Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 20, 2009, 9:37 PM   #1

Default Canon EOS 50D or T1i?

Hey there guys... needing a new more advanced dslr... I am eventually going to end up in Photography shcool by end of this year and the only requirement of the program camera wise is to have a camera that is dslr and 10.0mp or higher.... with that being said I find myself looking at the EOS 50D and the T1i...... obvious observation here is the big price difference.... what im looking from you guys is an opinion... is the 50D worth the extra $$$ in the long run...

I intend to use this camera for at-least 3-4 years.... will the 50D really provide me a significant advantage over the T1i... and if so in which areas in your opinion?

although I understand basic stuff with camera's I would rather get more experienced person's advice before i fork out the money..... im bit of a lost cause in this area and your input would be valued very much!
JayStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2009, 12:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayStar86 View Post
Hey there guys... needing a new more advanced dslr... I am eventually going to end up in Photography shcool by end of this year and the only requirement of the program camera wise is to have a camera that is dslr and 10.0mp or higher.... with that being said I find myself looking at the EOS 50D and the T1i...... obvious observation here is the big price difference.... what im looking from you guys is an opinion... is the 50D worth the extra $$$ in the long run...

I intend to use this camera for at-least 3-4 years.... will the 50D really provide me a significant advantage over the T1i... and if so in which areas in your opinion?

although I understand basic stuff with camera's I would rather get more experienced person's advice before i fork out the money..... im bit of a lost cause in this area and your input would be valued very much!
I considered purchasing the 40D some time back. The 40D and 50D are physically the same cameras (50D has some refinements/enhancements over the 40D generally making the 50D more desirable than the 40D).

The 40D/50D represent the start of the Canon semi-pro or pro rated gear. Just considering the build quality of these cameras versus the T1i, it is a no brainer to purchase the 40D/50D over the T1i.

The 40/50 are also physically larger and heavier cameras. Weight or size might be an issue for you. Personally, I like the larger camera because the layout and grip is better for my hands.

Performance wise, the 40/50D are faster, cleaner, greater options than the lesser cameras, though the T1i is seriously trying to close the gap. Yet little things like 6+fps, autofocus adjustment for up to 20 lenses, faster shutter and a better viewfinder on the 50D give the 50D the edge in performance over the T1i.

Entering Photo school? Trying to become a pro? Grab the 50D
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 1:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieDgpt View Post

Entering Photo school? Trying to become a pro? Grab the 50D
I will respectfully disagree. Any DSLR will allow you to do the basic course work. The key is what is the best way to spend your limited funds in order to build what you personally want as you move forward. Glass is, IMO, a MUCH better investment. From a 'just starting out' standpoint the 50d is going to provide the biggest benefit to a sports or wildlife shooter. If you are going to photography school to become a sports photographer or photojournalist - God help you - you will need it. Don't believe me? Do some searches on Sportsshooter.com. There are no jobs and papers across the country are cutting staff. So, if you'r going to do portrait or wedding work, the 50d doesn't give you any real benefit to justify the cost. BUT, that asside - a t1i with proper lens will outperform the 50d with improper lens in almost any shooting scenario. By the time you get done with school you'll be buying a new body anyways. The 50d only makes sense if you can afford the better lenses to go with it at this stage. So my advice is: buy the t1i with kit lens and save unused money for future lens purchases. You'll do much better buying quality glass AS YOU NEED IT (vs. as you want it) than putting all your money into a body.

You don't know what you'll want to shoot down the road and in a year your thoughts may change so don't break the bank now on a body.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 4:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
I will respectfully disagree. Any DSLR will allow you to do the basic course work. The key is what is the best way to spend your limited funds in order to build what you personally want as you move forward. Glass is, IMO, a MUCH better investment. From a 'just starting out' standpoint the 50d is going to provide the biggest benefit to a sports or wildlife shooter. If you are going to photography school to become a sports photographer or photojournalist - God help you - you will need it. Don't believe me? Do some searches on Sportsshooter.com. There are no jobs and papers across the country are cutting staff. So, if you'r going to do portrait or wedding work, the 50d doesn't give you any real benefit to justify the cost. BUT, that asside - a t1i with proper lens will outperform the 50d with improper lens in almost any shooting scenario. By the time you get done with school you'll be buying a new body anyways. The 50d only makes sense if you can afford the better lenses to go with it at this stage. So my advice is: buy the t1i with kit lens and save unused money for future lens purchases. You'll do much better buying quality glass AS YOU NEED IT (vs. as you want it) than putting all your money into a body.

