Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 23, 2009, 11:55 AM   #1

Default Need to pick one of these cameras! Help please, you photoguru's!

Hi. Iv'e been looking for a new camera for a while. Iv'e found these candidates;
  1. Fujifilm Finepix F100FD
  2. Fujifilm FinePix F60FD
  3. Canon Ixus 870
  4. Canon PowerShot A2000 IS
  5. Canon PowerShot A2100 IS
  6. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W230
  7. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W130
  8. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T300
  9. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W220
  10. Casio Exilim EX-S10
  11. Casio Exilim EX-Z270
  12. Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX35
  13. Samsung NV24HD

Could anyone please be a hero and point on one of these? Im really having a hard time picking one by my self.

Thank you so much!
Nilbrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2009, 12:25 PM   #2

Nilbrink-

Whoa, please! Before we can make a realistic move, tell us your budget and the kind of photos you are taking?? Particularly, if you are taking a lot of very low light level photos without flash.

Thanks for your help.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 12:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Nilbrink-

Whoa, please! Before we can make a realistic move, tell us your budget and the kind of photos you are taking?? Particularly, if you are taking a lot of very low light level photos without flash.

Thanks for your help.

Sarah Joyce
Haha, sorry. My budget is about $390. Most of the pictures i take is of nature, and i like macro. I prefer taking my photos without flash - i think it gives a more natural look. And not so much evening pictures.
http://www.pixbox.se/alb1064262 some samples with my old camera.

/ Robert
Old May 23, 2009, 1:02 PM   #4

Robert-

Many thanks for the rapid reply and welcome to the Forum.

I notice that you favor Sony Cameras, that you are not a resident of the USA, and that you past photos, based on the link you supplied, are very good indeed, and they show a lot of creativity.

Is the physical camera size, an issue here?

My thought was, that based on your photo skills, you could really expand on your photo potential with a camera that has more zoom, more dynamic range, and more exposure possibilities. Perhaps a Sony H-9 or the Sony H-50 would give you that added flexibility. The new Sony HX-1, a CMOS imager based camera is even here in the USA, where it is selling for $(US) 440.00, is beyond your budget.

If the camera's physical size is important, then take a look at the Panasonic TZ-5 and FX-35. Both are very capable cameras. If you look in the Sony Cameras Folder, there is an ongoing evaluation of the Sony HX-1 that might be interesting for you as well. We invite you to participate in that discussion as well.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 23, 2009 at 1:09 PM.
Old May 23, 2009, 1:19 PM   #5

Nilbrink-

I just reviewed a recent professional review of the Panasonic FX-35. I am making a guess that the 25mm wide angle and the small physical size are perhaps the appealing factors. However the FX-35 has issues with focus across the entire image. The center of the test photos were a bit soft, and the corners fell off quite measurably. The FX-35 does well up to an ISO setting of 400, and then the noise reduction begins to reduce image detail in the photos.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 23, 2009, 1:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Robert-

Many thanks for the rapid reply and welcome to the Forum.

I notice that you favor Sony Cameras, that you are not a resident of the USA, and that you past photos, based on the link you supplied, are very good indeed, and they show a lot of creativity.

Is the physical camera size, an issue here?

My thought was, that based on your photo skills, you could really expand on your photo potential with a camera that has more zoom, more dynamic range, and more exposure possibilities. Perhaps a Sony H-9 or the Sony H-50 would give you that added flexibility. The new Sony HX-1, a CMOS imager based camera is even here in the USA, where it is selling for $(US) 440.00, is beyond your budget.

If the camera's physical size is important, then take a look at the Panasonic TZ-5 and FX-35. Both are very capable cameras. If you look in the Sony Cameras Folder, there is an ongoing evaluation of the Sony HX-1 that might be interesting for you as well. We invite you to participate in that discussion as well.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for your advice The physical camera size is an issue, I want a compact one. The thing is that i've heard alot of good things about the Fujifilms, aswell as the Panasonic. Which one of the Panasonics you mentioned are best? And how do they separate from each other and the Fujifilms?
Thank you!
/Robert
Old May 23, 2009, 1:42 PM   #7

Robert-

The Fuji F-100 or the new F-200 EXR will easily beat the Panasonic FX-35. The Panasonic FZ 18 and FZ-28 which are both excellent have to be crossed off your list due to their size, as does the Sony H-9 and H-50.

I too, like Fujifilm cameras. based on your desire to a compact/smal/pocket size camera, it is most probably the F-100 or F-200 camera that will best suit your tastes and the kind of photos that you take.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 23, 2009, 1:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Robert-

The Fuji F-100 or the new F-200 EXR will easily beat the Panasonic FX-35. The Panasonic FZ 18 and FZ-28 which are both excellent have to be crossed off your list due to their size, as does the Sony H-9 and H-50.

I too, like Fujifilm cameras. based on your desire to a compact/smal/pocket size camera, it is most probably the F-100 or F-200 camera that will best suit your tastes and the kind of photos that you take.

Sarah Joyce
Thank you, finally a straight answer! I think i will go for the F-200 EXR. My birthday is coming up so I guess i'll be able to scramble up some extra money. The forums here in Sweden didn't please me, they're not active and proffessional as this forum seems to be. Again; thanks so much, and I guess I'll be back :wink

EDIT:
And im back
As i was cruisin' the web looking for the cheapest Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR in Sweden, i found that the cheapest was $487. Then i found a second-handFujifilm FinePix F100 for $247. So - how big difference are there between them? Is the F200 worth twice as much?

Thank you.

Last edited by Nilbrink; May 23, 2009 at 2:12 PM.
Old May 23, 2009, 2:37 PM   #9

Robert-

The F-200 EXR addressed the high ISO performance of the F-100. The F-100 was an excellent camera, but it was sort of limited, IQ-wise to ISO settings of 800 and below.

So to very directly answer your question, IMO, I would go for the F-100, because although the F-200 is supposed to use the new EXR imager, I do not believe that the performance of the F-200 is TWICE as good as the F-100.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 23, 2009, 2:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Robert-

The F-200 EXR addressed the high ISO performance of the F-100. The F-100 was an excellent camera, but it was sort of limited, IQ-wise to ISO settings of 800 and below.

So to very directly answer your question, IMO, I would go for the F-100, because although the F-200 is supposed to use the new EXR imager, I do not believe that the performance of the F-200 is TWICE as good as the F-100.

Sarah Joyce
Okey! I now found the F200 in Australia, for 249.74- You think i should go for that? Or get the F100 here in Sweden. Im in no rush to buy it.
( http://www.digitalrev.com/en/fujifil...0&match_type=1 )