapes get my attention.
So again - the 18-200 isn't as sharp as the kit lens so if you didn't like the clarity of the kit lens, you'd be taking a step back clarity wise by going with 18-200. Convenience and quality don't go together. Going from 18-55 to the 18-200 for convenience can make some sense but it is at the expense of quality. If you want better QUALITY then you need to be looking at different lenses altogether.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 5:24 PM   #69

Hi all,

This thread has been great, but I just can't seem to narrow it down. . .

At the bottom end of the spectrum there's the T1i, which I could kit up with more lenses, but I can't get the 7D out of my head. The 50D might be a "compromise" camera, but the 7D with kit 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS seems to be as good a place to start as any.

Here's my dilemma:

The body:
This would be my first digital SLR. I'd like to get into the hobby seriously and am looking for a good camera that would cover the spectrum from landscapes, wildlife, and action. I also want something I can grow into but, with the frantic pace of technology I am torn between entry level knowing I will upgrade in a year or two, or something a little more professional.

The lenses:
First off, I don't know whether to look at the Canon EF-S line or go straight to the EF line. As above, there seems to be good cost-savings realized by buying the body with a kit lens, but do I start there?

And into the Future?

At present I am leaning towards the 7D but was hoping for some expert input as well as a "wish list" where to go from there. Essentially this is your chance. . . If you were kitting up a new camera, and leaning towards the 7D (with or without the kit 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS lens) where would you go from there?

Priorities:

1. Good camera body;
2. Good initial walkabout lens;
3. Specialty lenses, most probably first telephoto and then into the wide-angle stuff;
4. A good macro lens; and,
5. Anybody’s guess from there.

I have the benefit of living and working in some of the most picturesque areas of Canada and am involved heavily in hot air and gas ballooning, allowing me to travel quite a bit and have many varied and interesting subjects to shoot. A good camera and walkabout lens that will cover 75%+ of my needs is where I’d like to start and branch out from there. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Craig.

Last edited by RCWestcott; Nov 21, 2009 at 5:28 PM.
RCWestcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 7:37 PM   #70

I've settled on the 7D, unless someone can dissuade me. . . The weather proofing alone makes it much more suitable for the applications I am planning. Now it's just down to one of two kits to start (and any additional information on where to go next):

1. Canon EOS 7D w/ 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS; or, for not much more,
2. Canon EOS 7D w/ 15-85mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM.

I just can't decide whether the 18-135mm will give me more functionality as a walkabout lens, and what next lens might suit should I go with the 15-85mm. I know the 18-135mm, should I go that way, isn’t the end all and be all, but it does seem more functional to the non-professional, should I find myself out with only this one lens handy. Thoughts?
RCWestcott is offline   Reply With Quote