You don't know what you'll want to shoot down the road and in a year your thoughts may change so don't break the bank now on a body.
this is the same conclusion I have come to myself.... I think a cheaper body will do me just fine for the two years im school and I would rather invest in glass that can be used on a more expensive body after I grad.... although I still think the 50d is a better camera i can do without for now.
Old May 23, 2009, 5:19 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I agree that getting better glass is going to give you a huge benefit over getting a 50D. Today I added the 500D/T1i to my kit of a 30D, 5D and 1D mkIII so I'm not a stranger to pro bodies and I'm honestly impressed. Yes it is smaller which means for me handling is not quite as good and access to some features are not quite as quick but for performance it seems very good. I mainly added to my bag for the video facility and it will replace the 30D as my backup camera in weddings.

There is nothing I can think of the that 50D can do for studio, portrait, landscape, macro shooting that the T1i can't. If you don't have accurate lenses then the micro adjustment is helpful but I have only had to set this for my non Canon glass, everything from Canon is spot on.

One thing that I think all cameras need and I have on my T1i, 30D and 5D is the battery grip as this allows much better feel especially in portrait orientation but also when holding normally they feel better. It's not essential to get but if you are shooting a lot I think you will find it a really big help.

Lastly to highlight a previous point, get good glass if at all possible, you really won't regret choosing the right lenses for what you want to do. I don't suggest getting lots of lenses in one go, start with the basics then see where you are finding gaps, things you would love to capture but can't, this will ensure the best use of your money.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 5:25 PM   #6
Administrator

Interesting Mark. I'm beginning to think video in a dSLR may be a nicer feature than I first thought if you're adding another camera for that ability. Since you're shooting weddings now, I can see where it would be nice to capture both stills and videos.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 5:41 PM   #7
Super Moderator

LOL, I just like learning and new challenges. Shooting video is certainly different, I've had a SX1 for about 4 months as I thought I fancied video but the 5D mkII was a bit over the top for trying something new. I found I enjoyed it but really had a longing to be able to shoot with shallow dof. With the 500D now being there it seemed like a good plan. I agree with lots of other people that both the 5D mkII and the 500D should have aperture control in video but I'm not going to complain. It will allow me to learn some more then hopefully something further down the line from Canon will give the control that is desired.

Now how much I will use it at weddings I'm not sure as probably the parts I will want to video I will be photographing and currently I don't shoot with an assistant but there could be some nice clips slipped in of candid video.

Anyway, it's a toy, I'm going to have some fun and see where it goes. I'm thinking that a fun project would be to do a promotional video for my golf club as they don't have one, I already have some ideas of what could be tried.
Old May 27, 2009, 12:40 PM   #8

thanks for the great advice everyone.... Now im starting to think I should just make do with my old Xti and not even bother buying the T1i for the time being...... what you guys say to that?
Old May 27, 2009, 12:58 PM   #9
Super Moderator

I would hold onto the money of the new body for now and put it towards some better glass and/or a flash as these could really help you. However I wouldn't splash out until you know what you are really going to benefit from.

The XTi has all the features/control that you will require in a photo course and it will never go out of date. No camera will, but it will not be as modern as some others. It will always produce the results that it can now (which are great) so you need not worry. As mentioned adding better glass will make the most difference.
Old May 27, 2009, 4:22 PM   #10

I'm with Mark. Spend money only as you NEED to. But still save it up on an ongoing basis so it's there when you determine you have a need. To me, there's still great benefit in teaching using film SLRs. Learning how to get the shot right IN CAMERA is a critical part of becoming a good photographer. So as a student there is no reason in the world why any DSLR on the market shouldn't be good enough to get going.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote